• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squidkids Presents: Tips On Movement

Hello squids and kids, here is a video from a new Youtube channel called: Squidkids! That last sentence was a doozy so try to keep up. Squidkids is a new Youtube channel designed to give all those up and coming Splatoon players tips, tricks, and advanced techniques to step up their game to a whole new level. This new video gives some great tips on movement, give it a watch!

Want to see more videos? Be sure to check out Squidkids on Youtube and subscribe for more fresh content. Now get on some fresh gear, grab a weapon of choice, and get out there and try this out in a game!

Comments

ayy its the MySmashCornerGuy. He does these so well. Glad to have him aboard the splatoon hype boat

Jumping doesn't really increase range. It just makes it so that the ink has farther to fall, so it goes a few inches further. Jumping also increases your spread, so it's harder to hit enemies. Also, you're left much more vulnerable, as you can't squid mode to move at any time. Once people get used to aiming at enemies who are jumping, it will no longer have much of a use in combat.

TL;DR: stay grounded, usually.

That said, I really like these videos. They have a lot of professionalism, which is nice to see in such a fledgling community
@Aweshucks
I would agree with your point about spread becoming too wide for that technique to be viable for some guns, but not all. think of it this way, you've probably fired the .96 gal, the chargable squiffer (the sniper), or the flick of the paint roller, none of those weapons are really effected by that problem, and the trade off is probably still favorable for the other weapons that do loose accuracy when firing while jumping to increase range. But I guess neither of us is right until somebody does a really good in depth test of the guns.

As a beginner this channel will help me a lot!

If the quality of that channel is going to be like the quality of my smash corner... this could even help some better players!

I'm already exited for new stuff!

@Aweshucks
I would agree with your point about spread becoming too wide for that technique to be viable for some guns, but not all. think of it this way, you've probably fired the .96 gal, the chargable squiffer (the sniper), or the flick of the paint roller, none of those weapons are really effected by that problem, and the trade off is probably still favorable for the other weapons that do loose accuracy when firing while jumping to increase range. But I guess neither of us is right until somebody does a really good in depth test of the guns.
Oh yeah, I use chargers, including the squiffer, a lot. I still don't usually jump with them because it messes with my aim and maneuverability, but you're right in that I don't think it affect the spread on them

That's why your better off using them when under fire. Escaping to live another day is better than dieing after all.
It's best just to shoot a stream of ink then run as fast as you can, people will be either forced to chase you in the same way or abandon the chase. (People will always chase you for a kill 90% of the time)

What most people do not do is super jump to base camp, better to do that than to lose 10 seconds of the match + half special gauge.

It's best just to shoot a stream of ink then run as fast as you can, people will be either forced to chase you in the same way or abandon the chase. (People will always chase you for a kill 90% of the time)

What most people do not do is super jump to base camp, better to do that than to lose 10 seconds of the match + half special gauge.
Well something along those lines was what I was thinking about. Challenging head-on is not wise decision that would certainly get you killed which is why escaping somehow is best.

The only thing about jumping I do not like is I cannot move the control stick and jump at the same time, so I must quickly alternate between them.
Learn how to claw. Use your middle finger to hit the trigger, which frees up your pointer finger and thump for joystick and button control simultaneously. A little weird on the WiiU pad, but it's a VERY important skill to learn if you want to take console shooters seriously.

Also, with motion controls clawing isn't very necessary, I'm just assuming you're playing with no motion controls though.

Really, whether you jump around or stay grounded in an attack comes down what weapon you are up against.
  • V.S. chargers, DEFINITELY jump around.
  • V.S. rollers, you are better on the ground v.s. all of them due to the ability to squid away if they get too close or jump over them.
  • V.S. the Inkbrush or Octobrush, you are better off grounded as you don't want them to be able to track your location due to how quickly they close down space ready to attack you with a flurry of swings which rack up damage stupidly fast (that and jumping doesn't make it harder for them to hit you anyway).
  • V.S. guns, it comes down to which weapon you are up against.
    • If it has a very short range and/or a low fire rate, such as any blaster, .52 Gal, .96 Gal or the Splattershot Jr., you are better off jumping to make it harder for them to follow you.
    • If it has a high fire rate and a medium-to-long range, such as the Splattershot, N-Zap '85/'89, Splash-O-Matic or the Jet Squelcher, you want to be grounded so that you can make a quick retreat.
All of the techniques in the video are situational, so only use them if you deem necessary in your current situation. As a Splattershot and Splash-O-Matic player, I find them all very useful at times. With weapons such as splat chargers though, you are better off not using splatter dashing or splat jumping. Definitely be creative at all times though, as that will result in you being a significantly more optimal player than someone with a traditional FPS mindset.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, charger mains cannot utilize this to the fullest extent since it hinders charge time while in mid air :(. One can however charge for a little while on the ground and jump while accurately shooting their opponent but i believe what a better investment would be to stay calm and practice predicting your opponent's trajectory both in the air and when swimming. Snapping snipes is incredibly useful in both situations. Should you miss, Never stay in the same spot or you will die. Go for a quick retreat or reposition to attempt for a second shot for better success while they are stuck in their trajectory. Squids love to splat predictable chargers, try to move around a bit and let them know what hit them.

Learn how to claw. Use your middle finger to hit the trigger, which frees up your pointer finger and thump for joystick and button control simultaneously. A little weird on the WiiU pad, but it's a VERY important skill to learn if you want to take console shooters seriously.

Also, with motion controls clawing isn't very necessary, I'm just assuming you're playing with no motion controls though.
don't think that works so well with the gamepad

it's fine though. Playing Sm4sh has gotten me good at switching between control stick and buttons quickly

don't think that works so well with the gamepad

it's fine though. Playing Sm4sh has gotten me good at switching between control stick and buttons quickly
Nah. Its easy once you get the muscle memory for gripping the control stick with your index finger down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom