Squidtrotting: Fast, reliable stealth swimming for non-ninja squid users

Silvaitos

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Silvaitos
I recently discovered a new technique while trying to figure out how to remain efficient at sneaking in plain sight without ninja squid. If you're like me, you like to sneak around in the ink, but without ninja squid have a hard time controlling the gentle tilting of the control stick well enough to accelerate quickly, maintain a decent clip, and reliably refrain from going so fast that you make waves. You'd love to make use of the stealth swim, but making it reliable and fast under pressure with stick tilting is nearly impossible. I'm here to talk about a new technique I developed which makes it easy.

How fast can the manual stealth swim be? How does that compare to ninja squid?
About 70% of whatever your maximum swim speed is, provided perfect control--or good use of this new technique.

Ninja squid is 90%, at the cost of not having the option to swim at 100%. So, ninja squid is 28.5% faster than the manual stealth swim's highest potential, which might be essential for things like a carbon roller. For someone who might be just thinking about sneaking around with their .96 gal like me, 70% should be plenty. The problem is usually that the manual stealth swim is hard to do reliably at the correct speed and often has a slow acceleration due to the gentle control stick tilting.

What does this technique of yours do?
With squidtrotting, I can reliably, with high acceleration, and under pressure, maintain a stealth swim speed of around 65% (130% run speed) at my current practice level. I've successfully used it to vanish from view and flank people in firefights, quickly duck away from krakens, and efficiently stalk unsuspecting targets who I'd otherwise be in the view of--everything you'd normally use ninja squid for, just a little slower in terms of max speed--and just as strong in acceleration, often a vital point in high stress situations.

Okay, so what's the technique?
1. Press full tilt on the control stick. Your squid will begin to accelerate as fast as they can in the direction they're swimming, but not create ripples at first because they haven't accelerated up past 70% speed yet.
2. When you're approaching the ripple-causing threshhold (which you'll know by developing a sense of), let off the control stick for a split second.
3. Press fully forward on the control stick again, giving another brief full throttle.
4. Let off.
5. Repeat as long as needed.

Video:

This clip is meant to more clearly explain the execution but doesn't fully express the technique's potential.
The squidtrotting in this clip is slower than what you can expect. I normally squidtrot about 20% faster, but it was awkward to perform the technique as well as I can while filming with a cell phone. My hope is that this will nevertheless give a clearer idea of how the execution looks and feels. The sound is included so you can hear how I'm tapping the control stick.

Squidtrotting is something one of my best buddies I was showing it to dubbed it because I compared the input to super smash brothers foxtrotting. The only difference is that you might hold the control stick slightly before releasing, rather than just flicking it.

I've found it really gamechanging for making quick, usable stealth accessible for non-ninja-squid users without having to trifle with delicate, slow-accelerating control stick tilts. I hope you all, or a few of you, find it as rewarding as I did!

Extra notes
One person asked if the tech is affected by swim speed. Based on my tests: Yes! The threshhold is always 70% of whatever your maximum is, not the base swim speed.

I also find that practically speaking, it increases even my stealth swim max speed a ton. I think it's worth stressing. Since the tilt is so sensitive, without squidtrotting I have a hard time stealth swimming faster than about 40% with very low acceleration. Any faster than that and I find myself accidentally overthrottling and making ripples. But this technique lets me consistently and reliably use ~65% with maximum acceleration. In that sense I'm stealth swimming faster than ever with very little error.

Last edited:

Silvaitos

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Silvaitos
rip stealth squid

does swim speed up benefit this at all or not really?
I'm sure it'll still be used for carbon rollers and ssjr and stuff, or just people who like it! But I agree, this is a great, highly serviceable stealthing option for non-ninja squids, like my cold blooded self.

Yes--I should add a point to the main thread to clear that up. Based on my tests, the stealth swim cap is always 70% of whatever your maximum swim speed is. So if your maximum swim speed is 120% of base swim speed, your stealth swim cap is (120% * 70%) = 84% of base swim speed.

StaffofSmashing

Senior Squid
NNID
Lolu83
My Forge Pro play got a lot better.
However, i found just rapidly full throtle-ing at a fast pace does this better, as you'll still do a burst, but the bursts will be much more frequent and consistant

Charlight

Meme Spy
Is holding the left stick only part of the way forward slower than doing this? Sure, it might be a little bit hard to do, but it's easy to get down with a little practice :P

Silvaitos

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Silvaitos
My Forge Pro play got a lot better.
However, i found just rapidly full throtle-ing at a fast pace does this better, as you'll still do a burst, but the bursts will be much more frequent and consistant
Cool! I'll try that out for sure.

Is holding the left stick only part of the way forward slower than doing this? Sure, it might be a little bit hard to do, but it's easy to get down with a little practice :p
In terms of top speed it depends how good you are at either. The maximum stealth swim speed with perfect control is about 70%. I can't get this personally without taking tons of time to carefully wiggle the stick in to the right place. Without making errors, I can achieve around 40% speed by tilting and 65% speed by trotting, so it's faster for me.

In terms of acceleration I believe trotting is always faster since you can flick the controller in to place to get started and you're giving yourself a full throttle rather than a partial one.

Charlight

Meme Spy
Cool! I'll try that out for sure.

In terms of top speed it depends how good you are at either. The maximum stealth swim speed with perfect control is about 70%. I can't get this personally without taking tons of time to carefully wiggle the stick in to the right place. Without making errors, I can achieve around 40% speed by tilting and 65% speed by trotting, so it's faster for me.

In terms of acceleration I believe trotting is always faster since you can flick the controller in to place to get started and you're giving yourself a full throttle rather than a partial one.
Sweet. This looks really useful. :D

Zero Emission

Inkster Jr.
To be honest. It doesn't look that good in a firefight or any time your entire team isn't dead. Most of the time you want to stay mobile.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
There is now NO REASON ANYONE SHOULD BE USING NINJA SWIM it's a crutch, whereas cold blooded completely counters one of the most useful specials in the game.

Silvaitos

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Silvaitos
It would be interesting to see a comparison video of Squidtrotting vs Ninja Squid vs Full Speed. RIP favorite shirt special ;(
I mean--it's still a markedly faster stealth swim! Maybe for the right person, high-maximum-speed stealth swimming will be essential for them. Squidtrotting is great for short-range or medium-pace stealth ops but the fact it's appreciably slower than ninja squid in terms of max speed might stand out a bit more when sneaking across large swatches of land in a hurry, or when rushing up to someone as fast as you can for a surprise kill with a roller, brush or SMG.

I don't have a video, but here are some numbers:

Ninja squid: 90%
Maximum stealth swim/theoretical maximum attainable squidtrotting speed: ~70% (ninja squid 1.285x as fast)
My usual squidtrotting speed in a real match: ~65% (ninja squid 1.385x as fast)
My squidtrotting speed in the demo video where I'm also holding a phone: ~55% (ninja squid 1.64x as fast)

So even at its best, that's a big chunk of speed difference.

Of course, it sounds like people are in the boat I'm in where they like having a high acceleration, PRETTY fast stealth swim, AND the unhindered maximum swim speed, AND the extra touch of stealth or utility that cold blooded and another main has to offer.

I guess it makes ninja squid more specialized. Basic efficient sneaking is accessible to all of us now. Ninja squid, I'm hoping, will still have a place in the heart of the real rush-sneaks.

Last edited:

Power

Inkling Commander
I could probably work on a video regarding the difference soon. Unless someone beats me to the punch, I should have it by tomorrow if I am able to play. (Im a newb at editng, so that may take a bit more time) A while back I had a feeling that this method of movement could become relevant but I hadn't thought much of it. It would be great to hear more experiences with this technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom