• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Super Mario Sunshine Splatoon Crossover Potentially Leaked

Be warned, it is near E3 and fake leaks can be rather abundant. However Splatoon fans on Twitter and all over online are currently buzzing about a potential leak involving Mario amiibo and Splatoon. Comparisons of Mario Sunshine and Splatoon have been frequently made to the point where someone proposed Splatoon was in an alternate timeline to the game. While other jokes have been made about Mario taking his F.L.U.D.D. to clean up all of the ink being thrown down, there is a slight chance this may soon be a reality.

This image has been popping up and sent to varying Twitter accounts which would seem to lead people to believe that Mario's amiibo might be able to unlock some sort of Super Mario Sunshine related weapon, costume, or in game event. While there are certainly oddities in the pictures (like the Japanese Super Mario Sunshine logo and the American Splatoon logo side by side) there is some other strange circumstantial evidence that is leading folks to believe this could have a grain of truth.

A while back the amiibo website for Dr. Mario actually showed that it was compatible with Splatoon before being changed to no longer show this compatibility. While this isn't a direct Mario amiibo showing something to do with Splatoon Reddit user ZoomBoppo has done studies on the coding of amiibo which reveal many similarities between Dr. Mario and Mario showing that one might be able to be used exactly the same as the other in other Nintendo titles. If this is correct, it would mean that If Mario was compatible with Splatoon Dr. Mario would be as well which could make this previously edited oddity much more than a simple mistake.

For those worried famed creator of fake leaks ArtsyOmni is behind this one don't be. He has publicly announced that this is not the case. However he is also Tweeting out some of his thoughts on this leak and its potential to be real or fake that are truly interesting. Anyone looking to discuss if the leak is potentially fake or not should check out these thoughts from an expert creator of fake leaks

So is it real or fake? Only time will truly tell so we'll leave this one up to the fans for now. Share us those thoughts on this potential leak in the comments below and stay tuned to Squidboards for more coverage!

SmashCapps will keep his eyes open for any updates on the situation. To keep up with any breaking Splatoon news follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

Comments

All I'm saying is i really hope this is fake. I think splatoon should be its own game and not leach off the Mario franchise. And do we really need to play as Mario? There's so many other games for that.

I don't think the game would necessarily be ruined just because ONE Mario related thing is in there. I'm pretty sure this game has it's own identity, add-on or not.

Super Mario Sunshine was an awesome game, and hat a lot to do with ink. I totally support this. We need more Nintendo gear imo.

I'm pretty sure this is fake. Nowadays you need MUCH more than a bad quality picture to prove things are real. However the Smash leak showing Duck Hunt and Dr.Mario was true, so it's not 100% out the window. Fingers crossed however, I would love this.

Was going to say SmashCapps should know by now not to post fake leaks, but that Dr. Mario amiibo thing gives it some credence. Some.

The figures work something like (Mario)>(Doc) or (Link)>(Toon) when it comes to unlocking stuff, as evidenced by Toon Link unlocking Hyrule Warriors's spinner weapon and Yoshi's Woolly World's "1-player co-op" second Yoshi being made of yarn or plastic depending on the amiibo.

I'll keep an eye on this one, but I'm going to stay pessimistic.

If this is real, I am super hyped! I would love to see FLUDD as a weapon, and even a Delfino Plaza stage included in the game. This could be the update that makes me play Sunshine and remember the game that it was....

The Japanese Splatoon logo is suppose to have sub titles, Mario is literally a photoshop photo from Sunshine, and the Japanese amiibo logo is suppose to have subtitles. I can't see how anyone can think this is real.

What if Mario is an unlockable boss rather than a playable character? Maybe by beating him you can unlock the F.L.U.D.D. as a weapon? Either way, a nice fake or interesting crossover.. we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom