• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Swim/Run Speed up in Rainmaker?

Moonshoes

Inkster Jr.
I'm the type of person who obsessively focuses on the objective: constantly turfing the zone, hopping on the tower when the opportunity is available, and popping the rainmaker shield and snagging it right away

Now, as an octobrush main, I was wondering if it was worth running more :ability_swimspeed: if I were to be carrying the rainmaker through the ink. Or, if I'm using gun-based weapons, should I run more :ability_runspeed: (especially in Camp Triggerfish where one of the routes to the podium would be to run up the rope bridge)?

If this type of thread has been created, it would be great to direct it to me since this could be a thread for competitive discussion or gear discussion but this can also depend on opinions as well. Idk.

Much help would be appreciated :)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Ooh~, an objective pusher! I think I like you already.

I feel you may have to choose based on map and your strategy. For example, if Kelp Dome is an option do you plan on mostly swimming with the rainmaker or do you plan to run along the catwalk with it more often? Then adjust accordingly.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Either way, two mains of your preferred mobility boost should be enough, combined with your abilities. If you're confident in your ability to rush with the rainmaker, consider Opening Gambit for the crazy speed boost that temporarily gives.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
stacking swim speed can really make a difference if you're committed to pushing the rainmaker, even 3 mains can make you lightning fast. if you can afford it in your build I would definitely say to go for it, swim speed is a nice staple in a lot of general octobrush builds, too! win-win overall :>

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I've got a slightly different take on RM-carrying sets. When I'm using the SM Neo and decide that I'm going to play the objective (don't like this set on any other weapons, apart from, possibly, some blasters), I try to run something like :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkresistance:. This takes an extra hit from the majority of Shooters and will also often help withstand indirect blaster damage, which can allow for getaways that'd otherwise be impossible even with more speed investment. [Edited addendum: of course, this isn't possible with natural rolls. I always keep an eye out for pure or shiny Defence Up gear to order with Spyke, as I'm a goody-two-shoes and play by the game's rules and suffer for it... .]

But it doesn't allow for the same sorts of mad dashes that :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_inkresistance::ability_unknown: would, so it plays to a more conservative style of carrying, and you have to be careful not to blow up your team if your minute elapses (heheh...).

Regardless, I strongly recommend :ability_inkresistance: if you're not running it already - it increases effective mobility immensely.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Swim Speed Up works better on getting you somewhere fast, unless it's Hammerhead or maybe Kelp Dome where you'll be better off with Run Speed Up. I commonly use Run Speed Up to faster adjust the spacing between me and my opponent when we're firing directly at eachother.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Rainmaker and stacking massive swim speed ups is my absolute favorite way to play this game. I personally prefer swim speed over run speed for all levels because, when you start moving up the ranks, run speed up isn't going to save you if you are running on grates and players from the other team are trying to shoot you. They'll hit you easily and you'll be done. On the other hand, I've gotten away from the enemy too many times to count while they were shooting at me simply by being a fast swimmer. Also, regardless of the level, I spend much more time swimming than running.

Also, I agree with Cuttleshock that Ink Resistance Up is quite nice. This is actually the only mode I use it in.

Still if you want the best of both worlds, it is possible. The Krak-On 528 shirt and Oyster Clogs shoes both have run speed mains and their brand means they have an enhanced probability of rolling swim speed if you don't mind cashing in a few snails. Also, the Black Baseball LS shirt and White Kicks shoes have swim speed up mains and an enhanced probability of rolling run speed due to their brand. I blew about 45 snails getting perfect rolls on the Black Baseball LS and Oyster Clogs and I wear them all the time. It's great!

Edit: These comments assume you are carrying the RM, and Hammerhead is very arguably an exception where run speed may be better than or at least equal to swim speed.

Last edited:

Moonshoes

Inkster Jr.
Ooh~, an objective pusher! I think I like you already.

I feel you may have to choose based on map and your strategy. For example, if Kelp Dome is an option do you plan on mostly swimming with the rainmaker or do you plan to run along the catwalk with it more often? Then adjust accordingly.

I am pretty likable from what I hear

Also, totally forgot about Kelp Dome. I don't take that specific route often unless it's obvious that the opposition is wiped out

Moonshoes

Inkster Jr.
stacking swim speed can really make a difference if you're committed to pushing the rainmaker, even 3 mains can make you lightning fast. if you can afford it in your build I would definitely say to go for it, swim speed is a nice staple in a lot of general octobrush builds, too! win-win overall :>
I'm already running a main swim speed (:clothes_swt000:) and the red high tops that has two sub swim speed, but if I do some experimentation maybe I can squeeze some more swim speed. Cuz, ya know, gotta go fast

Moonshoes

Inkster Jr.
I've got a slightly different take on RM-carrying sets. When I'm using the SM Neo and decide that I'm going to play the objective (don't like this set on any other weapons, apart from, possibly, some blasters), I try to run something like :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkresistance:. This takes an extra hit from the majority of Shooters and will also often help withstand indirect blaster damage, which can allow for getaways that'd otherwise be impossible even with more speed investment. [Edited addendum: of course, this isn't possible with natural rolls. I always keep an eye out for pure or shiny Defence Up gear to order with Spyke, as I'm a goody-two-shoes and play by the game's rules and suffer for it... .]

But it doesn't allow for the same sorts of mad dashes that :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_inkresistance::ability_unknown: would, so it plays to a more conservative style of carrying, and you have to be careful not to blow up your team if your minute elapses (heheh...).

Regardless, I strongly recommend :ability_inkresistance: if you're not running it already - it increases effective mobility immensely.
Yo, I never thought of defense up! Especially with indirect blaster ranges that always seems to get to me. I'll definitely consider it, even finding the right gear for it will be tough. I also already run ink resistance with the spiffy red high tops. Thanks for the ideas!

Moonshoes

Inkster Jr.
Rainmaker and stacking massive swim speed ups is my absolute favorite way to play this game. I personally prefer swim speed over run speed for all levels because, when you start moving up the ranks, run speed up isn't going to save you if you are running on grates and players from the other team are trying to shoot you. They'll hit you easily and you'll be done. On the other hand, I've gotten away from the enemy too many times to count while they were shooting at me simply by being a fast swimmer. Also, regardless of the level, I spend much more time swimming than running.

Also, I agree with Cuttleshock that Ink Resistance Up is quite nice. This is actually the only mode I use it in.

Still if you want the best of both worlds, it is possible. The Krak-On 528 shirt and Oyster Clogs shoes both have run speed mains and their brand means they have an enhanced probability of rolling swim speed if you don't mind cashing in a few snails. Also, the Black Baseball LS shirt and White Kicks shoes have swim speed up mains and an enhanced probability of rolling run speed due to their brand. I blew about 45 snails getting perfect rolls on the Black Baseball LS and Oyster Clogs and I wear them all the time. It's great!

Edit: These comments assume you are carrying the RM, and Hammerhead is very arguably an exception where run speed may be better than or at least equal to swim speed.
Better start looking for those oyster clogs! Although you make a good point in regards to run speed up, as that does tend to happen no matter the range, while with swimming through the ink you can pull off some amazing dodging with it

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You definitely need to use ink resistance up, because red hi-tops are the shoes that have been, and will be forevermore, the freshest shoes in existence.

Also, swim speed is superior in all but 2 maps(hammerhead and trigger-fish) because you are invisible on the mini map when ink swimming.
Aaaaaaand defense up is definitely a good way to go, but my personal stance on defense vs speed is "The best way to survive getting shot is to not get shot at all"

On that topic, I do have a very nice defense speed hybrid outfit I made around december, though I have since switched to nigh pure swim speed outfit... that looks super fresh.
Headgear = Lightweight cap is swim speed main, inkline defense subs
Clothing = Mountain vest is same as above^^^^^^
Shoes = a lot of options
Red hi tops(ink resist and swim), squid stitch slip-ons(defense and swim), pro trail boots(bomb smeller and defense)
or Bannana shoes(lol bannana feet... also bomb smeller and swim)

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Yep! Being invisible and audio cues are why I avoid using the rainmaker whenever I get ahold of it. And I try to stay out of view when I can so they'll never see the glow.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
You definitely need to use ink resistance up, because red hi-tops are the shoes that have been, and will be forevermore, the freshest shoes in existence.

Also, swim speed is superior in all but 2 maps(hammerhead and trigger-fish) because you are invisible on the mini map when ink swimming.
Aaaaaaand defense up is definitely a good way to go, but my personal stance on defense vs speed is "The best way to survive getting shot is to not get shot at all"

On that topic, I do have a very nice defense speed hybrid outfit I made around december, though I have since switched to nigh pure swim speed outfit... that looks super fresh.
Headgear = Lightweight cap is swim speed main, inkline defense subs
Clothing = Mountain vest is same as above^^^^^^
Shoes = a lot of options
Red hi tops(ink resist and swim), squid stitch slip-ons(defense and swim), pro trail boots(bomb smeller and defense)
or Bannana shoes(lol bannana feet... also bomb smeller and swim)
Ha ha! Whenever I run Ink Resistance Up in RM it is always the Red Hi-Tops! Heck, I'm doing it now, and though it's still early, I'm already "Smokin'" (please let me get to "SO HAWT" so Judd has to give me the goods)! ;)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
My Red Hi-Tops have a really cute set in :ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed:, which I've never troubled to reroll because, like, more balanced speed is neat, right?

By the way, re:my shiny Squid-Stitches - there's no piece of gear in any slot which has that same set as a natural roll. So I eagerly anticipate the day when I'll actually have a sensible reason to use them. Bomb Range/Defence Up may seem unorthodox, but I'm sure that, say, the Custom Jet could make good use of it! If I ever were to touch the weapon.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
It really depends on the map if you want to stack run, swim, or both.

Usually stacking run means you don't want ink resist because you don't need it for grates, just wear a pure instead.

It's really not weapon dependant, which is why you'll see run speed luna on hammerhead, etc, but sometimes things like swim speed zimi aren't going to be the best idea so you're better off running a different weapon or simply not stacking speed for rainmaker.

SplatGrease

Senior Squid
NNID
splatsplatoon
unable to say really i love run speed up so i use it all the time so id never know any differance

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.

This is my standard gotta go fast shooter set. It works well for rainmaker, and just about any mode really. I love this clothing set. It's a great balance of both run and swim speed. With a few subs to assist for random tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom