• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Swim/Run Speed up in Rainmaker?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Usually stacking run means you don't want ink resist because you don't need it for grates, just wear a pure instead.
That surprises me somewhat. Even on stages like Hammerhead, there are pretty important alternate routes and you're not always going to be on grates even if you take the most direct path. I'd imagine that, if you're already carrying at least 3 Mains of Run Speed, Ink Resist pays out much better than more Run.
It's really not weapon dependant, which is why you'll see run speed luna on hammerhead, etc, but sometimes things like swim speed zimi aren't going to be the best idea so you're better off running a different weapon or simply not stacking speed for rainmaker.
Off-topic but I'm curious - what's wrong with those two weapon/ability sets? Does the Luna want to strafe slower to get more consistent directs and the ZiMi just not want to spend more slots after its usual Run Speed investment?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
That surprises me somewhat. Even on stages like Hammerhead, there are pretty important alternate routes and you're not always going to be on grates even if you take the most direct path. I'd imagine that, if you're already carrying at least 3 Mains of Run Speed, Ink Resist pays out much better than more Run.
True true. But on that home stretch, whether you take the direct route or the sides, there will be a bit of running involved. For me, sometimes in the opposite direction when everyone is fighting to pop the bubble along the walk or my team wants to use me as a beakon. And offence or defence, being on the walk offers a high ground advantage for me.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel

Off-topic but I'm curious - what's wrong with those two weapon/ability sets? Does the Luna want to strafe slower to get more consistent directs and the ZiMi just not want to spend more slots after its usual Run Speed investment?
Movement speed doesn't really start significantly scaling until after 4 mains, so if we're talking about stacking we're talking about ~4 mains. Ink resist doesn't do enough to let you just walk through enemy ink anyway, so if you're stacking run to sprint on the grates and don't otherwise need ink resist I don't recommend using it.

Swim speed on the other hand I can definitely see ink resist being a good idea since you're going to be moving through ink while swimming.

Remember that if we're stacking (not just adding a little bit of extra movement, seriously stacking), we're building for that one game-winning push. The reason to stack run speed is for the grate sprint, and ink resist isn't going to help you there.

Run speed doesn't affect blasters while firing so it's kinda wasted slots for combat, and ~4 mains swim doesn't really allow for zimi to stack the run it typically wants (although sanic zimi is definitely viable). Swim speed zimi is at the point where you're better off with tri slosher or something because zimi is so gear-dependant, where as luna really isn't gear-dependant so it can afford to build seemingly worthless abilities for the rainmaker.

⭐️Zapfish⭐️

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meggiemooshoo
For rainmaker (and all modes, maps, and everything really,) I think that :ability_swimspeed: is essential. Depending on the stage, :ability_runspeed: can be helpful too. For example, if I'm in Hammerhead Bridge, there are tons of grates that form the bridge so I'll use :ability_runspeed:.

Welp, I know which ones I need to use- now I need to actually use them. :p

Moonshoes

Inkster Jr.
OP here! I'm glad to see the major response and feedback from so many people! It's great to see a lot of contribution to a post I thought no one would think of just looking at. Rainmaker is a mode I'm always either really good at or really bad at, and this helps my perspective on how to take charge and run/swim the rainmaker to that podium! :D

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
depends on the maps...if there are grates run speed up is a better idea than swim speed up. It seems like a little swim speed up goes a disproportionately long way when u carry the RM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom