1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Swim/Run Speed up in Rainmaker?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Moonshoes, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Cuttleshock
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6317-8240-9812
    That surprises me somewhat. Even on stages like Hammerhead, there are pretty important alternate routes and you're not always going to be on grates even if you take the most direct path. I'd imagine that, if you're already carrying at least 3 Mains of Run Speed, Ink Resist pays out much better than more Run.
    Off-topic but I'm curious - what's wrong with those two weapon/ability sets? Does the Luna want to strafe slower to get more consistent directs and the ZiMi just not want to spend more slots after its usual Run Speed investment?

Ansible likes this.
  2. Ansible

Ansible Squid Savior From the Future
    Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    True true. But on that home stretch, whether you take the direct route or the sides, there will be a bit of running involved. For me, sometimes in the opposite direction when everyone is fighting to pop the bubble along the walk or my team wants to use me as a beakon. And offence or defence, being on the walk offers a high ground advantage for me.

Cuttleshock likes this.
  3. Hitzel

Hitzel Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Hitzelburger
    Movement speed doesn't really start significantly scaling until after 4 mains, so if we're talking about stacking we're talking about ~4 mains. Ink resist doesn't do enough to let you just walk through enemy ink anyway, so if you're stacking run to sprint on the grates and don't otherwise need ink resist I don't recommend using it.

Swim speed on the other hand I can definitely see ink resist being a good idea since you're going to be moving through ink while swimming.

Remember that if we're stacking (not just adding a little bit of extra movement, seriously stacking), we're building for that one game-winning push. The reason to stack run speed is for the grate sprint, and ink resist isn't going to help you there.

Run speed doesn't affect blasters while firing so it's kinda wasted slots for combat, and ~4 mains swim doesn't really allow for zimi to stack the run it typically wants (although sanic zimi is definitely viable). Swim speed zimi is at the point where you're better off with tri slosher or something because zimi is so gear-dependant, where as luna really isn't gear-dependant so it can afford to build seemingly worthless abilities for the rainmaker.

4. Pteropine

Pteropine Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    RennyKlavan
    I always go swim speed ups (and for weapon always wasabi lol)

⭐️Zapfish⭐️ likes this.
  5. ⭐️Zapfish⭐️

⭐️Zapfish⭐️ Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    meggiemooshoo
    For rainmaker (and all modes, maps, and everything really,) I think that :ability_swimspeed: is essential. Depending on the stage, :ability_runspeed: can be helpful too. For example, if I'm in Hammerhead Bridge, there are tons of grates that form the bridge so I'll use :ability_runspeed:.

Welp, I know which ones I need to use- now I need to actually use them. :p

6. Moonshoes

Moonshoes Inkster Jr.

OP here! I'm glad to see the major response and feedback from so many people! It's great to see a lot of contribution to a post I thought no one would think of just looking at. Rainmaker is a mode I'm always either really good at or really bad at, and this helps my perspective on how to take charge and run/swim the rainmaker to that podium! :D

7. ★Forge

★Forge Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    Slumplush
    I use :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

8. swamphox

swamphox Pro Squid

NNID:
    DawGnar
    depends on the maps...if there are grates run speed up is a better idea than swim speed up. It seems like a little swim speed up goes a disproportionately long way when u carry the RM.