• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Tenta Brella Discussion+ability recommendations: Get your camp on!

Paladerp

Inkling
Wow... I never noticed the bomb issue and I've mained the weapon since it launched, that should definitely get fixed.

And I don't know about Ninja Squid. Sure you get a better chance to 1 shot people but that's a -18% swim speed reduction and you can still see the indentations of a person swimming with NS still + Point Sensors completely expose you, so i'd put that as a maybe.

Despite getting numerous buffs (especially really good ones like changing the canopy launch speed) I think all that Tenta really needs now is less frames required to pop up the shield and increase the minimum damage dealt because there's no reason why it has to deal less minimum damage than the Splat Brella when it's supposed to be a stronger alternative and it's harder to get a direct hit with Tenta.
IT SHOULD. Drives me nuts! ><
I don't think they'll ever hear my complaints about it, though, so it'll probably never get fixed.

I've never had an issue with the squidentations. I don't really think anyone looks closely enough all the time to notice it.
Everyone has their own preferences and playstyles, so I understand why you might be hesitant to endorse it. It makes you really slow! I'm willing to give up a little swim speed, but that might not work for you.

I honestly think that the brella opening speed and all that would be fine in a lag-free environment, but I could definitely get behind those buffs.
The first two did not make any sense. Literally how does the ink bend over backwards onto the inkling? Why Nintendo?

The third one the bomb hit the back of the shield, but I think they should keep that. It's another way to splat brella users quickly when they have their shield out.
IDEK! It feels so janky!

Eh. It still feels cheesy to me, but to each his own.

Keee

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0554-9715-4212
I actually started using the tenta brella a lot recently and found myself really enjoying it. The way I use it makes me look at the game and maps in a totally different perspective, even compared to other brellas.

My kit is focused on Quick Super Jump w/ Stealth Jump, with subs for ink saver sub (beacons), bomb resist up and ink recovery.

I haven't attempted ranked with it yet, but in turf wars I play with a lot of map awareness in mind utilizing QSJ to allies, either to shield them, help them push, finish opponents off that splatted them or just escaping a situation I know in advance I am not going to win.

I do not play offensively with it at all. I shoot off the tent shield often to hold choke points or help push, I avoid using it as a crutch protection because it's too slow to deploy - that's where QSJ helps a lot - and avoid engaging encounters on my own and let the kills come to me whenever they do, jump away from unfavorable situations to ones I can provide more utility to. It barely takes any time to do so, so it gives me much more freedom to literally choose my battles. Sometimes it's a roll of dice but I find that exciting and not unprofitably risky.

After I got a strat down I was doing pretty good with surprisingly high ink coverage points and kills, few deaths, and lots of small unquantifiable perks like helping teammates flank with shields or beacons.

It's a more tense way of playing for me because it's so radically different from how I usually play the game so I have to be in the right mood for it, but when I am I find it pretty rewarding to pull off something out of left field or some feat that had some mild amount of planning beforehand. I find the tenta brella as it is right now isn't made for more impulsive playstyles.

I spread bubbles if I need an alternative form of protection either for the central fray or flanks as the situation requires.

Might not be the meta way to use it but whatever I'm doing is pretty fun IMO!

Last edited:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Keee always delighted to see new interest in tent gun! =D
Even though I'm not a big believer in :ability_ninjasquid: on heavy weapons, I hope to hear more from you on that

Made a few tweaks to OP
Only big thing of note I added was the little :ability_swimspeed: chart for anyone wanting to test it and/or :ability_ninjasquid:
ALSO I am embarrased to admit that I have not tested :ability_inksavermain: out after the shield launch time was shortened, even though I knew from the get-go that this dropped the amount of ink required to launch considerably (it used to cost half of your tank, without any :ability_inksavermain:).

I'll try and get to :ability_ninjasquid: but I've got to get through :ability_inksavermain:(again),:ability_stealthjump:,:ability_swimspeed:,:ability_runspeed:(again <_> ) AND (hopefully) a buff coming up next month xP

Also @Paladerp I agree with @Flopps .
though re-watching the clip on Humpback Pumptrack, it looks like the game might have considered the suction bomb as landing on top (?) of the tenta brella's hitbox? Even so, I've heard someone else on Inkademy mention they get hit by blaster indirects exploding in front of their undercover brella, so it seems yours is not an isolated case. . .

some private lobby testing should shed more light on this bug xP

Paladerp

Inkling
Yup! That's exactly what happened. In the Splatfest one, the explosion happened on the end of my umbrella and the explosion "splashed" behind it as I moved closer to the edge. It's stupid as hell.
There's also the matter of people killing your teammates by throwing a bomb at them when you launch an umbrella. You try to send it in front of them to support them, their enemy throws a grenade at the umbrella as it gets closer to the ally you're trying to help, it detonates instantly on the canopy and kills them instead of helping them. Defeats the whole gatdanged purpose of having it as a "support" weapon if it helps the other team, doesn't it?

Someone from the Gamefaqs boards (I think it was Luigi_Fan) also had an incident similar to the Blaster one you mentioned. A curling bomb exploded a bit in front of the canopy as it was being held and somehow the explosion pierced through and killed him. My theory was that because it was Pumptrack, the uneven flooring caused the canopy to come very slightly off of the floor and allowed part of the explosion to slip under somehow, but IDK. I've been shot through the bottom gap on a very mild slope before.
I also have a theory that there's a split-second right when the umbrella launches when the canopy can cease to exist or just isn't in front of you which may or may not be extended by lag, but I don't have anything to back that up other than suspicions based on very rare things that have happened to me.

Also, +1 to Ink Saver Main being generally great and Run Speed Up being great (I keep one pure on me at all times; need to be able to outrun my canopy while firing when I use it to cover behind me). This is what I usually run:
https://loadout.ink/en-us/#050321084215da0c632821084
GAZE UPON MY GLORIOUS SWIM SPEED AND TREMBLE

@Keee Your strategy actually sounds really fun! Imma try that sometime. ^^

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So right now I have 3 deck I shuffle between
My main deck
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_inksavermain:
:ability_specialcharge::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

This build is my full support build, I place down lots of beacons to gwt my teammates back into bavck quick, shield allies who are behind me and build up bubble quick for extra shields
I don't hav alot of ink saver on this deck simply cause I play behind the team when they push...to make sure that the a push can be sustained and keep pressure on the enemy.

Also quick tip if you shoot the tent through the bubble it will deal damage over time and block explosion on the bubbles it has passed through.

My second gear
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_bombrange::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_bombrange::ability_quicksuperjump:
:ability_stealthjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
I also use this on my CEliter, but first and foremost this is a highly mobile "Hitzeling" build (aka an aggressive support
Gives the tenta the ability to quickly get back into a battle to support allies or use the beaons you have set up to make flanks.
I mainly use this for Clam blitz due to the value of beacon overall in that mode

3rd build (WIP
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_bombrange::ability_swimspeed::ability_bombrange: :ability_unknown:
:ability_bombrange::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

Kinda working on a full support for this one, but still haven't gotten to fully test it out yet so i have yet to see how well it does

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I am wondering why people think the Tenta Brella is bad. For me, it is the best weapon ever.

Attachments

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom