• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Thanksgiving 2015

What is your favorite thing about Thanksgiving?

• Total voters

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I've never actually been shopping on a Black Friday, mostly because it's not like I have a job and money to spend freely :p

I've heard the horror stories about Black Friday as well. Which is a shame...I get that everyone wants those sweet deals, but mob mentality can be a *****. It always pains me when I hear about people dying on Black Fridays. People don't have to die. ._.
Especially since it's over "getting the best deal". Yep. A human life is worth that $100 you spent on a Christmas present. GG bro... GG. -.-

Just do your shopping online.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Honestly I don't understand why people go shopping in stores. Just go on the internet and get two day shipping from Amazon and approximately the same sales.
Some people like the fact that they can physically go to stores to buy stuff for someone... some people think it's more genuine... but I'm not one of those people...

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
If I may inject a counterpoint,

Now, I am not saying I support commercializing holidays or making people work them. Having worked one of those jobs where you have to be there during the holidays though, protesting it by not shopping actually screws the employees over. Companies expect to hit a certain dollar amount during holiday sales. If they don't make that money through business, they'll make up for it in other ways, namely cutting hours and letting seasonal help go and leaving the store with a skeleton crew where managers expect the same level of performance from them with 1/3 the man power.

Rather than hosting some kind of civilian embargo, I think people need to write to corporate leadership expressing how disappointed you are that they are keeping people from their families during a holiday that is entirely about family, and also harass your senators and representatives about companies giving these employees better benefits, compensation, and working conditions.

On to the OP, my favorite part of Thanksgiving is the food, but not eating it. As long as I can remember, I have yet to experience one thanksgiving where something didn't go horribly wrong with preparing the food. I remember my dad trying to carve a turkey after its wings came off. It was like watching a grown man try to carve a solid rubber football.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
If I may inject a counterpoint,

Now, I am not saying I support commercializing holidays or making people work them. Having worked one of those jobs where you have to be there during the holidays though, protesting it by not shopping actually screws the employees over. Companies expect to hit a certain dollar amount during holiday sales. If they don't make that money through business, they'll make up for it in other ways, namely cutting hours and letting seasonal help go and leaving the store with a skeleton crew where managers expect the same level of performance from them with 1/3 the man power.

Rather than hosting some kind of civilian embargo, I think people need to write to corporate leadership expressing how disappointed you are that they are keeping people from their families during a holiday that is entirely about family, and also harass your senators and representatives about companies giving these employees better benefits, compensation, and working conditions.

On to the OP, my favorite part of Thanksgiving is the food, but not eating it. As long as I can remember, I have yet to experience one thanksgiving where something didn't go horribly wrong with preparing the food. I remember my dad trying to carve a turkey after its wings came off. It was like watching a grown man try to carve a solid rubber football.
I'm not too worried about Black Friday being without shoppers. There are still going to be masses of people that wills to shop that day, but those who are smart enough to stay home will risk less injury or death. Now I'm not trying to argue your point of view. In fact, to some level I do agree. Fully and outright protesting it will cause people to lose jobs. The likelihood of a large number protesting is slimmer than those that will attend. I just feel bad for the kids that have to be dragged into the Black Friday shopping and then are trampled because of their parents are too enamored by the sales to care about anything else. I'm not saying that all parents will do this that attend, but there are those kinda mindless shoppers out there.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Even if there's no injury and death, on that day, people are everywhere in the stores that day. I hate crowds so I avoid days like Black Friday just for that reason. Besides, I can still take advantage of the sales just by shopping on the internet, no crowds, no hassle, no stress.

Shikinouta

Inkster Jr.
...There are still going to be masses of people that wills to shop that day, but those who are smart enough to stay home will risk less injury or death...
Not saying you're wrong because you're not, but you do realize that like 90% of all black friday sales aren't people getting shot or trampled. There are throngs of people, certainly, but people don't harm each other to get a sweet deal on the latest smartphone. I worked on black friday (rest in f***ing pieces Radioshack) and it was just a lot of people coming in and out and a 14 hour work day.

The black friday beatdowns you hear are all carefully selected by the general media to bring in views, but I didn't need to explain that did I.

Anyway,

I'm thankful that I haven't been assassinated yet.
I'm not kidding.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Not saying you're wrong because you're not, but you do realize that like 90% of all black friday sales aren't people getting shot or trampled. There are throngs of people, certainly, but people don't harm each other to get a sweet deal on the latest smartphone. I worked on black friday (rest in f***ing pieces Radioshack) and it was just a lot of people coming in and out and a 14 hour work day.

The black friday beatdowns you hear are all carefully selected by the general media to bring in views, but I didn't need to explain that did I.

Anyway,

I'm thankful that I haven't been assassinated yet.
I'm not kidding.
I'm talking more in the form of major businesses and malls where there will be a large number of people in one place. But I do get what you mean.

Shikinouta

Inkster Jr.
I'm talking more in the form of major businesses and malls where there will be a large number of people in one place. But I do get what you mean.
Should have mentioned that it was a mall Radioshack. I think we had around a thousand head in and out by the end of the day, maybe it was more like 950? I may be permanently scarred but that was a massive paycheck at the end of the day.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ugh... I'd have a better opinion of Thanksgiving if it wasn't for the fact that something has always managed to happen that ruins the whole day, for the past 6 years. The food's great, don't get me wrong, but I can't really enjoy a meal when my family is busy tearing each other apart over the year's newest trivial disagreement. Also the Macy's Parade last year sucked, too much lipsyncing that I couldn't ignore.

But am I thankful? Oh heck yeah. Thankful for that family anyway; even if they're all hyperagressive and combative, they've always been there for me when I needed it the most. Without them I'd probably be either dead or in jail by now.
And thankful for the opportunity to attend a good university, and get an actual education.

...and in light of the current discussion, I guess I should be thankful that I'm not working in retail.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Since I'm kinda happy/sad I need to find things I'm thankful for and it's next week so...

1. A diet that's actually working for me. Too bad fast food now makes me sick, Little Ceasers not counting.
2. Making really wonderful friends. Who cares if they're online? People are people.
3. Splatoon existing at all.
4. Being part of a group and I get to talk to them everyday, it's like a family from all over the US.
5. I'm really thankful my doctor decided to order my medicine before he left the office for good. I haaaaaaaattttttttteeeeeeeeee needles in my arm.
6. I'm alive at all, especially with what's happening with Paris recently.
7. Halloween being a major turning point in my family's life. It was really, really good and got us closer.
8. Getting over my fear of the internet.
9. Getting my 3DS replaced, they're really expensive right now and it burned a hole in my pocket but at least I got it replaced and Ninty's customer support is the best...especially compared to EA's...
10. Living high enough for Snow, I hope to see some before the year is over. I adore Snow in any game it's in, I dunno it's just that pretty to me, there's a reason why Chapter 7 in Paper Mario 64 is by far my favorite.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I am thankful for the ability to be thankful. I mean, without it, then I couldn't be thankful for the long list that I won't put here to save you over 9000 hours or so.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I've heard that EA's customer support is really good.

If you really want to **** on a company's customer support, take a look at Steam :p
I'm afraid not. I had a terrible time with EA's support and they did squat and pretty much redirected me to another line, where they would not pick up the phone. I vowed to never buy an EA product after that. I held true to that as I've never bought another one of their garbage games again.

I never need to contact Steam support since everything works correctly the moment I buy them and any issues I need to take to the game's forums. And what would I do, demand a refund? They don't do anything else. No company likes it when an angry customer demands a refund despite accepting the Steam Terms of Use and then playing the game past two hours. And all issues were on my end.

Shikinouta

Inkster Jr.
I'm thankful Nintendo customer support is the very absolute best. I have never had a real issue.

Well, that's not necessarily true. I've bought 3 systems in the 3DS family, and I attempted some self repairs on my first but managed to macgyver my way to hell; as the poor thing doesn't even turn on now. I could order the replacement parts from ebay, but I'm too lazy for that so I emailed them about it, but they never responded :c

I got the confirmation email and everything. I spent a solid ~500 ish on eShop s*** since I was 16 and had a fortune in disposable income, it seems like a waste to let it all rot in a Pokemon tin in my sock drawer.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
One week to go until the holiday! I can't wait to sit down and eat the best dinner of the whole year. We're a family of good cooks so I know it'll be amazing, each of us will be working on a part of the dinner. The kitchen is going to get busy next week~!

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
It's tomorrow! I learned how to cook meat from my brother last week so I'm going to put on my chef's hat and help with a part of the dinner. I don't know WHAT I'm cooking, but I'll cook something for the big dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom