• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The cooking thread

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
here is somewhere to recommend recipes, ask for tips, and just about anything else relating to cooking/baking! (Don't know why people count them as separate things, but whatever.) anyone have a good raised donuts recipe?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I've recently really gotten into making food. I can't do much right now but I'd love to learn more! My present challenge is to work out how to make a pizza with an actual crust (rather than just flat all around); it shouldn't change the taste much but it'll be much more presentable if I can thicken the outside, and appearances can be pretty important with food.

I love the ideas of A) being able to eat whatever I want, as long as I have the ingredients and B) making people happy in the simple way that food does.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Difference between baking and cooking? 'eck if I fully understand. Ask any two people and you might get different answers. Other than baking being a type of cooking style, I get told that baking requires getting your ingredients or measurements right while cooking can be freestyle. Or that baking is the domain of breads, pastries, desert items, and the like.

I'm using to making my own food, but I haven't made a lot of "complex" things in quite a while, e.g. gumbo. There's a lot of things I should try making again. I've already made a pizza before with pre-made crust, but have yet to make a crust from scratch. I should give making noodles/pasta another try too. Tad confusing for my first time and they came out a little lumpy or thick because I didn't separate them properly and keep the layers from melding.

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
What would be the best way to post a recipe recomendation?

Also, I've made cake and have been contemplating cupcakes. Once everything is mixed would I just pour the mixture into a muffin pan?

Found a great recipe blog a few months ago and made some red bean buns which turned out well.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Not the cheese that comes in that plastic wrap, but the cheese that you can slice off like white cheddar, mozzarela, gouda, etc.
I like the cut of your jib!

It always amuses me, on those rare occassions, when I make something with real cheese for someone and they react negatively to it because real cheese doesn't taste like "real cheese."

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
It always amuses me, on those rare occassions, when I make something with real cheese for someone and they react negatively to it because real cheese doesn't taste like "real cheese."
So... is shrink-wrapped plasticky cheese the norm in the USA? That doesn't sound at all like a plausible reaction here, unless what I consider to be 'real cheese' is also something second-rate.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
So... is shrink-wrapped plasticky cheese the norm in the USA? That doesn't sound at all like a plausible reaction here, unless what I consider to be 'real cheese' is also something second-rate.
Yep, processed cheeses are like a standard around here. And not all of them exist in the dairy aisle. ¬¬;;

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
I'm of the opinion that the 'pasteurized processed cheese food' (cheese 'singles', Velveeta bricks, government "cheese", most house brands) are in actuality the stuff they feed to real cheese to help it grow up big and strong. I live in an area where I can get local cheese made by the dairies around here...I just never remember to actually buy any when I'm in the small stores that carry it :'D

If you're going camping and you want "cheese" to put in your grits or whatever, get a stack of the single-wrapped plastic cheese food slices. They're easier to schlep around, keep a little longer and melt faster.

Avoid Velveeta like the plague.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
If you're going camping and you want "cheese" to put in your grits or whatever, get a stack of the single-wrapped plastic cheese food slices. They're easier to schlep around, keep a little longer and melt faster.
I think that's why processed cheese is made/used. Easier to deal with than real cheese when you want to be lazy of quick about it.

Avoid Velveeta like the plague.
That abomination has no right to be called cheese!!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Somehow or other, I made my best pizza yet today (got the crust right and everything)! I'm pretty sure it's down to the exact mixture of the dough, perhaps thanks to the much coarser semolina I used this time, so I'll have to try to copy what I did this time. Another changed variable is the yeast, replacing the pellet variety (which needs to be mixed with sugar and water) with dried, ready-to-use sachets. I guess that now that I've worked out crusts, the next step is stuffing them.

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord

Nah, I'm just messing with all of you.

I did made a good eggnog pancake. Just mix it with eggnog, your pancake mix or homemade, and one teaspoon of nutmeg will do.

Of course I just like making my fried omelette how I like the way it is with some onions, green peppers, bacon bits, red peppers, jalapenos or habaneros, garlic, and some cheese. Not the cheese that comes in that plastic wrap, but the cheese that you can slice off like white cheddar, mozzarela, gouda, etc.
How mush eggnog do you add in proportion to batter?

くコ:彡 - ROXY

Senior Squid
NNID
Spamus
I used to know a really simply lemon chicken recipe for the grill. You make a marinade from Italian dressing and lemonade power leave it to chill of a while then you can grill it. It's really good, I promise ; 3;/

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
1 Cucumber (or more, whatever you prefer)

Cut off the ends, then the rind/peel. Cut into slices - not too thick or too thin. Put cucumber slices into a leak-proof container. Add balsamic vinegar of your choice, enough to cover the bottom few slices. Add sugar and salt to taste. Seal the container and SHAKE to make sure everything gets mixed up good and proper. Nosh and enjoy. Best served cold, by the way.

You can either eat right away, OR let this sit for an hour or two to really marinate. Just don't let it sit too long :'D

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Okay, this is in part for the benefit of @OctoInk20 since I said I'd hunt this one down and post it, but should be easy enough for anyone if I can pull it off =p
It comes from a Jazzercise cookbook c sometime late-80's and isn't attributed to anyone in particular.

Pork Chops with Sage-Mustard Sauce

4x 3/4" thick loin pork chops, extra fat trimmed off*
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp dried sage leaves
chopped parsley (optional)

Sprinkle chops with pepper. In a 12" skillet heat oil approx 1 minute, on high heat. Add chops and cook about 2 minutes, until browned on the bottom. Turn chops over and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 5-8 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix cream, mustard and sage until blended. When chops are cooked through, place them on a serving platter and cover to keep warm. Increase heat under the skillet to moderately high. Add the cream mixture and any juices available from the platter. Boil about 1 minute, stirring frequently until sauce thickens. Pour over chops and sprinkle with parsley.

Makes 4 servings.

* I've actually found this works better with pork medallions, they come out much more tender and juicy than the chops do. Be aware they are more expensive, however.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Curious.

How many of you, when making pasta of any sort, keep the pasta-water? How many of you add it to whatever sauce you're using, and how much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom