• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Game feels ruined for casuals

※Zachary

Semi-Pro Squid
There's been reports of it happening, enough for me to believe it. And if you're a chronic squidbagger you're setting yourself up for trouble... if nothing else, I guarantee quite a few people here won't want to play with you :p
Eh, I wouldn't consider myself one of a chronic nature. But more of a gimmick in Turf War. Squid bagging in ranked is utterly stupid. The time one would spend rubbing the salt in is nearly equivalent to the time is takes for the enemy to respawn. It's practically a trade in my eyes. As for people not wanting to play with me, eh, I probably wouldn't want to play with them anyway. Unless of course we are talking tournaments here. Then oh boy, bring it on. :P (I do appreciate the insight about people actually getting banned.)

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
In my view, Squidbagging and Squid Parties are really among the things that ruin it for casuals aswell.

Imagine a scenario in which a casual guy just boots up the Switch and wants to play a turf or two to level him up further so he can eventually buy all the weapons or something. But he doesn't have a lot of time to play, since his lady is preparing dinner. So he wants to make the most of it.
Then he's thrown into a lobby where a squidparty is going on. His teammates are partaking and so are two of the enemy. The few players who are actually playing the game as intended are sadly two pro guys in the enemy team who ignore their two squidpartying mates. Casual will get stomped in that battle, because his teammates weren't doing anything, whereas the two enemy pros were painting like their life was on the line. After the battle, his wife will call for dinner. Oops, the squidparty kids who were just "having fun" just ruined the gaming experience for a casual. On the dinner table, he's not gonna recommend trying out that new colourful shooter to his girl...

Needless to say, squidbagging will annoy casuals even more than pros. Imagine you're a casual struggling with the game and this one guy splatting you all the time already gets you salty enough. And then after the 4th time killing you, he squidbaggs on your inky remains. Also ruins gaming experience.

I'm a pretty rational guy. my criticism doesn't revolve around snowflakery on my part. It's simple logic: If you're gonna be a douche, you scare away players, mostly casuals. But I want Splatoon to flourish, I want it big. I want it to be a game for casuals and pros alike. So I advocate for stopping any unneeded behaviour that's gonna make people go away.

In all honesty, Sp2 getting pay to play sometime will already scare away enough casuals... Let's not push it even more.

Red_Hero

Inkling
Speaking as one who has come from casual splatoon 1 play and now heavy into splat2oon, I haven't really noticed this issue. I play Turf War with the focus on spreading ink and only focus on the kill if there's a squid in front of me. I win majority of my matches this way ( teammates and opposing team being factors to this of course. ) At no point till I jumped into Ranked Mode did I ever have to adjust my playstyle to focus away from spreading ink. Just my opinion and experience though.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Eh, I wouldn't consider myself one of a chronic nature. But more of a gimmick in Turf War. Squid bagging in ranked is utterly stupid. The time one would spend rubbing the salt in is nearly equivalent to the time is takes for the enemy to respawn. It's practically a trade in my eyes. As for people not wanting to play with me, eh, I probably wouldn't want to play with them anyway. Unless of course we are talking tournaments here. Then oh boy, bring it on. :p (I do appreciate the insight about people actually getting banned.)
I absolutely despise squidbagging because it is never about one person being better than another. I don't consider myself great, but I think I'm pretty good and I usually have some of the most coverage in a battle or one of the best K/D's in the battle. In my experience, the only time anyone ever squidbags is when my team is missing a player or one of our players is just a complete idiot. I cannot carry a team under these circumstances (usually) so when Joe comes over with his top meta weapon and skill equal to mine I can't do anything and he starts squidbagging, and because we are down a player it is nearly impossible to fix this during the battle.

Basically, if you're going to be a **** then at least make sure you are without question the best player in the lobby, or just don't be a ****. This really is something that could drive away many casuals.

※Zachary

Semi-Pro Squid
Basically, if you're going to be a **** then at least make sure you are without question the best player in the lobby, or just don't be a ****. This really is something that could drive away many casuals.
Oh lol. I'm not trying to be mean. :P but umm, not trying to sound full of my self, but I usually am the best player in the lobby. I typically have about 15-20 splats at the end of every Turf War and I always have the most Turf covered.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Oh lol. I'm not trying to be mean. :p but umm, not trying to sound full of my self, but I usually am the best player in the lobby. I typically have about 15-20 splats at the end of every Turf War and I always have the most Turf covered.
So you view having the subjective thought of being "the best player in the lobby" as a good reason to squidbag people in Turf War and ridicule them? That's an interesting approach. Could you explain why you think that's a good idea and how that supports keeping players in the game and not making casuals quit?

Secondly, I'd like to challenge your argument of "always scoring 15-20 kills". I've played with some people who I deem really, really good. And even them don't manage that. It doesn't have anything to do with their lack of skill, but with the nature of the battle. Some Turf Wars tend to be fought rather defensively, so that there simply is not a big number of kills scored. In such battles, I'd say, it is impossible to come close to even 15 splats, given the style of the battle being fought and the 3 minute time limit.

Last edited:

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Basically regardless of who you are or what you wanna do you're gonna have to have a good attitude about it. People payed 60 bucks for this game and 300 for their switch and you can't control what they do, so it's on yourself to have a better attitude if you wanna get the most out of your experience. All in all, heavy squidbaggers and squidparties don't really take up a majority of matches. If I see a squidbagger I usually just chuckle a bit and move on. If they happen to be pretty good and kill and squidbag me like 2 or 3 times in a row (which has in 520 hours of this game only happened like 4 times maybe) then I kill them out of spite and give em a quick bag. Funny after I do that we usually win. Anyways, on to squidparties. I like them, but sometimes yeah I'm grinding for chunks and I wanna win. Well you got a couple options. They're not gonna stop because this is the experience they payed hundreds of bucks for. So, you can join and have some fun, you can ignore them, or if you're grinding do what I do and partially join them. I'll throw sprinklers around while partying and kill people on the other team who are trying then go back to it. Now if you're a casual then this might be a little challenging, but I don't think of casuals as the type of people who grind gear and get angry at a game. If you don't like a lobby, leave it. If you absolutely despise squidparties and if you see another one you're gonna explode, then either play something else, play ranked, or salmon run, or hero mode. You can't control what other people do and if you let your feelings be dictated by that fact you're gonna have a horrible experience.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Squidbagging is fine. If you let a virtual flopping inkling get to you, you need thicker skin, or else good luck in life.

Banning people for squidbagging is absolutely ridiculous. It’s a mechanic in the game. Squidbagging can even be used to confuse snipers. If you disallow squidbagging, people will just find some new way to taunt you, like the recent one I heard about using Beakons as graves and waving to them. Is that gonna get banned too? What about running in circles after a kill? At some point you just need to let game mechanics be game mechanics.

Is it rude? Maybe. Some people find it funny, and some people find it motivational so that they can respawn and play better. Some people get angry at it to which I say, chill, it’s just a flopping squid. If you’re that mad, let that anger fuel you and get them back. I don’t mean to say revenge is a virtue, but this is just video games. Sometimes even I get angry, but I usually rebut by dominating any squidbagger, because I can tell they lose focus. If you dominate them for the rest of the match, I can’t imagine you being upset about their first squidbag.

I agree with Mar$el. It’s people’s money. Let them play how they want to play.

To OP: There’s usually plenty of people who are down to do that in the Squidboards Discord group or on the Facebook Splatoon group. I sincerely hope people’s competitiveness do not turn you away from the game. I would prefer it if Splatoon has a niche for everyone: whether you just wanna fool around and have fun, or whether you want to be the best slayer in the world.

And yes, I do think if you restart at level 1, you will find the lobbies easier. I have personally tested this out myself. Competitive this competitive that is not for everyone. I want everyone to have fun with Splatoon. Reset back to 1 and have a great time my friend, along with your daughter.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I find it strange how with Splatoon people take squidbagging so seriously it’s kind of scary, yet with teabagging in other multiplayer games, no one gives a crap about it.
Other games let players curse and swear directly at players via voice and text. Bagging's one of the only ways to be disrespectful here and people know this. Everything is relative.

As for your comments about this being the experience people paid hundreds of dollars for, Mar$el, you're right. ALL of us did. So maybe it's a little irksome when someone sets out to have a negative impact on someone else's experience that we all paid for.
Banning people for squidbagging is absolutely ridiculous. It’s a mechanic in the game. Squidbagging can even be used to confuse snipers. If you disallow squidbagging, people will just find some new way to taunt you, like the recent one I heard about using Beakons as graves and waving to them. Is that gonna get banned too? What about running in circles after a kill? At some point you just need to let game mechanics be game mechanics.
Taunting in fighting games is a mechanic. Using emotes in Dark Souls is a mechanic. Squidbagging is NOT a mechanic, and considering Nintendo will penalize you for as little as taunting too much in Smash Bros, it's obviously something they don't appreciate. Remember, kids play this, and do you REALLY expect people in the 7-13 age range to have "thicker skin"? Really, is it all that difficult to just play the game?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
lol you guys sure love your derailing

Back on topic though, this game is still at it's heart a third-person shooter. There's bound to be some conflict between players no matter the fact that there's an inking mechanic in the game. You can't just buy this game and expect to only passively paint all day. Removing that sense of conflict would make that game very boring for the most of us.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I find it strange how with Splatoon people take squidbagging so seriously it’s kind of scary, yet with teabagging in other multiplayer games, no one gives a crap about it.
It's just a different demographic. Splatoon is a Nintendo game and most people that buy it probably want to enjoy the experience, while people that play COD are mainly 10 years old and say things like "yur mom gaey."
Squidbagging is not a mechanic, it is a taunt, and the purpose of banning squidbaggers is not to stop squidbagging, it is to stop taunting. I don't hate squidbagging as an action, I hate it because it is something only a real POS would start. As I have said before, the only times I encounter squidbaggers is when one team has an absolute disadvantage — a missing player, for example — so the act is a cowardly way of trying to make yourself feel better in some way by making someone else feel worse.

If you just squidbag for fun, why? It's just stupid, cowardly, and immature.

Nukester

Inkling
lol you guys sure love your derailing

Back on topic though, this game is still at it's heart a third-person shooter. There's bound to be some conflict between players no matter the fact that there's an inking mechanic in the game. You can't just buy this game and expect to only passively paint all day. Removing that sense of conflict would make that game very boring for the most of us.
No, no no no no no. It's "Ink War". Who inks the most. Just give me a fire hose and leave me alone. I wish they had a shirt that said "don't shoot me, because I don't care. JUST INK".

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom