• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Inkings are terrifying mid-transformation.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Reminds me of the good ol days of me freeze framing VHS tapes while characters are in mid transformation such as Abu becoming an elephant in Aladdin. Not meant to be seen by normal viewing as the frames go by so fast. I always been interested in this aspect of animation because I like seeing how a character goes from one from of its first form to the next form.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
Just what exactly do they turn into when they turn into "squids." The whole reason their "kid" form is still squid-like is because they have 10 tentacles (counting arms and legs and tentacles). But their "squid" form has only 6 tentacles! That's not even octopus level!

Moreover they are able to make their bodies as flat and thin as film of ink resting on a flat surface while having enough room to movements to propel themselves in such a liquid.

Yes they have no bones but you have to be just skin to get that thin! And what makes the squids so chromophobic? Why can't we walk in other people's ink? We're wearing shoes after all!

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
T͙̳̱͓̱̖̻̝̖͇̳̺̲̘͜͠Ḥ̺͙͕͇̤̼͖̤̳͎̘̗͔̩͇́͞E̡͔̝͇͇̳̥̯͜Y̸̢҉̼̬͖̻̗̱͎̱̟̖̟̪̯ ̢̠̟̩̝̰͖͉͓͔̹̭͖͔̤̪̘C̸̮̖͖̤̀͠Ò̶̙͙̘̳͍̺̻̝͖̪̟̖̖͕̯̱M͏̢̖̱̘͓̼̹̤ͅE҉̛̙̗̫͝ͅ

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Just what exactly do they turn into when they turn into "squids." The whole reason their "kid" form is still squid-like is because they have 10 tentacles (counting arms and legs and tentacles). But their "squid" form has only 6 tentacles! That's not even octopus level!
Actually they have all 10. You can see it in the Amiibo figure easily. In game, if you look carefully at the squid form while aiming the camera at at 180 angle to the ground as much as possible you can see the other four under the top four limbs when looking at them from behind. Also the squid form moves those limbs so pay attention to the movement on the bottom of the top four that you usually see.

When making my plushies I made sure the ingame model had them all.

Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
There's also the idea that they're not actually flattening themselves, but that the ink becomes something of a pocket dimension. You can see it in how the Octowhirl and Octomaw seem to completely go through the ground but have parts of them sticking out. I don't think they can flatten themselves, as they're made of metal.

By the way, it's been changed since, but the Best Buy website's Splatoon trailer had a thumbnail that looked like my screenshot above. They made it look like a horror game like that...

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I suppose a topic like this was enviable. The mid-transformation is pretty freaky, and it makes me happy it doesn't stop at that featured freeze frame. To me, it looks like Cthulu Elderith kinda stuff. That's me though. You'd need to be insane to think about it and I am insane in some ways, or I'm just desensitized.

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Worth noting that technically when going between the two forms, the eyes go to the back of their head. Just something to think about.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
I love looking at the mid transformation! Also I find it cute on how their tentacles becomes legs!
IT LOOKS CUTE AND SQUISHY!
Sure the face is terrifying buuuut THEIR YEGS!
It's very interesting how these squidkids work.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I love looking at the mid transformation! Also I find it cute on how their tentacles becomes legs!
IT LOOKS CUTE AND SQUISHY!
Sure the face is terrifying buuuut THEIR YEGS!
It's very interesting how these squidkids work.
... "Yegs"?

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
If you pay attention, you can see the long tentacles in squid-mode becoming hair on the girls and arms on guys.

TheN64

Inkling
NNID
N64PCGamer
If you pay attention, you can see the long tentacles in squid-mode becoming hair on the girls and arms on guys.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they snap to the back of their head because the tentacles are in a ponytail. It just looks like it's their arms because the tentacles go to the back of their head. Unlike the female squid, who's tentacles appear in front of their arms before swinging back behind their arms.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Now that I think about it, it does remind me of those B movie horror flicks with the big, cheap props like giant flies and such. Like the kind mystery science theater is forced to watch.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Now that I think about it, it does remind me of those B movie horror flicks with the big, cheap props like giant flies and such. Like the kind mystery science theater is forced to watch.
Yay for mentions to stuff that younger gens will not get! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom