The N-ZAP: To play competitively, or not to play competitively?

NachoThePikachu

Inkling
NNID
NachoThePikachu
Hi there! I just wanted to hear people's opinions on this, since I myself can't make out whether or not this is "okay".

Basically, I'm an A+ Squid kid who's been trying so hard to get to S rank! It's so close, yet so far, as I'm currently at 70 points. I was hoping that once I finally reached S that I would possibly be able to join a squad here on squidboards and join the land of more organized, competitive play. However, I have an issue. I run around and rock an N-Zap '89. I love my weapon, and I've used it to come as far as I am now. But, watching competitive play, I don't see many zappers, and I've been wondering if I should maybe let go of my one true love of a weapon.

Are Zappers viable in competitive play? I would appreciate honest responses. I like this weapon because it's range is decent, and it has a fast fire rate. I also appreciate how much mobility I'm able to keep while shooting, and I can pick off opponents rather quickly when I'm close enough.

I've noted that the Gals, Splattershots, and tentateks are very popular in ranked and competitive play. I have tried these weapons out before to get the feel for them, but it really doesn't feel the same. I am willing to be a team player and learn new weapons if I need to, but I feel consistent and at my best with my zapper, so I would be happy if I could continue to use it.

What do you guys think? Would squads not appreciate my use of a zapper? Are there weapons out there that would suit me better? Please let me know! I appreciate all input.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Play with whatever suits your personal playstyle and you feel comfortable with. If you do well then it's silly for someone to force you into a different and less comfortable weapon. Though, since you did mention you use the '89 I'd recommend getting proficient with the '85 as well (if you haven't already). Everyone loves an echo user in their team build (ink strikes are a bit more niche) and splat bombs give some added kill power. If you comfortably switch between the two variations of N-Zap then there shouldn't be much of a problem.

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
We don't see too many N-Zaps in competitive because the time to kill is lackluster and parts of their kits are used by other weapons like Kelp/Eliter scope and both Dynamos which are much more desirable on a team comp than a shooter that can't kill as reliably.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
The only real advantage the N-ZAP has over other shooters is its strafing speed, which is the highest in the game. If you have a lot of Run Speed Up gear you can use with it, you might be able to use that to your advantage by moving too quickly for enemies to track you properly in a firefight. However, the Tentatek is also capable of doing this (albeit to a lesser degree), and aside from that one advantage, the N-ZAP doesn't really have any outstanding properties, as both its range and killing power are less than stellar.

If you choose to stick with it, though, I would definitely recommend that you only use the N-ZAP '89 for Splat Zones; the '85 has the better kit for other Ranked Modes.

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
The meta doesn't define the players. The players define the meta.

If you found a way to rock N-Zap, then by all means, bring it into competitive play. I like to believe that every weapon is viable for competitive play, as long as you find its niche. And who knows? If you can impress the competitive community with the weapon, maybe more people would pick it up.

That being said, if you're going to play competitively, you have to be flexible.

Depending on mode, map, and who you're facing, you might need to change your play-style or weapon. So make sure you give some other shooters a good try. Having a few backup weapons (that you're comfortable with) will go a long way.

NachoThePikachu

Inkling
NNID
NachoThePikachu
Thanks guys! This really helps me feel a little more confident in myself.

To address the specific advice given:
Yes! I am also familiar with the '85. I'm just so used to the '89 that I tend not to use it's counterpart much. I'm going to start using it more often now to practice using splat bombs consistently-- and not throw them to walls thinking that they're sprinklers. XD
I agree, the '89 is great in Splatzones, so I'll keep to it in that.

And of course-- being able to adapt to maps and different battle situations is important, so I'll try my best to make sure I pick up a few other spare weapons and learn them as well as I can. ^u^

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do in squads with my zapper. ouo

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I think the best thing about the Nzap is that it heavily counters the Splattershot, a very common weapon. I would think it would definitely be a meta choice if you were to use it over something else.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Don't let someone discourage you from using a weapon. There are many weapons that aren't popular in competitive play and people will discourage you from using the unpopular weapons. However, it doesn't mean that the unpopular weapons aren't viable. It just means that you're willing to use weapons with a sharper learning curve than most would be willing to use. If the N-Zap weapons are what you like best, I would recommend to continue using them. You won't do well in Ranked if you're using a weapon that you hate. It's not worth it to use a weapon just because someone else told you to. Never underestimate the ability of your weapon. :) When it comes to Splatoon, a weapon's strength is dependent upon the skill of the player using it.

I'm an S rank player but I didn't get there with "popular" weapons. I reached the S rank by using a combination of my Carbon Roller and Octobrush Nouveau - both weapons that I've always been told would never allow me to reach the S rank. People underestimate both of these weapons because it's not easy to use them at an S rank level - but it doesn't mean they're not viable. It just means they have a bit of a sharper learning curve than not everyone can learn. *shrugs* I am also using the Custom Hydra Splatling during Ranked as well now - another weapon that I'm often told isn't "very good" with Ranked yet I am often doing fairly well with it.

The point here is that just because a weapon isn't popular doesn't mean it's not viable. :) There are a lot of good N-Zappers in competitive play even though they're not very common. It's mostly about increasing your skill level and learning your weapon inside and out. It is, of course, best to know multiple weapons. But make sure you're picking these weapons because you want to use them - not because someone told you to use them. You won't have any fun with them and you won't do good with them.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I think the best thing about the N-Zap is that it heavily counters the Splattershot, a very common weapon. I would think it would definitely be a meta choice if you were to use it over something else.
How does it counter it though? The splattershot has the same range and kills faster than the n-zap, so normally in a firefight a Splattershot would win (hypothetically speaking of course).
and yeah dude, just use what you love. i don't play the n-zap myself but it is a good weapon.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
However, you have to accept that the N-Zap isn't a very strong weapon- it has short range and doesn't deal much damage. I'd strongly reccommend picking the '85 over the '89, the '85 can make good use of it's splat bombs and it's superb inking capability is put to good use by charging Echo to keep track of everything. I personally feel the '89 has so many redundant options for inking that it's not very useful.

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
The nzap is my fav weapon and while it got to me A rank our relationship in ranked ended there lol to get me to S I use the .52 or the splattershot.
I use the nzap on turf wars and get plenty of kills but on ranked? Not so much. Most of the opposing teams have .96 gals (walls) and weapons with better range. I'd have to sneak around the whole map. I have seen top players use the 85 but not so much the 89.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
@MrL1193
@Leronne

This may just be my shortcoming but I used the TTK a lot and I always had a ton of trouble with Nzaps due to their higher base mobility and faster fire rate. That may seem like a downside with lower damage, but remember that you aren't always at full health. Unless you both have perfect accuracy and full health, I feel that the Nzap has a much wider margin for error due to these two advantages.

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
On the one hand, I completely agree with what has been said above...use what you think you're best at, but also refrain from sticking to only one weapon. I was an N-Zap junkie all the way up through A rank, but I got to S the first time after I picked up the Octoshot at Lvl 40. Then I lost S...and have been bouncing back and forth between it and the A ranks with mainly Rollers.

Your own personal Splatoon journey of self-improvement is definitely a roller coaster ride. Don't feel forced to change things up, but don't feel afraid to either. The fact that you're bothering to make this post at all is possibly indicative of you yourself wanting a change...but what do I know :)

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
The range and time to kill may be okay, but it has about everything else going for it. The great fire rate allows you to cover turf fast (Which is useful in ranked, it charges up your special and gives you more room to move) and makes the time to kill not that bad. It has a great run speed, allowing you to strafe opponents well. It has better accuracy than other mid range weapons, making it easier to get splats. Basically, its a Dual Squelcher with less range but more fire rate, mobility, and ink efficiency.

Like others said, the 89 is usually better for Turf War and Splat Zones, while the 85 is better for Tower Control and Rainmaker.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
The range and time to kill may be okay, but it has about everything else going for it. The great fire rate allows you to cover turf fast (Which is useful in ranked, it charges up your special and gives you more room to move) and makes the time to kill not that bad. It has a great run speed, allowing you to strafe opponents well. It has better accuracy than other mid range weapons, making it easier to get splats. Basically, its a Dual Squelcher with less range but more fire rate, mobility, and ink efficiency.
The problem is that its high rate of fire doesn't amount to much when put up against the Splattershot's sheer killing power. The N-ZAP doesn't really cover turf more cleanly than a Splattershot due to the fact that each of its shots leaves fewer splashes on the ground. (Have you ever noticed how Gals tend to blanket the ground really solidly, despite their poor rate of fire? The same idea applies here, albeit to a lesser extent.) The N-ZAP '89 puts up huge point totals in Turf War because of its kit, but the '85 is quite unremarkable in that regard. The weapon itself is no Aerospray.

Also, the N-ZAP's accuracy is identical to that of the Splattershot, so I'm not sure where you got the idea that it's got particularly good accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom