The Potential for Weapon Skins

Cephalobro

So, since we will get to adjust certain gear pieces, do you think we will get an update for swappable weapon skins?

Before the ability to adjust gear was announced, I didn't think we can get an update like this, but now I think the ability to change weapon skins is actually something that could happen within Splatoon 3's update cycle.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm guessing probably not. It's fine for players to look however they want, but they seem to be going for a distinct visual appearance with weapons in this series. My guess is that they want players to be able to tell what a given player is carrying at a glance, and I imagine some kids would get confused if a player's weapon colors/design didn't match the icon.

Considering I've seen a decently large number of people get confused about the pant options and that you can select that one pair for more options, I'd have to rule out this possibility. It'd be fun, but seconds are vital in Splatoon and I guarantee we'd have people see a green N-Zap and spend a moment going "Okay, what kit does that have?"

9DB

Inkling Cadet
I'm guessing probably not. It's fine for players to look however they want, but they seem to be going for a distinct visual appearance with weapons in this series. My guess is that they want players to be able to tell what a given player is carrying at a glance, and I imagine some kids would get confused if a player's weapon colors/design didn't match the icon.

Considering I've seen a decently large number of people get confused about the pant options and that you can select that one pair for more options, I'd have to rule out this possibility. It'd be fun, but seconds are vital in Splatoon and I guarantee we'd have people see a green N-Zap and spend a moment going "Okay, what kit does that have?"
I think you're probably right but most weapons you can tell what they are simply by their silhouette. For things like the green N-zap like you mentioned, I think it would be more likely that you can put things like stickers on the weapon instead of changing the colors

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
I think skins would still be more along the lines of Hero Shot Replica as a seperate weapon as opposed to a style option. Sure the idea, if implemented well, is sound, but as is currently I don't think it'll happen this game.

My guess is that they want players to be able to tell what a given player is carrying at a glance
I am certain this is the case as weapons like Zink Mini, Krak-on Roller, and Range Blaster have been changed significantly, but Forge Pro and Aerospray RG are untouched as they're distinct enough already. IMO as long as a select handful of weapons get skins, and not for every single weapon and kit, then I think there won't be any issues. Similar to Splatoon 2's hero skins (barring Hero Roller) + Octoshot; most could identify what they were going up against immediately.

Cephalobro

If the Splattershot was to get alternate skins, it won't actually be too confusing considering they can just use their designs from the first two games as alternate skins, promo art helps lessen the confusion even further given the Splattershot has been present in more promo renders than any other weapon in the series.

And in terms of the pants options for the legging, the only reason why it might have been confusing was because it was the first case of customization options within one of the customization option, but I don't think that alone rules out the same idea for weapon skins. Again, not every single weapon will have alternate skins. Especially not the N'Zaps given their entire design idea is to be a callback to the NES and Famicom respectively, just like how the (currently only) S'Blast is a callback to the Super Nintendo in a way, which would not receive alternate skins because of the purpose of the design.

We are already getting alternate customization options within customization options in the upcoming anniversary update anyways, as we will be able to reverse the alignment of some caps and change the size of some shirts.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I think you're probably right but most weapons you can tell what they are simply by their silhouette. For things like the green N-zap like you mentioned, I think it would be more likely that you can put things like stickers on the weapon instead of changing the colors
I like that idea actually. This could work if every weapon's colors stayed the same but you had a given spot or two that you can apply a decal of your choosing. Customization without breaking the opponent's ability to rapidly recognize what's in your hands.

IMO as long as a select handful of weapons get skins, and not for every single weapon and kit, then I think there won't be any issues. Similar to Splatoon 2's hero skins (barring Hero Roller) + Octoshot; most could identify what they were going up against immediately.
In this case you'd run into another problem: player entitlement, heh. If some weapons get skins and customization and others don't, then I guarantee that the people who main the neglected weapons will complain for eternity. Even more than they do already, that is. We already saw that with the have/have not situation that was Main Power Up bestowing the always-controversial Damage Up on some weapons but not others.

If the Splattershot was to get alternate skins, it won't actually be too confusing considering they can just use their designs from the first two games as alternate skins, promo art helps lessen the confusion even further given the Splattershot has been present in more promo renders than any other weapon in the series.

We are already getting alternate customization options within customization options in the upcoming anniversary update anyways, as we will be able to reverse the alignment of some caps and change the size of some shirts.
I think you're underestimating the amount of effort involved in what you're asking. The customization they've offered so far is, to be quite honest, minimal. Take the changing of hat position for example. If you look closely, all the hats they've shown so far are the same model with different textures. Same for most of the shirts, except for the Takoroka Tandem. In those cases they just had do the job of flipping the model and setting up the coding for customization once, then apply that to every model of that type, and call it a day. Splatoon has a LOT of repeat clothing options for the sake of different colors or styles, which is how they're able to pull this off.

Weapons are different. In addition to the previously discussed issues of weapon visibility, every weapon has at most 2 different existing skins outside of stuff like the Splattershot. Coming up with new textures for each unique weapon, even without considering details like stickers, is probably more work than these devs are willing to do. And again, if only certain weapons get this feature, commence the complaining - everyone can wear a hat, but not everyone can reliably fight with the Splattershot.

And kudos if you actually read all of this 😅

iVialeko

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5878-9511-9588
My personal ideology on how weapon customization would work:

-Kits have always been directly tied to certain sub weapons, special weapons, and paint color schemes.

-In order for this to change, weapon designs can't be dependent by the specific weapons that Nintendo wants to put on them through their kits.

-Kits need to be redefined. This further means that main weapons need to be separated from this pre-selected kit system as a whole.

-Rather than having the "Carbon Roller Deco" with burst bomb and trizooka, or the "Carbon Roller" with autobomb and zipcaster; the weapon would instead just be known as the Carbon Roller with no kit classifying the weapon. (main weapons are their own identity)

-This opens up the door for customization to be applied to this weapon now through many different means. The "Deco" paint scheme can now be applied to the Carbon Roller separately, along with the choice of a sub and special weapon out of the three options provided by Nintendo that would otherwise have been pre-determined and packaged in three separate kits.

-If a .52 Gal is not its own kit, and rather its own singular entity, then now you can apply a color you want for it that Nintendo wants to code into the game, and that .52 Gal will have its own personality and identity from that applied customization. If a berry color scheme is applied per say, it will be the "Berry .52 Gal" with a choice of three sub and special weapons provided by Nintendo.

-Of course, if Nintendo wants to restrict certain color schemes to certain weapons, they very well can. Take the Soda Slosher for example.. That color scheme can be exclusive to that weapon or class.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom