• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The uselessness of ink saver sub

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
It's pretty helpful for subs that leave you basically empty after you use it, like the Sprinkler and Splash Wall. Otherwise you're basically going to die if you whiff your shot. Plenty of times my Splash Wall decides to play pinball and ends up on the other side of the map leaving me to say "Hi" with no ammo lol.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Can't you throw 4 burst bombs in a row with saver-sub instead of 3?
It's always 4 no matter how much you have, I think. Ive used :ability_inksaversub:gear with 3x Main and 3x subs and it was still 4, so even if it is possible to get a 5th I think it's kind of a waste of slots. Bomb range up, damage up, and ink recovery up all give you so much more bang for your buck with burst bombs

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Not only can it help save you from running out of ink, it can also help speed up the time to recover to a sizable ink tank after use and it can allow you to use a sub even if you have a solid chunk out of your ink tank. Good if you use a sub weapon a lot, like things with Disruptors, Ink Walls, Sprinklers, Burst Bombs, etc.

Far from useless but I admit Ink Saver Main is better.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
I like it for nozzlenose, it lets me throw 2 disruptors and still be able to shoot afterwards. You also need to be aggressive after landing a disruptor in order to utilize it well; so you really shouldn't chuck disruptors and then instantly wait for your ink to refill then find the disruptor ran out while waiting.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
One of my builds uses all main throw distance extend abilities (in all 3 pieces, hat, shirt, shoes) and then all ink-saver-sub for all 3 sub ability slots on the same item of the hat, shirt, shoes. The reason I use it is for burst bombs and bomb rush. It allows me to throw them nearly as far as most snipers can shoot and using a dive throw, I can get 5 of them out before running out of ink. When a special is activated, I make it rain burst bombs with insane distance. It's only useful purpose is for Splat Zones and only good for certain, open levels (Camp Triggerfish, Moray Towers, Kelp Dome, etc). It's main role is zone capture, suppression fire when the special is activated, or sniper annoyance/splat because of the throw distance.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
The awkward thing about this ability is that while it reduces the amount of ink a sub uses when it's thrown, it doesn't reduce the amount of ink a sub needs in order to be thrown. So if a sub uses 60% of your ink and you reduce that to 50%, you still need a tank that's 60% full before you can use the sub.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Took me a moment to realize that this was a necrobumped thread. The tipoff was the speculation about Ink Resistance being a useless ability. :P Anyway...
It's always 4 no matter how much you have, I think. Ive used :ability_inksaversub:gear with 3x Main and 3x subs and it was still 4, so even if it is possible to get a 5th I think it's kind of a waste of slots. Bomb range up, damage up, and ink recovery up all give you so much more bang for your buck with burst bombs
I'm not sure what the threshold is if you're only using Ink Saver (Sub), but I do know that if you combine 2 main abilities of Ink Saver (Sub) with Last Ditch Effort, you'll be just barely capable of throwing 5 Burst Bombs in a row.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Ink Saver Sub can actually be pretty useful for suction bomb users. Combine it with some Ink Recovery Up and you can zone out enemies with constant suction bomb throws easily, because they take so long to explode. This works especially well in the center of Warehouse.

Apart from that the ability is rather mediocre... for Splash Walls it's almost useless I think. They don't consume too much ink and you can throw only one at a time.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
The awkward thing about this ability is that while it reduces the amount of ink a sub uses when it's thrown, it doesn't reduce the amount of ink a sub needs in order to be thrown. So if a sub uses 60% of your ink and you reduce that to 50%, you still need a tank that's 60% full before you can use the sub.
Thats odd... Wonder why they did that? Is it a bug?

florence

Full Squid
yeah i'm kinda sad that the octoling armor has ink saver sub :(

though i do use that when i have a splash wall, cause that tends to use most of my ink

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Thats odd... Wonder why they did that? Is it a bug?
This is no bug. I'm fairly certainly it was programmed this particular way to stop people from using two Splat/Suction Bombs right after the other. Imagine how good this would be. Getting kills doing that would be pretty easy.

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
I run it as a main just so I can be aggressive after throwing down a sprinkler. Ink recovery would allow me to throw down more, but then there's a delay before I can rush a foe who's distracted. Once again, outclassed overall by other abilities, but not completely useless on its very specific builds and cases. Might be good with the Aerospray MG, since that thing uses up so little to shoot, any amount after firing a seeker can help.

Njok

Bouncer
I am 99% sure this is incorrect. I think you can actually see the red line on your inktank is moved down a bit with ink saver sub equipped.

Also that is the main reason i love the ability. Because you need less time refilling before throwing another sub.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Pro tip: Immediately after throwing a sub that uses considerable ink, shoot a single bullet/blast before going into squid form. I cuts the recoil time of the sub down to the time of the shot. If you don't do this then you'll see the gray area as it drops to the actual amount of ink in the tank leaving you with an extra second to wait before refilling.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
Of course it's useful. You throw your bomb and follow up with main weapon. I've tried with and without many times, and am driven crazy when I'm without ink saver sub. If you use bombs a lot, I consider the saver to be essential.

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
It's pretty useful for a charger, because when you get up close with an enemy and need to use your sub weapon to fight, the less ink wasted gives you more opportunity to use your sub again.

Squiglet

Inkling
The whole point of Ink Saver Sub is to leave you with more ink so that you are not completely out of ink when you use your sub. For burst bombs, ink saver sub is rather useless, but with other subs such as the Wall or the Sprinkler, it becomes much more useful.
Nailed it. Ink saver is AMAZING when you use the .52 gal and splash wall. Having those few extra shots really make a world of difference.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'd rather pick Ink Recovery over Sub Saver because it's more effective at gaining back lost ink from costly subs. I use my main weapon most of the time so i'll rather go with Main Saver over the alternative, and Sub Saver saves far too little for a weapon that i only use on occassion. I get that they don't want you to spam, but at the moment it's just not good at all.

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
I'd rather pick Ink Recovery over Sub Saver because it's more effective at gaining back lost ink from costly subs. I use my main weapon most of the time so i'll rather go with Main Saver over the alternative, and Sub Saver saves far too little for a weapon that i only use on occassion. I get that they don't want you to spam, but at the moment it's just not good at all.
Its just made so you can still get a few more shots without having to refill your ink tank after throwing out your sub. If you can afford to play defensive in a firefight, ink recovery is better, but if you need to shoot after throwing your sub, this works wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom