Votes: 17 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • "Why are you asking me punk?"

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Flamelord054

Inkster Jr.
I have never seen many players play comeback but I am one of the few who do. I want to discuss and get other opinions on this, in my opinion, a massively underrated ability. I find when playing an aggressive weapon this ability is very viable because you will be splated a ton but if you look at the time it lasts (20 seconds each time you die) and compare it with a consistent death ratio. Personally, in a tourney or scrim I find that in a close match I die 5-6 times now if you multiply that times the time for comeback that gives you 1:00- 1:20 seconds of the game and that time can easily make or break victory for your team but I digress.

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
I have always loved the idea of running Comeback, and sometimes I try it. However, as a very subjective and flighty player who bases a lot of decisions off of how I feel while playing something, I can't really get into it. I've watched all the videos that prove its usefulness, and I can understand how amazing it can be. But whenever I use it, the ability just doesn't seem to help me. I have the same problem with Tenacity and sometimes with Opening Gambit or Last Ditch Attempt. Is it viable? Hell yeah, for the player who can use it. So is Cold-Blooded and Ink Resistance Up, both of which I used to hate but now run for every serious game. But it is not viable for me and for some other players, and that's okay.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I've seen some competitive roller players run it on their quick respawn builds. I think it is definitely viable.

Didn't Nintendome or SND do some analysis of it somewhere?

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I normally hate the idea of running builds based around dying. But I think there is a lot of merit to something like a Quick Respawn Dynamo Roller build in Splat Zones, as it allows you to provide a constant suppression threat. Especially on maps like Mahi Mahi Resort, where you can cap the zone all by yourself with a few flicks. I've been running a Quick Respawn Dynamo build with the Squid Nordic Hat for Comeback and Quick Respawn, and I think the ability is pretty decent on such a build. However, it competes with Haunt for the "useful death" ability since you likely don't want to give up TWO Quick Respawn mains to fit both Comeback and Haunt on a Quick Respawn setup.

There might be other weapons where such a build is viable (Everyone loves Quick Respawn Luna Blasters, so maybe on those?), but I haven't personally played with them yet.

Last edited:

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I find it somewhat niche, as often you only have ten or so seconds to take advantage of the stat boosts once you get to battle. That being said, smart super jumping (With :ability_quicksuperjump: or :ability_recon:) or quick travel to the front lines (using shortcuts/:ability_swimspeed:) can make it useful for front line, high risk weapons.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
There might be other weapons where such a build is viable (Everyone loves Quick Respawn Luna Blasters, so maybe on those?), but I haven't personally played with them yet.
I imagine it's not as effective since Luna Blasters are fairly ink efficient as it is. The extra swim speed is ok but I feel like it's negligible, especially when you can just gear an actual Swim Speed on.

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
If you or a teammate have beakons, sure. Otherwise half of it is wasted in the swim back to battle.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
eh, It's not so good as a general skill but it definitely has its place with some weapons. I've never personally been a fan of things that require you to die to get them to work except in a few cases if it's just that good tactically or something, because I value not dying as the most important thing you can do as a rule of thumb (note, not always, there are many situations that are clearly worth dying for).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom