• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Theory: Octolings Are Brainwashed

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
I feel like this is a really important and well hidden piece of Splatoon game lore that we really should be talking about right now! and I'm quite amazed that only a few people have made off-handed comments about it so far. Maybe you already figured it out so it might not be that interesting or worth talking about, or maybe it's just a detail that's been over-looked, but let's get to the point of the theory:

The Octolings are being brainwashed and forced to fight the Inklings against their will

Now before I go on explaining this theory I just want to say that I am not the first person to have thought of this, and after doing some digging around, I found a YouTuber who goes by the name of Erickson Gaming that made a very well done video that goes into great detail about the theory. I will post a link to the video, but before you go and click on it, BE WARNED. His video spoiled the last boss of Splatoon 2 for me with very little warning! so if you have not beat the single-player mode yet, you might want to finish the game first!

Now if you don't want spoilers or are to lazy to click on the video (not judging) here's the short and sweet version:

Ever ask yourself why Marina is just accepted into squid society as if there wasn't a war going on between the Octolings and the Inklings? I mean it's kinda strange right? on top of that, Marina is incredibly sweet and well behaved. She doesn't become violent or attack other Inklings whatsoever.

The answer is just dark... the reason why Marina doesn't lash out with violence is because she is no longer being brainwashed by DJ Octavio and his goonies.

How exactly is he doing this? with the goggles/glasses that every Octoling wears. As you can see, Marina is not wearing any googles or dark glasses with the red lights in them, and she acts like a normal member of society. The other Octolings on the the other hand, are all wearing these goggles/glasses and they attack you on site! and for those of you who have seen the final boss of Splatoon 2? I think you know where I'm going with this...

Scroll number 2 in Splatoon 2 has a picture that supports this idea and I wouldn't be surprised if other scrolls do as well. I apologize if this picture is small. It was the best pic of this scroll on the internet I could find right now. If you have one that is a better up-close shot then feel free to post it. You can also go into story mode and look at the scroll for yourself, it's one of the first ones you pick up in Splatoon 2 so chances are you have the scroll.

Scroll 2.jpg

Take a close look at this picture... according some people I have talked to, this is a pic of the final boss fight in Splatoon 1 or it represents that fight. Now look at Marina. Is she just partying? or... is that a pair of goggles I see in her hands? She looks happy doesn't she? maybe a little to happy... as if she were completely overjoyed. I don't know about you, but id be pretty darn happy about finally pulling off a pair of goggles that forced me to fight against my will.

What do you guys make of all this info? do you agree with this theory? or do you have any info to disprove it? Maybe you know something I don't and have info that me and others have missed?

Nintendo has hinted about putting playable Octolings in the game and if that really is the case, I hope more light will be shed on this potentially dark theory...

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
DANG IT EMBER YOU STOLE MY THEORY! NOW I'LL HAVE TO BREAK OUT MY EMERGENCY INK AK-47!!!! Naw, just kidding. It wasn't even mine in the first place.
I think it could belong to all of us. :) I just wanted to bring it to attention so everyone could talk about it.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I think this is old news. I certainly heard it a couple of months ago and I believe it might have already been discussed on here?

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
I think this is old news. I certainly heard it a couple of months ago and I believe it might have already been discussed on here?
I looked around and only found like one or two people who mentioned it briefly. So I think there's still a lot of people who don't know yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom