• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Things I've Learned from my Alt Account

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
All right. The best stages I've found for inking with chargers are Kelp Dome, Mahi-Mahi Resort, Flounder Heights, and Piranha Pit. But I guess that all depends on your strategy. As I'm an inker, I instinctively go to the left as soon as the battle begins, unless someone else is already going there. I fi find myself using a charger, I'm splatting at ground level.

Still, you know that I get a lot of teammates who are afraid to get out of wherever it's safe. If I'm using an inking-based weapon like a Splattershot Jr., I can create the safe space for them. If I'm using a charger, and I get those kinds of players, they're very afraid to do anything and will advance much slower.

I'll try to disregard inking though. Does this apply to the Splat Chargers too? Certainly, it does not apply to the Squiffers or Bamboozlers in my hands.
For Piranha I'll generally go straight up the tower to the box perches. As fast as possible which is sometimes not fast enough unless I have enough swim speed up. From there, I might make a few ink lines if the enemy has not approached yet. These lines do give away my position but on that map the perch is unreachable unless you're close, and you will be highly known to the enemy the moment they step right of their spawn anyway so it's not as important. These lines are not meant to turf. They are meant to impede a quick on-foot traversal without having to draw my attention to hide around the crate to the left of the conveyor or down the long path to the right of it. If no one has still approached I will broaden that ink pool between our side and theirs with a few more shots. If they STILL have not approahced I may choose to turf enough to charge my kraken, but more times than not this will distract me at the wrong time and I'll miss the invasion. I also have to worry if they have not approached yet, since this means when they DO approach, they will have loaded specials and I have low odds of surviving that on the perch. Otherwise from beginning to end, most of my time will be spent shooting at them and firing "turfing" shots to quickly cover the trails they are creating into our territory and endlessly block their paths.

Kelp dome, I try to focus on mid exclusively. There's no time from the start to turf, since they WILL be heading to mid fast, and I try (and have mixed success with) heading them off. Mahi, I actually will do SOME inking there because it's so small a few shots cover half a map, and it makes great early detection on the islands. And the inking path is in the same direction as foes, not requiring me to look away. Flounder, the eliter is great for inking the long home base "street", but the critical problem is if you stop to do this, you are NOT watching who's crossing the bridge. If they've done so while you were unperched and not paying attention, you're already on your back heel and fighting uphill the rest of the round. Ground level splatting, map pending can be effective with eliter particularly if the perch is a disadvantage in that round for whatever reason, but never really at the cost of watching where you should be watching. Obviously a kraken focused Custom will be spending a little more time on inking particularly if running a special-based build. That would be the one reasonable exception. Even your little inkers should feel free to ink if you've cleared an enemy or two and your laser shows you're watching over the area (recklessly so I'd ad!) :)

I think it's particular to the eliter's role. While it does apply to splat chargers, the fast charge and shorter range means you're not being as depended upon to watch from on high, and your higher mobility shorter charge time means you can react more quickly at ground level than an eliter can. Turfing is definitely more viable with a splat charger, even with an aggressive foe. But it's still not the quickest reaction time weapon around. Both require careful observation and setup and don't react too well to being surprised.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Thanks for the advice regarding chargers. So the chargers do parallel the splatlings to some extent: The faster-charging ones are better suited for running about and getting into the fray inking, whereas the slower, longer-ranged ones are better suited for finding a spot and picking people off from there.

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
For Piranha I'll generally go straight up the tower to the box perches. As fast as possible which is sometimes not fast enough unless I have enough swim speed up. From there, I might make a few ink lines if the enemy has not approached yet.
Chargers like you are the reason I cover our left side on Piranha, haha. Also, the enemy team always have a habit of coming from that side, so I hold my ground. I typically like to run long ranged shooters like the Splattershot Pro and Custom Jet Squelcher, so holding defense isn't too hard.

Question: Where do you find those icons for your weapons in your signature?

Award

Maybe it's something I got used to having been to so many anime conventions. Locals get used to it too.
Yeah, it's definitely something that you could only get used to if you see it often. Anime itself is pretty niche. I always found it weird back in the Sailor Moon era. Coming of the 16 bit game era, even though I loved Japanese games, Anime still seemed super weird. It wasn't until much latter that some anime based games made it seem normal to me. Cosplay is much the same. To an outsider of the niche it would seem fetishistic at best.

Generic Inklings are the most common, followed by Callie and Marie. You also get the occasional Judd, Cap'n Cuttlefish, Octoling, and the rare DJ Octavio. If you look hard enough, you'll find a Booyah Base storekeeper (all are rare, but from what I can determine, Sheldon and Annie are the favorites).
Cuttlefish and octavio would be wierd. I read "cotoling" as "octotrooper" at first which would be VERY weird, but octolings are normal. And the booyah base cast would be kind of funny :)

Interestingly, I put up a comprehensive playthrough of Sonic Unleashed onto YouTube (both the Wii/PS2 version and the 360/PS3 version), and collectively, they seem to be incredibly popular videos. The "Back to Back Comparison" video recently reached one million views.
Well, the game SOLD well because it was a popular name on popular platforms before the name was tarnished. Anyone trying to play the Werehog levels would NEED a walkthrough ;) And the comparison was probably popular due to graphics snobs and power pushers that wanted to see how superior 360/PS3 was ;)

I played the game on PC back then FWIW. Add bug-ridden DirectX shader and texture pop problems to the mix of problems plaguing that game. Along with a frame rate that sunk to 15fps at times on what was at the time a top tier rig. I was very excited at the time to be playing a sonic game again for the first time in a long time. I'd have loved it no matter WHAT it was. But it was so bad, I never went back half way through.

When I see the opposing sniper repeatedly on the tower or repeatedly with the Rainmaker though, I can tell things are not going as planned for them.
Oh so true! :)

A bit of a heads-up: Splatoon does not get the YouTube attention games like Super Mario Maker or Call of Duty: Black Ops III get. I've never found much of an explanation why besides that it's a new IP. So if you want to upload videos of Splatoon, do it because you want to, not for any other reason.
Makes sense, BLOPS is THE super popular game, particularly popular among the youtube demographic. SMM gains attention because it's a creation game so whatever's being shown in the video is something new and unique. Splatoon, the information provided is helpful for someone learning strategies, but every match looks exactly the same in the same 14 maps from a visual standpoint so it's not interesting to watch, it's not BLOPS level audience to start, and nobody wants to watch it that doesn't have the game to be part of the club like COD or to "experience the game without buying it" like single player games. It's a game that's more interesting to play than to watch, unless you're watching it because you already play it and are serious about it enough to watch guides. Which is a win-win.

Award

Thanks for the advice regarding chargers. So the chargers do parallel the splatlings to some extent: The faster-charging ones are better suited for running about and getting into the fray inking, whereas the slower, longer-ranged ones are better suited for finding a spot and picking people off from there.
I think that's sort of the paralell with all weapon classes, really. There's mostly a "stationary long range/midrange/fast mobile" version in all classes. The dynamo roller is going to park mostly in one spot and fling, the carbon & brushes will be mobile. Shooters have JS/CJS that slows down like a charger when shooting and needs to operate almost like a charger, 96 gal is best behind its wall but can press forward well, and then you have DS & aerospray. Blasters have the RB that moves pretty fast in the fray, along with luna, but the Range Blaster is so slow it has to keep its distance and think slow and tactical. Sloshers are probably the only one that doesn't have a true "heavy" class. Ooohh, that would be a good new content weapon: The mop bucket (heavy slosher)!
Chargers like you are the reason I cover our left side on Piranha, haha. Also, the enemy team always have a habit of coming from that side, so I hold my ground. I typically like to run long ranged shooters like the Splattershot Pro and Custom Jet Squelcher, so holding defense isn't too hard.

Question: Where do you find those icons for your weapons in your signature?
LOL, probably :oops:

The frustrating thing is that there are times it works well. I'll pick them off as soon as they come around and hold fort for at least 2/3 the match. Then there are those rounds that I keep missing every shot, and for some reason can not hit anything. I'm convinced there's lag issues involved because I'll never understand how I can to 7/0 for half a dozen rounds then have a few rounds where I miss almost every single shot, and then resume going 6/0. But on those rounds where I miss even one oppoenent, things are going to snowball fast. And it's hard to regain control on that map once the enemy has mid and parks in front of your conveyor! :mad: My favorite was the sploosh that got by me, made it down the ramp to our pit. I had to take him out before they SJ. But I couldn't hit him. Finally I managed to take him out with 2 partial charges at point blank range like it's an inkbrush. That sploosh must have had awful aim! :p Then I made it up the down conveyor in time to find the rest of his team headed right at me. I think I got one or two of them before their bomb rushes took me out! :rolleyes:

The icons for most of the (I think you found them!) are on the emoticons window in the "weapons" tab. The ones they don't have built into the list I had to link to the Splatoon Wikia thumbnails :)

Edit: Yay, this was my 500th post, so I get to join the ranks of you Inkling Fleet Admirals now. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom