Things I've Learned from my Alt Account

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I didn't think there were any kids like that LEFT! Most kids seem to have a mouth that would make a sailor cringe and a very unnatural affinity for anything with exposed vital organs. As one of the latter type kids you describe myself, well, heck, even I played Castlevania! But shooters took me a long time to accept (but those had real gothic themes, crucifix es with demons, zombies, and actual blood colored gore. I don't think even I'd have been so traumatized by Splatoon as these kids,and if I wouldn't, no one can be. I *STILL* can NOT watch horror films or graphically violent (when it's not over the top like James Bond or 80's action films sort of things) films. Pretty sure I'll never watch a Tarantino film! :p
My guess is that a lot of these kids actually go to private schools or are homeschooled. I remember knowing someone when I was little who went to a private school, then went to a public school because his parents could no longer afford it. After a week, he was in tears because of how brutal the environment was, and his parents decided they'll change their budget in order to put hijm back into private school.

That's a good point about the Sploosh, I forgot it gets unlocked so late. I do wonder how many of these people "don't want to kill" versus "can't aim worth anything so avoid combat." Motion controls aren't exactly "auto aim" from other shooters! It's much more like PC gaming with a mouse and requires a higher skill level from the start.
I wouldn't doubt it if many of these people who avoid combat entirely DID try before but couldn't actually hit anyone and so decide to stick with inking without attacking anybody.

Though the single-player mode does help with aiming and dodging, as well as efficiently getting where you want, it doesn't help much against human players, who are more intelligent than to simply stay in one place, which is what the Octarians predominantly do.

I haven't paid close attention to try and find patterns in weapon selection, but I'd say the weapon selection has been pretty much all over the place in my experience. I wouldn't confidently say that it's random but I wouldn't say I see a definite pattern. I use either the Luna Blaster or the Octoshot/Tentatek, so maybe the results are different.
From what I can see, sometimes, there's a lot of the same weapon, and sometimes there's none at all. I don't really see any pattern either, and while it is always interesting if, say, I'm using a Bamboozler and someone else is also using one, or I'm using a Custom Hydra Splatling and someone else is using one, I think that's confirmation bias on my part.

I use every single weapon in the game I have access to roughly equally though (which, presently, means no Octoshop Replica as I haven't reached Level 40), so maybe the game tries to determine your main and looks for opponents with similar mains. Then again, you dsay you main the Luna Blaster and the Tentatek Splattershot, and there's no shortage of people using those online.

Last edited:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Then again, you dsay you main the Luna Blaster and the Tentatek Splattershot, and there's no shortage of people using those online.
I have been on teams with three tentateks/octoshots or lunas, or I've seen them on the other team, but it's not typical. It's not unusual for me to be the only Tentatek or Luna Blaster on a team. I have seen a few games with a team of all tentateks/octoshots, and I'm not sure I've seen that with any other single weapon (though I have seen a team of all the same weapon type). Just my experience.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
My guess is that a lot of these kids actually go to private schools or are homeschooled. I remember knowing someone when I was little who went to a private school, then went to a public school because his parents could no longer afford it. After a week, he was in tears because of how brutal the environment was, and his parents decided they'll change their budget in order to put hijm back into private school.
Must be a West Coast thing. Around here the private school kids are the snottiest, most arrogant, most obnoxious kids of the bunch. The public school kids are just jerks that like antagonizing people. The private school kids KNOW they're better, and more importantly, know their parents are better, than everyone else. :p When I picture the "COD Thug" 8 year old screaming into the microphone, I picture both the trashy nose pierced type kids, and the "Aren't I a little angel, Mr. Teacher?" (with a sweet, innocent grin, while he has his shoe dug into some kids throat under his desk) smug little private school brats. The first I can dismiss as trash. The second I want to take a roller to the face in real life. ;)

The teddy bear clutching "I don't want to hurt anyone" little kid would I suppose be the one under the desk with the shoe on his throat :rolleyes:

I wouldn't doubt it if many of these people who avoid combat entirely DID try before but couldn't actually hit anyone and so decide to stick with inking without attacking anybody.

Though the single-player mode does help with aiming and dodging, as well as efficiently getting where you want, it doesn't help much against human players, who are more intelligent than to simply stay in one place, which is what the Octarians predominantly do.
Yeah, single player is a great tutorial as it's designed to be, but the Ocolings aren't the smartest AI shooters. They're not bad, but they could be better. But at the same time they should be used to shooting opponents from single player. So I'd think most of them don't because they suck, not because they don't want to :) Heck, even I went through a "let me just ink with my splat roller" phase in early multiplayer. And it was fun! In TW it's fairly viable even if you stay wherever the enemy isn't and paint stuff it can work (though usually not since it's easy stuff for them to keep re-inking.) Not so viable in ranked, however. The game modes are very splat focused. The only one in which inking is rewarded at all beyond setting up territory to operate within is SZ, and if everyone's trying to ink the same 20 ft spot, someone has to be "removed". I'll never understand how the little inkers get ranks above C. :confused:

From what I can see, sometimes, there's a lot of the same weapon, and sometimes there's none at all. I don't really see any pattern either, and while it is always interesting if, say, I'm using a Bamboozler and someone else is also using one, or I'm using a Custom Hydra Splatling and someone else is using one, I think that's confirmation bias on my part.

I use every single weapon in the game I have access to roughly equally though (which, presently, means no Octoshop Replica as I haven't reached Level 40), so maybe the game tries to determine your main and looks for opponents with similar mains. Then again, you dsay you main the Luna Blaster and the Tentatek Splattershot, and there's no shortage of people using those online.
How are you an inker with a bamboozler and a hydra? o_O:p They're not exactly great turfing weapons! Hydra's at least ok with the sprinkler (awful without it.) But even with sprinklers, if I end up top ink on my team with CHydra, my team's got some 'splaining to do.

Award

I have been on teams with three tentateks/octoshots or lunas, or I've seen them on the other team, but it's not typical. It's not unusual for me to be the only Tentatek or Luna Blaster on a team. I have seen a few games with a team of all tentateks/octoshots, and I'm not sure I've seen that with any other single weapon (though I have seen a team of all the same weapon type). Just my experience.
I agree, it's often the same weapon TYPE more than the same specific weapon model. Eliters (or even eliters and splatterscopes) but I wouldn't include bamboozlers and squiffers in that. Hydras are just hydras, I don't include heavy's in there.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I agree, it's often the same weapon TYPE more than the same specific weapon model. Eliters (or even eliters and splatterscopes) but I wouldn't include bamboozlers and squiffers in that. Hydras are just hydras, I don't include heavy's in there.
Just to clarify in case it wasn't clear, with the 'weapon type' comment of mine, I was referring to the times I do see a team with the same weapon type vs. the times I've seen all tentatek/octoshot teams.

With that said, the times I see a more homogeneous weapon selection is with shooters. I can't recall seeing an entire team of snipers/chargers, and I think I've seen a team or two with all rollers, but it's not at all weird to see a team of tentateks and gals, etc.

Award

Just to clarify in case it wasn't clear, with the 'weapon type' comment of mine, I was referring to the times I do see a team with the same weapon type vs. the times I've seen all tentatek/octoshot teams.

With that said, the times I see a more homogeneous weapon selection is with shooters. I can't recall seeing an entire team of snipers/chargers, and I think I've seen a team or two with all rollers, but it's not at all weird to see a team of tentateks and gals, etc.
Interesting - I've definitely seen numerous all roller teams (and happen to have carbon as a main) - and I often see all chargers teams (and happen to have eliter as a main.) All chargers teams are generally 2-3 eliters, 1-2 splat charger/splatterscope, and if it's not filled out by those, maybe a squiffer thrown in. But I'm often on teams with 3 eliters and a splat charger, or 1 eliter and 3 splatterscopes. Which is annoying because the less experienced chargers will always force me off my perches, miss all their shots, and leave me to clean up the mess on the ground.

So it does seem to have something to do with bringing certain weapons (or maining certain weapons.)

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Interesting - I've definitely seen numerous all roller teams (and happen to have carbon as a main) - and I often see all chargers teams (and happen to have eliter as a main.) All chargers teams are generally 2-3 eliters, 1-2 splat charger/splatterscope, and if it's not filled out by those, maybe a squiffer thrown in. But I'm often on teams with 3 eliters and a splat charger, or 1 eliter and 3 splatterscopes. Which is annoying because the less experienced chargers will always force me off my perches, miss all their shots, and leave me to clean up the mess on the ground.

So it does seem to have something to do with bringing certain weapons (or maining certain weapons.)
I'm always happy when I see a few elitre/chargers and they're not very good :)

It's possible I've seen all sniper/charger teams, it's just not common enough for me to remember. Alternatively, all shooter teams are really common. In my experience at least.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Must be a West Coast thing. Around here the private school kids are the snottiest, most arrogant, most obnoxious kids of the bunch. The public school kids are just jerks that like antagonizing people. The private school kids KNOW they're better, and more importantly, know their parents are better, than everyone else. :p When I picture the "COD Thug" 8 year old screaming into the microphone, I picture both the trashy nose pierced type kids, and the "Aren't I a little angel, Mr. Teacher?" (with a sweet, innocent grin, while he has his shoe dug into some kids throat under his desk) smug little private school brats. The first I can dismiss as trash. The second I want to take a roller to the face in real life. ;)

The quiet kids, naturally, would not stand out, so you're less likelyto notice them. Outside of school, they don't really go places that often, but when they do, they'll also try to keep low profiles. If you ever visit a grocery store or a department store or what have you, the kids who stay very close to their parents and keep absolutely quiet--they are those kids.[/quote]

Yeah, single player is a great tutorial as it's designed to be, but the Octolings aren't the smartest AI shooters. They're not bad, but they could be better. But at the same time they should be used to shooting opponents from single player. So I'd think most of them don't because they suck, not because they don't want to :) Heck, even I went through a "let me just ink with my splat roller" phase in early multiplayer. And it was fun! In TW it's fairly viable even if you stay wherever the enemy isn't and paint stuff it can work (though usually not since it's easy stuff for them to keep re-inking.) Not so viable in ranked, however. The game modes are very splat focused. The only one in which inking is rewarded at all beyond setting up territory to operate within is SZ, and if everyone's trying to ink the same 20 ft spot, someone has to be "removed". I'll never understand how the little inkers get ranks above C. :confused:
I see a LOT fewer of them when in Ranked, even at the C-ranks, which leads me to believe they avoid Ranked.

While I'm sure a lot of them refuse to engage in combat because they've failed many times, the principle is the same: Fear. Human-controlled Inklings behave nothing like the AI. For the Octoling mission in Blackbelly Skatepark, for instance, they won't come up onto the tower, so you're safe up there. That creates a disconnect from Octarians, who behave like normal video game enemies: Slow, predictable, and easily dispatched. But I think some of these timid kids don't even play single-player mode.

How are you an inker with a bamboozler and a hydra? o_O:p They're not exactly great turfing weapons! Hydra's at least ok with the sprinkler (awful without it.) But even with sprinklers, if I end up top ink on my team with CHydra, my team's got some 'splaining to do.
These were the results of my last recorded matches where I used a Bamboozler and a Hydra Splatling, respectively.

bamboozlerandhydra.jpg

Last edited:

Award

The quiet kids, naturally, would not stand out, so you're less likelyto notice them. Outside of school, they don't really go places that often, but when they do, they'll also try to keep low profiles. If you ever visit a grocery store or a department store or what have you, the kids who stay very close to their parents and keep absolutely quiet--they are those kids.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I was definitely one of those kids. But video games I always took seriously ;)

I just didn't think any of those kids still existed.

I see a LOT fewer of them when in Ranked, even at the C-ranks, which leads me to believe they avoid Ranked.

While I'm sure a lot of them refuse to engage in combat because they've failed many times, the principle is the same: Fear. Human-controlled Inklings behave nothing like the AI. For the Octoling mission in Blackbelly Skatepark, for instance, they won't come up onto the tower, so you're safe up there. That creates a disconnect from Octarians, who behave like normal video game enemies: Slow, predictable, and easily dispatched. But I think some of these timid kids don't even play single-player mode.
Hmm, while I occasionally see a player with no rank at all (above lv10) and do see C-'s (always on my team) I rarely see anyone below at least C+ (and generally I'm not paying much attention to the C+'s since the inevitable A+/S/S+ player(s) on the other team are gunning straight for me the whole round.)

Yeah the octolings are kind of predictable, but I've found they're more dangerous on the custom single player maps than the main maps used in single player. Those small platforms where two of them spawn and you may have a fan lift to escape, even I got splatted a few times there.

These were the results of my last recorded matches where I used a Bamboozler and a Hydra Splatling, respectively.

But sheesh HOW do you get 1165p with a BAMBOOZLER? Do you even have finger ligaments left after that?? (And that is one VERY unhappy looking squid...)

And how did you out-ink a DYNAMO with a Hydra??

Your CHydra k/d looks like mine, but with way more ink....is that Walleye in the background? That's a hideously large amount of ink for a hydra, sprinklers and all on that (or any) map! And even I go full inker with a Chydra on Triggerfish....I just torment the enemy with endless sprinklers from the ramps/gates.

Is that a clan tag on your account too? :)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
That's actually Ancho-V Games, not Walleye Warehouse. Just to highlight how recent these matches are. (And the match where I used the Bamboozler 14 Mk II is Piranha Pit, but I think that's more obvious.) Bear in mind, though, that these are numbers with the victory bonus. The actual amount I inked would've been 865p with the Bamboozler 14 Mk II and 882p with the Custom Hydra Splatling. I can get these numbers because, as you said, I am an inker. The trick is to avoid getting splatted, but the hard part to that is that you can only get scores like that by being out in the front lines, where it's most dangerous.

"LPS" is not a clan by any normal definition, and I am the only one of the group who has it in the name. Gatherings are rare (there's only ever been two), and it's about as loose as it gets. Rather, "LPS" actually stands for "Littlest Pet Shop," and Blythe is the name of the protagonist in the 2012 series. I've decided to just hold on to that Mii to use in Splatoon and other games, as supposedly, the 2012 series is currently on its fourth and final season. I have some level of attachment to that series in that I write the TV Tropes episode recaps for it, though its original purpose was simply to mess with the bronies on TV Tropes in that they have very detailed episode recaps for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magicand the Equestria Girls movies: I would create equally detailed recaps for Littlest Pet Shop (2012), the sister show that is distinctly and obviously less popular. As a result, I have a very thorough knowledge of the show, its events, and its characters. Turns out people appreciated these recaps, so I kept going. These are the recaps, if you want to take a look. They get longer the later into the series they are.

Award

That's actually Ancho-V Games, not Walleye Warehouse. Just to highlight how recent these matches are. (And the match where I used the Bamboozler 14 Mk II is Piranha Pit, but I think that's more obvious.) Bear in mind, though, that these are numbers with the victory bonus. The actual amount I inked would've been 865p with the Bamboozler 14 Mk II and 882p with the Custom Hydra Splatling. I can get these numbers because, as you said, I am an inker. The trick is to avoid getting splatted, but the hard part to that is that you can only get scores like that by being out in the front lines, where it's most dangerous.
Weird, I never realized how much the map of Ancho-V looks like Walleye (*shudder*)

If I crack a thousand with a CHydra, I will be raging at my team and change lobbies. :scared: I'll generally ink key chokepoints with sprinklers, and/or wherever I can charge my bubbler, but mostly play "aggressive sniper" with it - holding a sniping position but being a lot more mobile off the perch and covering various territories than an eltier safely allows. I do play it as an ink achor, but that's just it, using my sprinklers more to ANCHOR a position than to constantly seek new turf. But your k/d is pretty much par with mine, despite all that ink, that's what's really amazing.

Though in the inker pool, your opponents may not all be ruthlessly trying to bread and fry you the whole match. ;) I spend half the match just evading and trying to fend off CQC attacks then re-claiming the turf I had to relinquish.

"LPS" is not a clan by any normal definition, and I am the only one of the group who has it in the name. Gatherings are rare (there's only ever been two), and it's about as loose as it gets. Rather, "LPS" actually stands for "Littlest Pet Shop," and Blythe is the name of the protagonist in the 2012 series. I've decided to just hold on to that Mii to use in Splatoon and other games, as supposedly, the 2012 series is currently on its fourth and final season. I have some level of attachment to that series in that I write the TV Tropes episode recaps for it, though its original purpose was simply to mess with the bronies on TV Tropes in that they have very detailed episode recaps for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magicand the Equestria Girls movies: I would create equally detailed recaps for Littlest Pet Shop (2012), the sister show that is distinctly and obviously less popular. As a result, I have a very thorough knowledge of the show, its events, and its characters. Turns out people appreciated these recaps, so I kept going. These are the recaps, if you want to take a look. They get longer the later into the series they are.
LOL, that's just about the last explanation I could have expected! That's pretty funny, actually. Perhaps I shouldn't have immediate fear of "clan tags" when I see them, after all! :p

LPS actually looks cute (just glancing at your recaps.) I'll take ANYTHING compared to My Little Pony :scared:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
LPS actually looks cute (just glancing at your recaps.) I'll take ANYTHING compared to My Little Pony :scared:
Way off topic but...I don't see the problem with My Little Pony. My kids like both shows, but since we only have one TV (and splatoon doesn't have off-tv play) I often sit through episodes of both LPS AND My Little Pony. My Little Pony is, by my estimation, much better written and more enjoyable. There is often action, drama, comedy, and a "friendship" message. Lots of stuff for parents to enjoy sprinkled throughout (my kids ask me why I'm laughing).

Bronies aside, do people just dislike My Little Pony because it's hip to do so?

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I definitely think it's the Bronies. I very rarely say this, but those people genuinely scare me.
Wait, so people can dress up as Harry Potter, Anakin Skywalker, Catniss Everdeen, Iron Man, Dr. Who, Deadpool, or Edward Cullen and people are completely cool with it. At the very least people leave them alone to enjoy their fandom with minimal derision (Twilight notwithstanding). But, people dress up as cartoon ponies and all bets are off....

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Wait, so people can dress up as Harry Potter, Anakin Skywalker, Catniss Everdeen, Iron Man, Dr. Who, Deadpool, or Edward Cullen and people are completely cool with it. At the very least people leave them alone to enjoy their fandom with minimal derision (Twilight notwithstanding). But, people dress up as cartoon ponies and all bets are off....
First of all, I never said anything of the sort and I'll thank you to let me speak for myself. Second of all, I separate fans of the show from Bronies in the same way that I separate Christians from the Westboro Baptist Church. Bronies scare me for the same reason many Sonic fans scare me. They hijacked a fandom, claimed it as their own, and continually harass and bully other fans who aren't part of their radical sect. They did all of this while believing they were unfairly persecuted because they live in an echo chamber and truly don't understand why people consider them obnoxious or bullies. This wouldn't be as big a deal if it weren't for the fact that MLP appeals to a lot of kids who may join fan communities without the faintest idea of what they're in for should they cross one of these people.

There's also the whole drama about them making porn of a character dedicated to some kid with a terminal illness and telling his mother the kid should be flattered that Bronies are using his Make-A-Wish character to "clop." I don't know about you, but that's firmly in "eyebrow raising" territory for me. I really couldn't care less if people want to play dress-up. The other stuff is what bugs me about Bronies, and, right or wrong, having the show associated with nutters casts a shadow on the whole thing. I keep a safe distance from Naruto for similar reasons.

Award

When kids dress up as these characters on Oct 31, that's cute.
When teen-20-somethings dress up as that at a national convention for film, comics, games, genres, etc, it's a fun fandom going nuts.

Please tell me you have not seen any of the above on any other occasion. o_O

(Also, dressing up as a boy who can use magic or a man in a super suit who solves crimes and saves the day is one thing. Dressing up as a semi-anthropomorphic rainbow colored pony is a little less...rational? ;))

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
(Also, dressing up as a boy who can use magic or a man in a super suit who solves crimes and saves the day is one thing. Dressing up as a semi-anthropomorphic rainbow colored pony is a little less...rational? ;))
Why?

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - CS Lewis

In any event, I've derailed the thread. Please return to your regularly scheduled "things I've learned from my alt account" posts...

Award

Why?

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - CS Lewis

In any event, I've derailed the thread. Please return to your regularly scheduled "things I've learned from my alt account" posts...
Oh, very true, and I've always liked that Lewis quote. It's not a matter of childishness being the problem with dressing up as a rainbow colored pony. It's that that particular dress-up is just so awful for any age or event. :scared: I don't know, everything about My Little Pony is just very disturbing. It's not the just the Flower Children motif. There's just something horrifically, fundamentally wrong about My Little Pony. Always has been. It was warped in the '80's and it's still warped today.;) LPS is fine. That seems like standard cartoon world, that's fine. MLP is just....maybe it is because it's steeped so much in the essence of "Flower Power" that I feel like I should be taking a lot of psychotropic drugs just to make it not feel warped. :D

Award

Way off topic but...I don't see the problem with My Little Pony. My kids like both shows, but since we only have one TV (and splatoon doesn't have off-tv play) I often sit through episodes of both LPS AND My Little Pony. My Little Pony is, by my estimation, much better written and more enjoyable. There is often action, drama, comedy, and a "friendship" message. Lots of stuff for parents to enjoy sprinkled throughout (my kids ask me why I'm laughing).
After being subjected to that, it's no wonder you go on losing streaks in Splatoon! "The colors, it's rainbow colors everywhere, make it stop! I'll splat you alll!!!";)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom