This game has turned into Call of Duty...

Yuubi

Full Squid
Well I'm sorry that I have to play aggro at times in order to give my team mates the advantage in turf war at times. I'm sorry that I have to go aggro when it comes to the point where I am getting tired of constantly getting attacked/splatted by the same player who keeps splatting me and my teammates, for the last two minutes in turf war and we are in the "danger zone" and this has always occured especially when I'm trying not to be the "bad guy" here and just trying to ink as much turf as I can.

I am sorry for using aerospray on that sniper in moray towers because he was preventing my teammates to move from above his ledge and even sniping some us on to our own ledge zone and also at the time when I accidently cornered four squids inside an aerospray when they had merely a few seconds to move out the way which at least two of them didn't. Not my problem if you do not move out in time, same can be said for me and my team if I so happened to get splatted by upcoming aerospray, when you're cornered you're cornered but when you have a chance to escape take that chance and don't just sit there and back up to a corner... 9 out of 10 you're going to be splatted by it like that.

I am sorry for rushing towards the middle and going up the small path just to plant a mine bomb onto a random player that's not even "Thinking" how they should approach or even walk forward when seeing enemy ink on the edge of the ledge in arowana mall. I am sorry for killing an enemy inkling when they just literally kill a teammate in front of me and then start to"Squid breaking/Squid flopping/dancing" before getting splatted by me.

Others had already said this before in this thread, But, like my aunt had said to me I was trying to explain to her about the whole point of this game's goal was, to ink as much turf as you can it is not focus on kill your enemies first and with her smart remarks she said "Okay, so if I am your enemy and you see me, are you going to ignore me or are you going to shoot me?" Ask yourself that... Not saying if you seen and enemy from afar that doesn't mean to chase after them, just be cautious and ink somewhere else, but if they are close to you I am pretty sure your enemy is going shoot you the moment you're in their view point especially if they have the range to actually hit you from afar.

There is other ways to win turf war without being aggro but if you're seeing a teammate being aggro and being the "bait" here wouldn't this be the time where you can take the advantage here where you should focus on getting into the enemy's turf or stay away from the cross fire? I've seen this tactic works so many time especially with the "1 minute left" where the dominate team lose their dominance because of that aggro player.. try to use that to your advantage. Instead of sitting there yelling at your gamepad, facing palming because of the idiotic things your teammates does (if you do that..) :) <-- gonna add that smiley face so people can understand that I'm not trying to sound harsh here...

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
so tl;tr the new mechanic favors experience and teamplay rather greedy moneymaking and lone wolverie.
Sorry about clipping the rest of your post, but THIS THIS THIS. Now I can actually use the Custom Jet Squelcher and level decently, instead of having to go overboard with stuff like Aerosprays or Splash-O-Matic.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Sorry about clipping the rest of your post, but THIS THIS THIS. Now I can actually use the Custom Jet Squelcher and level decently, instead of having to go overboard with stuff like Aerosprays or Splash-O-Matic.
Don't feel sorry, its pretty much the main point on my post, i don't have anything against Aerospray! I really like it! But every time i needed some money i took this gun and pretty much ignored my team, because of greed for more coins.

And thats really a bad thing for an Online Team Shooter.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I'm sensing some salt behind some people's posts here. (Yuubi's maybe)? What I posted was just a simple opinion was what I felt was going on lately in the world of Splatoon. I know opinions are not taken too kindly on the internet. You guys have definitely convinced me this game is no COD, but I just want to know if there was anything I said that offended you guys? I apologize in advance for it if I did offend you. I'm by no means telling you all how to play. Who am I to be the judge of that?

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
I had never thought about levels 20+ now being focused on winning vs. ink points. Very good point and makes a lot of sense.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Splatoon actually does have a bit of rubberbanding for people who are losing. Your special meters will slowly charge a bit by themselves (like the tenacity ability but much more subtle) for example. I think Turf wars are pretty balanced for multiple play styles and that you need to do both killing and covering turf.
I also noticed that covering an area in solid ink is more likely to stay inked than kind of splotchy cover so it isn't that bad to have both an aggressive team mate and a team mate who likes to cover up gaps and corners other team mates miss.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
How are any of these cheap in any definition of the word? Are you not supposed to use your special ability or positional advantage you have?
I was just taking a wild guess. It might be viable and part of the game, but it can be frustrating anyways. Nothing like carrying a team to victory and end up loosing because half of the enemy team had Inkstrikes at the last second (again, I'm not complaining, just saying it's frustrating)

Splatoon actually does have a bit of rubberbanding for people who are losing. Your special meters will slowly charge a bit by themselves (like the tenacity ability but much more subtle) for example.
I'll have to test that out >_>

dapperlace

Pro Squid
Citation needed

Why shouldn't the person with superior aim be rewarded? I like bring rewarded when I use the blaster personally. The view that everyone should have an equal chance of winning is not liked by much as far as I'm aware. All it does is punish skilled players, which is why I dislike Mario Kart's rubberbanding. It's like SJWs, sort of, how they want equality and try to force people to disregard weights while choosing a partner. Hard work should be rewarded, and being chosen is should be earned, not handed. But that's just what I think.
I can agree with this. Sure, I'm not as skilled as other players, but I still put in the work to learn, and I do fairly well. It's not like I'm talented at video games or anything. If people want to get better at something, then they should put in the work to practice, so that they don't feel like they're behind.

In terms of the Splatting people not mattering, I think people misunderstand the statement from the Splatoon direct that says you don't earn points from Splatting opponents. In that sense, Turf Wars isn't "kill-based", however (for those convinced that Splatting shouldn't really be much of a thing), that doesn't mean Splatting is not important. Not only does it immediately cover a decent area with a team's ink, it keeps the opponent unable to spread their own for a while, which is a huge advantage in Turf Wars.

If people find themselves getting Splatted a lot, perhaps they should consider Special Savers and Quick Re-spawns as abilities until they feel they've improved, to get back into the action more quickly.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Don't feel sorry, its pretty much the main point on my post, i don't have anything against Aerospray! I really like it! But every time i needed some money i took this gun and pretty much ignored my team, because of greed for more coins.

And thats really a bad thing for an Online Team Shooter.
Well, you still get money based on turf covered in Turf War, so the Aerospray is still the best weapon for making money. Still, your point stands, the Aerospray probably isn't the best for levelling up anymore (past 20, up to that point it's still the level grinding machine it was before) and you can succeed at it equally well with just about any weapon if you're good (and your teammates are okay). Which is great, if you ask me.

Splatoon actually does have a bit of rubberbanding for people who are losing. Your special meters will slowly charge a bit by themselves (like the tenacity ability but much more subtle) for example. I think Turf wars are pretty balanced for multiple play styles and that you need to do both killing and covering turf.
I also noticed that covering an area in solid ink is more likely to stay inked than kind of splotchy cover so it isn't that bad to have both an aggressive team mate and a team mate who likes to cover up gaps and corners other team mates miss.
Yeah, I've noticed this during Ranked matches, but does it also apply in Turf Wars if you're getting crushed?

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I don't think anyone here says, the game should be completely pacifistic.
Of course kills stem the opponent ink coverage, giving your team an advantage.
Nobody denies that. And it is a viable strategy.

Though there are a few who take the concept a little too far.

As for the "Beginner vs Pro" argument.
i think it is pretty hopeless. We won't ever agree with each other here.

Most people seem to have the "Beginners? Lower levels? §%@& EM!" mentality.
As in, they say people with better skills and aim should win by default.
And nobody seems to care or even have any respect for people with lower skills.

Of course, this "survival of the fittest" mentality is understandable.
And if Ranked Mode is the subject, you will never see me objecting to this.

But Regular Turf Wars is a whole 'nother horse, if you ask me.
Again, it is supposed to be a more laid-back mode, for people who play for fun, not to prove themselves.
The game itself described it like that.

And for this mode, I think some more leniency towards beginners and the like, should be acceptable.

Jump at my throat and try to kill me all you want over it, but I still like Mario Kart for its concept.
Better skills increase your odds of winning. But items ensure that lower skills have a winning chance as well.
I can see how annoying it can be so some people.

But I am a liberal person.
I have respect for other players and grant them their winning chances, regardless of skills.
And I am all for equality.

Again, I ONLY suggest this for Turf Wars, NOT RANKED!
Ranked is supposed to be serious and unforgiving.
But Turf Wars, not so much.

But yeah, Unbalances in matchmaking and limiting level designs are a problem in my eyes.
But that is just me.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'll have to test that out >_>
Yeah, I've noticed this during Ranked matches, but does it also apply in Turf Wars if you're getting crushed?
Thank god someone else noticed- people usually call me crazy when I mention it and suggest I just didn't know I was wearing a tenacity hat.
It might be more pronounced in Ranked or we might notice it more because sometimes we are hiding/the match is longer and definitely not spreading ink in any way.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Just curious about this part...was Mario Party ever about skill?
Not exactly, but it was a casual game for everyone where skill still mattered, now you have basically no control over what happens at all.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I don't think anyone here says, the game should be completely pacifistic.
Of course kills stem the opponent ink coverage, giving your team an advantage.
Nobody denies that. And it is a viable strategy.

Though there are a few who take the concept a little too far.

As for the "Beginner vs Pro" argument.
i think it is pretty hopeless. We won't ever agree with each other here.

Most people seem to have the "Beginners? Lower levels? §%@& EM!" mentality.
As in, they say people with better skills and aim should win by default.
And nobody seems to care or even have any respect for people with lower skills.

Of course, this "survival of the fittest" mentality is understandable.
And if Ranked Mode is the subject, you will never see me objecting to this.

But Regular Turf Wars is a whole 'nother horse, if you ask me.
Again, it is supposed to be a more laid-back mode, for people who play for fun, not to prove themselves.
The game itself described it like that.

And for this mode, I think some more leniency towards beginners and the like, should be acceptable.

Jump at my throat and try to kill me all you want over it, but I still like Mario Kart for its concept.
Better skills increase your odds of winning. But items ensure that lower skills have a winning chance as well.
I can see how annoying it can be so some people.

But I am a liberal person.
I have respect for other players and grant them their winning chances, regardless of skills.
And I am all for equality.

Again, I ONLY suggest this for Turf Wars, NOT RANKED!
Ranked is supposed to be serious and unforgiving.
But Turf Wars, not so much.

But yeah, Unbalances in matchmaking and limiting level designs are a problem in my eyes.
But that is just me.

I would argue that Turf War is actually harder to win (with random teams AND with organized teams) because the objective is more broad and thus there are more factors and strategies to counter. Ranked just seems more unforgiving since you get punished pretty hard for losing (TW now punishes you worse for losing past level 20, too)

Anyways, as for the topic at hand, splatting is important but situationally so. For example, you know for a fact that three of your teammates are right next to somebody trying to ink up your base, so you don't have to worry about exploding them and you can focus on whatever the objective is. Maybe you can gain a lot more ground in the middle than they can gain in your base. If you are the only one around, then yeah, splat them up so they don't mess up your defence. Ranked is a bit different since the objectives pretty much demand that you kill everybody on sight, but THEORETICALLY if your opponents were complete idiots, you could win without splatting anybody, since splats don't equal score unlike regular shooters.

So, splats are a strategic element but not the central focus since they don't win you the game if you have a lot of them. Purely pacifist play might work for one team member who is the "clean up" person, who goes in after a firefight to ink up the territory, but a whole team can't do that, so you need to have at least a few hunters on your team.

SUMMARY: Splats are a part of a larger whole and not the central idea. Once play reaches the really high levels (especially in Turf War), that will probably be more apparent.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
I have seen a bit of this lately too. It's aggravating to see the rollers on your team going 2/8 while constantly teleporting to the center and getting splatted (the incompetent agro strategy). Again. Meanwhile me and my Squelcher are stuck inefficiently inking the backfield because nobody else will.
The good side is I've won many rounds like this. The other team has done the same but we win 45-35 via inked backfield/corners/etc.

That's the beauty of the game.

Having said that, I've also had more games lately where one side gets absolutely crushed 80-12 or something. Just too many people playing rollers or snipers.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I have felt like Turf Wars are more bloodly lately. I tend to play like w/e until the last 30 seconds anyway.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
The last 30 seconds can make or break the match so hard.

I like pushing forward with my team, however, this isn't always great because they block my few and then they get Splatted, and I follow Soon after with less time to prepare. My strategy is generally >Be where the team isn't unless there's nothing else to do and we have a chance to completely take over. If this means Splatting a bunch of people so they don't get us first, then that's what's going to happen. If we were meant to passively let the other team cover turf while we also focus on only covering turf, the Splatting mechanic would not have been included in the first place.

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
So true. If a Carbon Roller sneaks past you on Moray Towers during the last 45-30 seconds you're doomed. People get tunnel vision pushing forward at the end and fail to notice that the few who snuck by re-inked the entire map.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
QUOTE]
I always hate dominating a match the entire time only for the other team to make a comeback by wiping us all out simultaneously. It can be harsh haha.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
Yeah, that's happened to me a few times. It's like the moment I go Splat, things go to hell.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I especially hate when I get splatted at the last second and the other team wins by only a few points. That is one of the few times I do feel like I really screwed over my team haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom