• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

This game has turned into Call of Duty...

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
So you think with people levelling up and becoming pro they would focus more on getting turf right? Nope. They still want to hunt people down and kill them. It's gotten very hard to get points because of this. Everyone just wants to be a hero and get splatted. I mean c'mon. I know aggressive play helps to win, but try being more strategic.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Yeah, I noticed the change in Meta as well.
It is sad to see that barely anyone seems to play Turf Wars as it is intended.

Kills however turned out to be an effective strategy to win Turfs however.
Since killing and stopping them for several seconds, is better than just going for painting.
It's sad, but that's how it is.

Now if they were to make kills less effective and give people incentive to go for the objective, rather than kills, I can see Turf Wars getting back to the original concept.
I mean "you don't have to kill to win" was the very selling point of this game.
So Nintendo should do something to keep it that way.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, I noticed the change in Meta as well.
It is sad to see that barely anyone seems to play Turf Wars as it is intended.

Kills however turned out to be an effective strategy to win Turfs however.
Since killing and stopping them for several seconds, is better than just going for painting.
It's sad, but that's how it is.

Now if they were to make kills less effective and give people incentive to go for the objective, rather than kills, I can see Turf Wars getting back to the original concept.
I mean "you don't have to kill to win" was the very selling point of this game.
So Nintendo should do something to keep it that way.
The thing is that with the way the maps are designed, you Will find an enemy Inkling eventually, even if you're sitting back painting the base, so you'll have to fight them or run away (which means less turf for your team). The only true way to make Splats not matter as much would be to make the maps large enough to be able to actually stay away from the combat and paint to your heart's content

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
The thing is that with the way the maps are designed, you Will find an enemy Inkling eventually, even if you're sitting back painting the base, so you'll have to fight them or run away (which means less turf for your team). The only true way to make Splats not matter as much would be to make the maps large enough to be able to actually stay away from the combat and paint to your heart's content
It's just getting tough to score points when you just know you'll be jumped at any second. Hell. I tried to just derp around one time in turf painting smiley faces and....other MATURE things in new turf and on top of enemy inkstrikes. Couldn't even do that without getting ambushed and having my beautiful art smothered up in enemy ink lol

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Indeed.
Open maps, plenty of freedom and multiple choices of approach.
That is the best way to handle this.

Though the changed Urchin Underpass, makes me hope they will change this up eventually.

superhiero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
eRonin
I find people tend to get very focused on specific aspects of this game, to a fault. Often people will chase down an enemy halfway across the map and not bother inking more than the path they need to get to the enemy, which often leaves them in a pinch when they need an escape route deep in enemy territory. Other times they are in a little corner inking the last small section of untouched ground, and are completely oblivious to the greater state of the map, or worse, enemies closing in on them.

In any situation, the key for me is always staying mobile. Even when you're pressed in a corner, trying to fight the enemy head on is often not the best idea because having an ink-ground advantage means they have more mobility and can accommodate for more allies in a given area. In this case it's best to simply escape and find another large, uncontested area to start inking. This is a safe option because the ground you were on was likely to be forfeit anyway, and this way it forces the enemy to split up or abandon the original position, where your allies can then move in and retake the position. The game has comeback mechanics in the sense that when you are behind, you have far more to gain from inking than your opponents, whose shots become less and less efficient as they begin to run out of space to effectively shoot at, which importantly means they are likely not gaining special meter boosts.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
That's kind of what I've been talking about here and in my yt series (example
)

The kills-focused modes are comfortable for most gamers because it replicates games we already know how to play, whereas we write off turf war because we feel it's not similar enough to the COD killfest we want.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
You guys do realize that we ARE talking about Turf Wars, right?
The mode for fun, that is supposed to be NOT about killing?
According to Nintendo anyways...

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I haven't really paid attention, but maybe they could add in a ranked mode where the point is to splat others as much as you can? That way, people would probably stop that behavior in Turf Wars, at least when the mode is around for those who lack friends playing Splatoon.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I don't really mind this. However, if you obsess over 1 person for the whole match, and just pursue them, then that's a problem, but otherwise, I don't see much of a problem with it.
The problem is that it defeats the purpose, that Nintendo intended.
Plus, people who play just for fun and to paint, since they cannot aim well and lose in a direct firefight, get the short end of the stick.

Nintendo always has been about equality. Equal chances to win for everyone, regardless of skill.
Like it always has been present in games like Mario Kart.

In Regular Turf Wars, they should stick true to that mindset and do something to keep the equality.

DeeWee UNub

Full Squid
NNID
HOPE_Glimmer
Okay,I know it can be annoying playing Turf Wars against people who are just going for kills,but kills gives your team map control and allows your team to push up. So,I don't exactly see what the problem is,especially that you are playing a shooter game.....
Also,this game is nothing like Call of Duty. xD At the end of the day,we are all playing for fun and should be allowed to play the way we want.

Anatole

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Anatole-Ostara
Just because people are changing strategies it does'`nt mean turf became about splating. There are several good strategies for turf wars, one of them is to go straight for the middle ground to stop your opponents progress, another good one is to stay out of combat and go get turf. There`s a lot of turf games where everyone is so busy fighting for a single area that a smart player can go other way, avoid all combat and turn the game tide. Turf is not about splatting still, it`s important but not essencial. The only stage I think splatting is too important for turf is the mooray towers, if you go for the tower and set beacons on enemy grounds you easily win the match by not letting them pass anymore

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
The problem is that some maps, like Arowana Mall, have no alternate routes.
If all the maps were open and had sneak ways, allowing for a multitude of approaches, this wouldnt be much of a problem.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
If all the maps were open and had sneak ways, allowing for a multitude of approaches, this wouldnt be much of a problem.
Yes, That is true, however Arowana Mall has some alternate paths. Still, it is not fair to say this game is becoming Call of Duty because people are killing each other.
I do not like Arowana mall much for the same reason of lacking multiple alternate paths, but still, nothing that'll ruin the whole game for me. Sorry for the salt. :P

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Eh, it's just how the game works. The goal is to ink turf, and the entire map has turf, including the enemy side. You can't just stick to your side forever, you'll only get 50% of the map at best by doing that, so inevitably you breach the enemy's half of the map. When you do this (or maybe before, if the other team is aggressive), you'll run into enemies eventually, but that's just how the maps are, there's no guaranteed way to avoid enemies. So inevitably you'll end up in a situation where you have to fight to escape, either splatting the enemy, removing them from play briefly and allowing you to continue inking turf, being splatted, in which case the opposite is true, or you'll both splat each other, in which case both of you are briefly unable to aid your respective teams. You do have the option to run away, then come back and ink it up later, but that's not always an option (you'll get cornered eventually, you just have to accept that fact). Still, it's possible to Switzerland a whole match, running away from combat in favor of just inking everything, and still win, if your teammates handle the enemies, but someone has to do that.
Splatoon isn't a game where you don't have to kill to win, it's a game where killing is not the primary goal. Kills still matter, just not as much as doing the actual objective. And you can do both. In fact, in my experience spawncamping people during Splatfest, you have to complete the primary objective of inking turf to get to the spawn point and begin wrecking anyone who tries to escape the spawn point.
At least, that's what I think.

Yeah, that's kind of annoying. Maybe if they used Arowana's Splat Zones map for Turf War, it'd be a bit better. Or maybe I just really enjoy that version of Arowana. i dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom