• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

This game has turned into Call of Duty...

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Yes, That is true, however Arowana Mall has some alternate paths. Still, it is not fair to say this game is becoming Call of Duty because people are killing each other.
I do not like Arowana mall much for the same reason of lacking multiple alternate paths, but still, nothing that'll ruin the whole game for me. Sorry for the salt. :p
It wasn't me saying that, you know.
I am not the OP.

Arowana mall still forces you to go through the middle with no way around it.
So people with superior aim have an undeniable advantage here.

So yeah open maps with mutliple ways alone would ensure more chance-equality.
So that people with not-so-good aim have the option to go around and avoid battles they cannot win or even sneak up to them and get a stealth kill.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I am not the OP.

So that people with not-so-good aim have the option to go around and avoid battles they cannot win or even sneak up to them and get a stealth kill.
Oh, well sorry for taking it out on you, probably should've read who the original poster was. sry. :/ I feel bad now.

Sean

Inkling
NNID
Seanazure
Turf wars is a very casual mode, people are going to **** around in it more especially since you can join friends

Even then, kills are important in turf because you need to stop the other team from inking too. Probably more important than other modes as the less people = the more turf you'll cover

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
it's almost as though the most direct way of preventing the other team from winning in turf is to kill them

I mean even without the whole last 30 seconds thing, anyone who's alive on the other team can contribute to the objective for the other team

just because turf's objective can be completed with pacifism does not mean that pacifism is the best way to complete it lmao

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
You guys do realize that we ARE talking about Turf Wars, right?
The mode for fun, that is supposed to be NOT about killing?
According to Nintendo anyways...
Exactly. Ranked and turf are different. Go happy and utterly crush and destroy your enemies in ranked. Turf is the topic at hand here.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Why not just become better at splatting others and splat them first?

You'll get more wins if you can better defend yourself.
Oh I can definitely defend myself. I'm just talking about experiences when my teamates or the other team arr going after players just to splat them when they could be covering more ground.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Oh I can definitely defend myself. I'm just talking about experiences when my teamates or the other team arr going after players just to splat them when they could be covering more ground.
Well, your teammates splatting enemies sounds like a good thing. Splats cover your own paint and they remove enemies from the field, reducing the amount of paint the other team can lay down at a time.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
The thing is that with the way the maps are designed, you Will find an enemy Inkling eventually, even if you're sitting back painting the base, so you'll have to fight them or run away (which means less turf for your team). The only true way to make Splats not matter as much would be to make the maps large enough to be able to actually stay away from the combat and paint to your heart's content
The Beta versions of the maps used to be huge and open (their is a thread on here showing images of beta maps) and they seemed to change them to be smaller and have more cover for the finished game.
Yet Judd says to capture and defend chokepoints on the map to ensure victory. Killing isn't the objective, but I don't think I have gone through many turf war matches where I didn't splat someone. Sometimes you even have to go out of your way to avoid people. I have noticed that players are more kill hungry in TF lately, but there are many times where it seems like your team mates are focused on kills and get wiped out and you have little turf actually inked. I think a larger problem is when people over-extend or they don't know when to retreat. It's better to stay a live then have to wait to respawn and travel all the way back. (Sometimes it is even best to super jump back to spawn than to die and wait to respawn.)

#BA

Inkling
If one's teammates in solo queue are dying from over extending themselves and overestimating their ability, then that's a problem with solo queue and being matched with players low in level, not with the competitive player base.

Covering turf is something to do while on your way to a contested area, killing is a part of turf war, and its silly to treat it as though it isn't important to earning a victory.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Are you complaining about your teammates, the other team, or both?

Killing enemy squids is important in any mode, because it means less enemies that can spread ink. I mean, you're right, inking turf is important too, but so is killing?

If the enemies are going after you too much, avoid them, and if your team mates are tunnel-visioning on enemies then you should pick up their slack and cover turf while they're keeping the enemies busy. Or, if they're going after the enemies and dying, then maybe go in and help them, and then ink turf.

Kaze

Pro Squid
why not do both?

you focus on inking turf and when someone tries to approach you, you splat them & continue inking turf, simple as that.

I have played CoD and I can honestly say Splatoon is nowhere near to CoD, the shooter concept might be the same but that's it, also you don't need to hear people yell at you for being bad in Splatoon (muting would of course been a option, but some people never turn off the mic chat for some reason)

I hope my point of view was not stupid to you guys... :oops:

dapperlace

Pro Squid
I do a combination of both. I don't aggressively go after players, but if they're in my way, or near me, I will get rid of them whenever possible. Never know when they'll try to sneak up on me and ruin my special meter, or keep me from spreading ink for a period of time. It's especially fun if several of them come after me and I get them all, because then they lose out on time they could have been spreading turf. Yeah, it doesn't always pay off how I intend, but if I take at least one of them out (and it's a situation where I can't run away) then at least it'll be a little more even while I re-spawn.

I'll edit this since there are matches where I do specifically aim to Splat that are not ranked. If I'm in Blackbelly Skatepark or Camp Triggerfish with my Heavy Splattling gun especially, since the enemy can be cornered pretty hard to prevent them from spreading ink, while my teammates take over the map. That being said, I do still try to get the points in, especially if things aren't going in our favor.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
@Smashling79 Alright look, Turf Wars is not a game mode that is "not about killing," it's an objective mode. Like any objective mode in a shooter, killing is still a big part of the game, but the objective influences where, when, how, and why those kills take place. In the case of turf wars, the area controlled by ink is that influence.

Splatoon is young but it's starting to mature, just a little. Time is passing and people are getting better at the game, and you need to get better too. This means that you can't just do whatever you please and get away with it, you have to earn your playstyle. Are you going to position yourself well to be able to react to the opponent and defend your inked territory? Are you going to safely spread ink into the opponent's territory by going on offense without getting yourself killed? How are you going to do those things while incorporating YOUR playstyle, how do you make what you like to do safe and not risky? The bottom line is, you have to play smart.

You can't ignore combat, it's part of the game. You can, however, deal with enemies without getting yourself killed. It's up to you to get better at the game or be content with not improving and playing at a disadvantage.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
And I thought I wasn't the only one who had faced a opponet that only focused on getting the most kills.

So I had a strange match at the Kelp Dome where I've faced a Tentatek Splattershot user, I know how good that this weapon can be, it's good at offense, defense, and ink coverage.

So I encountered him and got splatted myself, but the thing is that he wasn't even firing his weapon to cover turf... Wut?

So I followed him up on the grating walkway and he still didn't fire his weapon, the ground below him wasn't even covered in his team's own ink, he even walked by the middle and didn't even bother to cover that, I was confused about this.

After a few turf covered and opponets splatted later I saw him again and this is the only time I saw him using the Inkzooka once, I snuck up on him and splatted him myself.

When the match is done, my team won, and seeing what that Tentatek Splattershot user's score was, he scored the lowest amount of turf on his team but got the most splats at 9-3.

So I was just wondering on what was happening during that match, it was just weird.
That's definitely a strange one. I usually only see that with chargers, who tend to focus on controlling areas. Some are crazy good at covering turf when they know what they're doing, though.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Citation needed
I am not the OP.

Why shouldn't the person with superior aim be rewarded? I like bring rewarded when I use the blaster personally. The view that everyone should have an equal chance of winning is not liked by much as far as I'm aware. All it does is punish skilled players, which is why I dislike Mario Kart's rubberbanding. It's like SJWs, sort of, how they want equality and try to force people to disregard weights while choosing a partner. Hard work should be rewarded, and being chosen is should be earned, not handed. But that's just what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom