This game needs a longer single player mode, and 4 player splitscreen local multiplayer

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
Honestly, there's tons of single player games on the Wii U. Besides, Smash's and Mario Kart 8's single player is a joke compared to Splatoon's which is sad. I'm happy there even was a single player that was worth playing. And there's a good amount of offline multiplayer games as well.

This is.... the 3rd? Wii U online multiplayer game, and the other two being smash and mario kart. Cut Splatoon some slack

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
Honestly, there's tons of single player games on the Wii U. Besides, Smash's and Mario Kart 8's single player is a joke compared to Splatoon's which is sad. I'm happy there even was a single player that was worth playing. And there's a good amount of offline multiplayer games as well.

This is.... the 3rd? Wii U online multiplayer game, and the other two being smash and mario kart. Cut Splatoon some slack
I dont disagree with this statement.. But the things i'm suggesting arent that out there. This isnt nintendos first rodeo. And my complaint is also more out of disappointment cause i really WANT to play this game, but i dont care to play online at all. I may play once or twice, but it just isnt that fun to me.

And trust me.. i have my fair share of complaints on mario kart and smash bros. They are not anywhere close to being in the clear lol.

Also.. my other question is.. why is it only thr 3rd wiiu multiplayer game? Think about that for a second. The wiiu has been around for years already, and it has nothing. By this time in its life the n64 was overflowing with all kinds of games, including some of the best shooters of all time. I duno whats been going on with nintendo the past little while. they just need to get back on the ball already cause theyre really falling behind. I love their creativity and i love their general style, and all their franchises, but theyve been very disappointing as of late. They're under performing greatly - and im comparing to themselves in the past, not to other developers. I dont even care about the other big guys (sony/microsoft) anyway to be honest lol.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
No one would be complaining cause they dont HAVE to play that way. Options Options Options OPTIONSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

And what is gimmicky about those controls? They would be the BEST alternative period. Oh and i can go another step forward.. you dont wana play with the wiimote? You can use the pro controler.. BWWWAAAAAAAAA more options?? HOLY CRAP! ... But no, the game sucks now cause you're giving us all these options! I dont wana play this game any more with all these options! RabbleRabbleRabble.

Excuse my sarcasm, but i have trouble dealing with things when people come up with excuses for games' shortcomings.
Furthermore, I DID mention the BILLIONTH option of everyone bringing their own gamepad to one place if they really wana play splitscreen with their gamepad.

About the map - that is arguable. Every game can benefit from a detailed map. In a perfect world every game would have a detailed map for everyone all the time. But this isnt a perfect world... though... again - want a detailed map? Bring your gamepad!

As i mentioned about ink strikes.. remove them completely if they require a map so badly (or bring a gamepad to play with ink strikes). Although, i think it could work fine without the gamepad. You can jump in a beakon and then your screen (only your screen) can have a map pop up on it and you can use the wiimote to point and click what part of the map you wana hit or whatever. Then when you click it switches back to the normal screen. And thennnn, give us the.. uh oh theres that word again.. OPTION of turning (modified) ink strikes ON or OFF.

Heres ANOTHER option. If you or the developers don't think that keeping the same game modes would work in splitscreen multiplayer, how about create different game modes? How about an every man for himself game mode where you simply have to paint the most ground by the time the clock gets to 0? How about 2 on 2? How about "who can cover X amount of land first"? How about a deathmatch/team deathmatch? How about first to X amount of kills? How about a sort of tag game with a paint spin to it? How about a racing mode where you can race in paint and then shoot your paint into the opponents paint screwing them over? How about your team vs the cpu? I just came up with those all right now. A game developer can sit down and think of great game modes that would be different from the MAIN game, but still would be fun to play in the living room. The main goals would be slightly different from what you would be playing online, but it would still be a lot of fun. And then you can also have the OPTION of playing normal turf wars and other modes, with whatever modifications are needed. Unless everyone brings a gamepad - then everyone can play the game the way its "meant to be played" locally.

I definitely dont think making those adjustments would water down the gameplay that much (or at all), and also adding those features would be minimal work compared to the other work put into the game, so i dont think "resources" are an issue. As a game company you should be ALWAYS giving your customers as many different avenues to play and have fun as possible. My favourite shooter games are the ones that have tones of game modes to play. When you get bored of one, theres always another to try out. And who says people would only mess with local multiplayer for a week? A large number of people would ONLY play local multiplayer and/or local X online multiplayer. Thats all I would do, and I'm pretty sure im not the only one on the planet that would prefer that.

And lastly, i dont think you argued against this, but single player absolutely needs more to it. It looks like a lota fun, but im not gona pay 70 bucks or whatever for 4 hours of gameplay.
And people want to play local multiplayer without gimmick controls, but that's impossible. Pro still won't work right because it lacks a touch screen.

Wii U only supports two Gamepads, and it uses so much horsepower that it hasn't been implemented in a game yet. If it can we're going to hear about it soon.

Retooling specials and adding new modes and campaign levels directly takes time and money that could be spent in a way Splatoon's primary audience would appreciate more. I think it would be a waste. I want more guns, maps, and online modes before any of that.

A good example of "extra" modes hurting a game is Luigi's Mansion 2. The multiplayer was a glitchy, laggy mess that died in a month. The level design is completely devoid of puzzles, and the enemies are exclusively recolors. General consensus is that a single level would of been better then that garbage.

The game simply isn't for you. Don't bog down everybody else's experience with useless fluff.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
And people want to play local multiplayer without gimmick controls, but that's impossible. Pro still won't work right because it lacks a touch screen.
It would work fine.. and i think my method is awesome, i duno why it hasnt been implemented yet (press a button to stop reading the movement of the wiimote).

And if theres NO local multiplayer now, ANY local multiplayer will be an improvement. Again, you have the choice to play it or not. Me and my friends will play, while others wont.

Finally, you can get around the touch pad.. plus - you know thats a gimmic too right? lol

Last edited:

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
I dont disagree with this statement.. But the things i'm suggesting arent that out there. This isnt nintendos first rodeo. And my complaint is also more out of disappointment cause i really WANT to play this game, but i dont care to play online at all. I may play once or twice, but it just isnt that fun to me.

And trust me.. i have my fair share of complaints on mario kart and smash bros. They are not anywhere close to being in the clear lol.

Also.. my other question is.. why is it only thr 3rd wiiu multiplayer game? Think about that for a second. The wiiu has been around for years already, and it has nothing. By this time in its life the n64 was overflowing with all kinds of games, including some of the best shooters of all time. I duno whats been going on with nintendo the past little while. they just need to get back on the ball already cause theyre really falling behind. I love their creativity and i love their general style, and all their franchises, but theyve been very disappointing. They're under performing greatly - and im comparing to themselves in the past, not to other developers. I dont even care about the other big guys (sony/microsoft) anyway to be honest lol.
I'd rather have a better online experience for a game online focused, since singleplayer on wii u is pretty much everywhere. Ye they could make it longer, but what they have isn't too bad. I actually liked the single player. Plus some people complained that the subspace story mode in brawl was too long and boring so ye... I could see splatoon having the same fate

And that's because the Gobi desert is more moist than the Wii U, we get a game every 6 months

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
I'd rather have a better online experience for a game online focused, since singleplayer on wii u is pretty much everywhere. Ye they could make it longer, but what they have isn't too bad. I actually liked the single player. Plus some people complained that the subspace story mode in brawl was too long and boring so ye... I could see splatoon having the same fate

And that's because the Gobi desert is more moist than the Wii U, we get a game every 6 months
Huh, I dont get the last thing you said, lol.

I can kinda understand wanting an online focus, but its not for everyone. And theres only so much tweaking they can do for the online. Future DLC should give us more options for more things.

Based on the convos here though, i highly doubt its ever gona happen, cause i know how nintendo things these days, and they never take the extra steps to give players more options.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
Huh, I dont get the last thing you said, lol.

I can kinda understand wanting an online focus, but its not for everyone. And theres only so much tweaking they can do for the online. Future DLC should give us more options for more things.

Based on the convos here though, i highly doubt its ever gona happen, cause i know how nintendo things these days, and they never take the extra steps to give players more options.
It was a metaphore for how little games the wii u has lol

This game isn't for everyone, it's for those who want to play online, and well, they can do a lot more stuff for the online. I guess there might be more single player in Splatoon 2 but otherwise I don't see it happening, unless they give a mountain of amiibo support

ShreqFu

Inkling
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
Splatoon suffers a mild case of Battlefield syndrome, in that the online play is its saving grace. I said "mild" because its campaign is actually entertaining unlike Battlefield's, which has always been horrible.

A more robust campaign definitely could've made the whole package better. At the very least, they could've added some post-game time trial.

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
It was a metaphore for how little games the wii u has lol

This game isn't for everyone, it's for those who want to play online, and well, they can do a lot more stuff for the online. I guess there might be more single player in Splatoon 2 but otherwise I don't see it happening, unless they give a mountain of amiibo support
O ok lol. But ya that is a huge issue. We need more damn games! (on a side note im so happy about platonic, cause they have the same type of creativity as nintendo, but they just always make sure to do everything possible in their games. I'm so excited to see what they do after yooka laylee. Hopefully it makes up for the lack of wiiu games, and hopefully any games they make for wiiu make great use of the gamepad and wiimote - in a non gimicky way).

Anyway back to the topic, this game isn't for everyone BECAUSE of the limitations placed onto it by the developers. It is suchhhh a fun game, and it could easily be expanded in so many ways to make it infinitely fun for everyone in every form of gameplay. And the single player mode is super fun from what I've heard. More levels of something fun isn't a bad thing. Subspace in brawl was bad cause it was badly executed all around. If done properly that coulda been a lot of fun too!

But this is what I don't get about nintendo all the damn time. They wana make games that everyone can play and enjoy, but then they place a million limitations on their games! All the time!!! It's absolutely insane.

Hopefully the sequel (or dlc) will have more stuff to have fun with.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
4 player splitscreen local multiplayer running at 5fps would have been glorious!

Also the single player campaing was amazing, isn't it amazing that length doesn't equal quality?

IrisZ

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
A longer campaign would be nice, but this game is primarily online based. Sort of like any online MMORPGs lol
Campaign got me hella ready for online though. It helped me practice GamePad movements and whatnot

4 player split screen local multi-player would be fantastic as well, but Hyrule Warriors could barely handle two player split screen lol. Imagine all four players getting splattered on constantly - the poor WiiU probably couldn't handle it too well

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
4 player splitscreen local multiplayer running at 5fps would have been glorious!

Also the single player campaing was amazing, isn't it amazing that length doesn't equal quality?
Lol what are you basing 5 fps on? The game would 10 0percent run fine with split screen. If marko kart can do it so can splatoon. Maybe online splitscreen would be arguable. Maybe.

And quality is good, but sorry.. 4 hours? No. They can make a full game good too if they put the work into it. It would mean more levels and more challenges. Lots of games are good quality and are 20 hours long. Quit being nintendo groupies guys. Have some standards.

And don't get me wrong like I've stated, I love nintendo n always will. But I'll also be a critic. I'm not gona say everything is great yaaa!! Is more people were pissed, or even went as far as not buying nintendo stuff, they may start thinking about a new and better business plan. Anyway. Off topic.

Splatoon is lots of fun, but im not buying it cause of its limitations, which is a shame.

The end

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I agree with the split-screen part, but I think the singleplayer is long enough already.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
Ok, 4 player splitscreen isn't possible without severely downgrading the graphical quality of the game. In Nintendo's eyes for a new IP this is a no no.

Severely.

If they could maybe make it so that 1v1 ran at a steady 60 frames per second, then there aren't too many reasons to NOT make the game local online. But in the games current state, which drops below 60, Nintendo may feel its going to cause issues having a lower framerate vs several higher framerates if that makes sense.

Also, I didn't accept 4 hour campaigns anywhere else. So I won't here.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
Splitscreen Splatoon is not a good idea. I already have difficulty seeing what I'm doing in Mario Kart splitscreen racing. How will it be any better in a shooting game that requires a larger visual range? Plus, splitscreen drops the frame rate severely, probably to 30 fps. 60 fps is now crucial for shooting games in order to keep things tight and upright.

More options also cause a disruption in CPU processing and hardware and also undercut the overall quality of the game. That's the exact same reason why Smash didn't have a story mode; it wanted to use that space to implement more unique modes.

I have difficulty playing with Wii Remote controls for Smash; what's going to be different for Splatoon? The D-Pad can be used to move, but that'd be uncomfortable, and there's no second analog stick to control the camera, and motion controls wouldn't work for camera controlling. Even if we use motion controls, 1 and 2 will be taken for turning into squid and shooting. But we also have to make buttons for subweapons, special weapons, recallibrating controller, pausing, etc.

A longer single player campaign simply isn't necessary as of now. It's meant to be a multiplayer online game. It originally wasn't even going to be included. The campaign is really just for practice and learning moves. Future DLC may be possible, but it's really focused on the online multiplayer.

You overestimate the limitations of the games and underestimate the impact adding other options can be. You can't just throw a bunch of stuff that will increase content by 1.5x and not expect a ton of lag and malfunctions. That's not how life works. Every single 2-player online match I've played has severe lag in it. It just won't work.

This is my opinion on your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom