Kai.E

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8062-1940-0630
I'm thinking it
You're thinking it
Literaly everyone is thinking it
But nobody seems to talk up about it

We need more communication in splatoon, and just saying this way won't help anymore.

There are multiple control pad buttons, but dear sweet baby Judd why haven't they been used for anything? That's two more commands that we really need!

But why stop there? There is another button that isn't used, so why not incorporate the left bumper? Press that bad boy and we could have 4 more commands, 6 in total! But that might be a bit much.

But still, I want to be able to tell my team how I'm really thinking. "Push Forward!" or "Fall Back!" could be useful. Mabey an "OK!" to reassure your team that your on the way. This might be pushing it but what about "It's Safe!" for friends super jumping In? There could be quite a bit that could be useful

Sorry I've been sitting on this idea for a while and I needed to get it out.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Yeah in the minigame thing for that one metroid 3ds game (Ball Blast or smth idk) you could set each of the buttons on your d-pad to one of a wide variety of messages to display to your teammates, and I'm surprised that they haven't done it for this as well.

Cephalobro

I think there needs to be specific communication options depending on the mode you're playing. Salmon Run does this beautifully replacing "This Way!" to "Help!", allowing you to notify teammates that you were splatted and needs to be revived. In Rainmaker for example, an option to say "Follow Me!" will make the mode a lot more enjoyable in my opinion, "This Way!" seems way too vague for following a teammate on a specific route, which is why so many don't get the idea.

Kai.E

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8062-1940-0630
I think there needs to be specific communication options depending on the mode you're playing. Salmon Run does this beautifully replacing "This Way!" to "Help!", allowing you to notify teammates that you were splatted and needs to be revived. In Rainmaker for example, an option to say "Follow Me!" will make the mode a lot more enjoyable in my opinion, "This Way!" seems way too vague for following a teammate on a specific route, which is why so many don't get the idea.
At least they changed it from "C'mon" which was the most vague thing they could have made it. Hopefully they'll figure something out by the time Splatoon 3 comes around.

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
For me, if I need my teammates' attention for something major, I end up spamming "This Way!" multiple times.

Also while I'm here, It'd be cool to be able to customize what messages pressing up and down on the D-Pad would say other than "This Way!" and "Booyah!".

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
You're saying it like it worked in the first place.

"This way" can mean way too many things to count.
It could mean "Hey follow me"
"Let's group up here"
"The Objective is over here"
"There's some enemies over here"
"Pass a clam to me"
"Help me push the rainmaker"
"I'll create a path"

It's too many things to count, and most players don't have half the situational awareness to make use of half of those.

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
You're saying it like it worked in the first place.

"This way" can mean way too many things to count.
It could mean "Hey follow me"
"Let's group up here"
"The Objective is over here"
"There's some enemies over here"
"Pass a clam to me"
"Help me push the rainmaker"
"I'll create a path"

It's too many things to count, and most players don't have half the situational awareness to make use of half of those.
Well for me it kind of worked? But yeah I can agree that it isn't specific enough.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Well for me it kind of worked? But yeah I can agree that it isn't specific enough.
It works sometimes, but it's not 100% clear all the time.

It doesn't matter too much for competitive play anyway, since 99% of the community hops on discord whenever they want to voice chat during their games. But for solo, yeah it can be infuriating. Since you'll have people trying to tell you "hey pass me a clam" spamming "This Way", but then get ignored because they're just spamming "This Way" and it's annoying.

Kai.E

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8062-1940-0630
It works sometimes, but it's not 100% clear all the time.

It doesn't matter too much for competitive play anyway, since 99% of the community hops on discord whenever they want to voice chat during their games. But for solo, yeah it can be infuriating. Since you'll have people trying to tell you "hey pass me a clam" spamming "This Way", but then get ignored because they're just spamming "This Way" and it's annoying.
One of the biggest problems for people at the moment is just that they can't coordinate what they are trying to do to their teem in solo queue. It's nearly impossible to play clam blitz when you get to a high enough level because everyone seems to have a strategy that they want to employ, (Clam Jump, Baller Break push, Clam Volley, Ex.) but to do so involves multiple people or even the entire team. but like you said, even when you don't have a strategy it's hard just to get someone to pass clams or a power clam. and it's not like these issues are only something coming up now, people have wanted better communication since the first game even launched

MasterMarine

Inkling
NNID
MasterMarine
Switch Friend Code
SW-4811-2485-9604
I wish they added voice communication, but I understand that they hadn't because of the ... "general" dialogue of little kids online. Nevertheless, I agree with you.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I think "Paint!" and "Push!" would be two good contenders, however having a game mode specific command would be nice too. There's still 2 buttons left on the d-pad and it'd sweet if they used them for at least something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom