Top 3 Essential Abilities?

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
Here's what I think:
Ninja Jump, Ninja Swim, and Cold Blooded.(I was going to say tenacity but honestly im questioning it right now after using the helmet. All it did was blink and I didn't see the gauge rise.)

What do you think? Do these abilities really make that much of a difference? What do you think are the best abilities?

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
From my own experience I'd say Recon is hella useful.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Bomb sniffer is a lot more useful than what people think, cause you will never bother with Inkmines anymore, plus you will be able to detect bombs almost the instant they are thrown with this, even if you're not facing the right way.
Ninja Squid allows you to move undetected in your own ink, almost too perfect to miss up.
Quick Respawn is essential as if you're getting killed too much you will get back much faster every time you stack one.
I don't see just 3 abilities alone being essential or best, all abilities are situational and will be useful depending on how you want to use them.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
I stated 3 since you have a limit of 3 main abilities per gear.

Tentacruel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kevin0217
I'd say number 1 most important is definitly Ninja Squid. I dont know how many times I've been being chased by a Kraken, and dipped down a corridor while they can't see you; it's incredibly important.
Next, I would put Haunt. I die many times, and I think its very nice for your team to be able to see your killer. When I'm on a team with somebody who has this and they die, I can immediately go avenge them.
Finally, Quick Respawn is also very important if you die alot. You can get back to your spawn faster then before, thus being able to have more time to ink.

InfiltrationFox

Inkling
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Comeback yet. I would say it's probably the best exclusive headgear skill since it boosts Ink Recovery, Run Speed, Swim Speed, Quick Super Jump and Ink Saver (main and sub) for a whole 20 seconds. The boosts aren't weak either. All of the buffs are at or above the power of main abilities. When it's combined with Haunt it makes a great revenge set, too. Not to mention the Paintball Mask looks so snazzy.

(Source: http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Ability)

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
Here's what I think:
Ninja Jump, Ninja Swim, and Cold Blooded.(I was going to say tenacity but honestly im questioning it right now after using the helmet. All it did was blink and I didn't see the gauge rise.)

What do you think? Do these abilities really make that much of a difference? What do you think are the best abilities?
Tenacity is much more noticeable when its say 3 to 1 rather than 4 to 3

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Wow I'm surprised nobody even mentioned Ink resistance Up ; that pretty much a must have option for every build and it beat everything you can have in your feet.

As for top 2 and 3: I would take Ninja squid and Cold blooded ; but they share the same body slot so I'm just gonna take Cold-blooded for my top 2 ; my top 3 is for the headgear... Guess I'll take ink recovery up for that as it one of my most used boost for my head slot.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
In my opinion, the 3 that I would go with in the best case scenario would be Ninja Squid, Bomb Sniffer and Recon. It really depends on your playstyle in my opinion. If you like to be defensive and clean up your territory, then you should go with Cold Blooded. If you think you're more oriented in the final push ideal, then choose Last-Ditch Effort. There's a lot of abilities and they can all be used for different things.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
A week ago I would've said ink resistance up for the feet, but I've recently put on stealth jump shoes and omg is it useful. Along with that I have ink saver main(hat) and ninja squid. I'm trying to perfect all of these to have 3 of the same mini sub so that I'll technically have 6 main abilities on at once. No luck on any of them yet though.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I would say Opening Gambit, Ink Saver(main), and Ink Recovery. Opening Gambit is particularly useful if you use the Inkbrush and you're rushing to the Splat zone.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Ink Resistance has saved my hide more times than I can count, but it wouldn't be useful to someone who hangs out on the sidelines and gets assists.

It's hard to nab an ESSENTIAL perk, since it all boils down to the roll you play and your personal style.
Recon > Stealth Jump tho

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I stated 3 since you have a limit of 3 main abilities per gear.
Like i said all gears are situational depending on how you want them to be used, rollers, chargers and splatters alike.

Ink Resistance has saved my hide more times than I can count, but it wouldn't be useful to someone who hangs out on the sidelines and gets assists.

It's hard to nab an ESSENTIAL perk, since it all boils down to the roll you play and your personal style.
Recon > Stealth Jump tho
Prime example right here, i sometimes switch over to Ink Resistance when i feel like i'm getting overwhelmed by people splatting around me, so i can't escape, or that i'm constantly are firing upon enemies while walking over enemy ink all the time.

So i love the fact that all abilities practically have uses whenever needed.

all i can do is to state a positive use of something, someone else can state a negative position for it as well, all i do is switch to another gear ability and state something positive about that as well.

I really can't see any top 3 or bottom 3 abilities, but i can see the 3 most used abilities along with the 3 least used abilities.

Figy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Hummana
Well tenacity works when you're losing or have uneven number of teammates. I think it's really useful in ranked(not turf war). In turf war i feel like it depends on what weapon you use and how you play, makes certain abilities better or worse.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Comeback yet. I would say it's probably the best exclusive headgear skill since it boosts Ink Recovery, Run Speed, Swim Speed, Quick Super Jump and Ink Saver (main and sub) for a whole 20 seconds. The boosts aren't weak either. All of the buffs are at or above the power of main abilities. When it's combined with Haunt it makes a great revenge set, too. Not to mention the Paintball Mask looks so snazzy.

(Source: http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Ability)
You know what? I think I might want to use Comeback now. What gear is it on?

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Ink resistance is essential for anyone that wants to head to the enemy base.
Ninja Squid has so main uses that literally anyone should have it. There is little reason not to, and it will save your hide more than any defense up will.
Pending on mode, Comeback or Opening Gambit. being able to Rushdown in Ranked splat zones is key to win streaks, but in Turf wars it's virtually worthless. On the other hand, Comebacks don't always happen in Ranked Splat Zones and yet it's always a case that the other team has to worry about in turf wars.

Other essentials (Charger time!)
Swim up, Chargers need to run away, charge ahead, and overall just not get hit, Squid form makes for the optimal setting.
Ink Saver (main), nearly every item in Splatoon should have at least one, being able to shoot a little more is always helpful to yourself, your team, and your gun!
Inkling Run Just as Swimming is important, so too is running as an inkling. Chargers may want to focus more on that ability because a full charge walk is so dang slow.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
ink res
cold blooded

ninja jump is awful because you shouldn't be sjing into enemy territory, and ninja squid is ok but falls a little short of cold blooded. the helm skills are decent but I feel like they're weaker than a constant bonus throughout the game like special up. especially skills like comeback that require you to die and only work for a short time after you do.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Ink Resistance
Cold Blooded/Swim Speed up
Special Charge up

Comeback would be good if you didn't have to die to use it. The point of Zones is kinda to not die. It also sucks on chargers. The headgear is pretty much a toss up, but having a constant effect throughout the game is pretty important as this guy ^ said. I personally don't use Cold Blooded that much at this point, but I probably will spam it once ranked teams comes out. I don't think ninja squid is that good because half the time people predict where you will go anyway, and also you can run from the Kraken fine without it lol. I might do some more experimenting with it though.

Erico9001

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Erico9001
It depends on what weapon you are using, and the other abilities you are using.

See, for an offensive roller, ink resistance up is great. If a roller can't move, he's dead. However, for a defensive roller, stealth jump is more useful, since it allows you to remain at key areas in order to protect them. Stealth jump with beacon sub-weapons is especially useful. However, an offensive roller might also want stealth jump if he is using a comeback ability, so he has more time to use his boosted abilities. In that case, Recon might work to replace stealth jump (which cannot be used at the same time as ink resistance), because you can then see if it is safe to jump, so there is less need for the stealth. You cannot have both recon and ninja squid, though (ninja squid is especially useful for rollers).

It's a tough decision. Place thought into your tendencies when playing Splatoon, and you should be able to figure out what gear optimizes that playstyle. In games like this, I tend to favor a more defensive weapon that has offensive capabilities if used with well-thought tactics. That's why I like the roller. I knew I would like the roller ever since the testfire. Once you pick your weapon, then you select the abilities that are good for it, further considering your playstyle.

Most of the greats of the abilities have been mentioned already. Tenacity has not been brought up, but is also useful. If an ally dies, your special weapon gauge starts to automatically fill up without you inking any turf. If you like to use your special weapon a lot, this is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom