• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tournament Game mode?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I believe a tournament mode has been confirmed. :) [Link]
well it depends if the website that made the article knew it or just worded it in that way? I mean it would make sense to make at least online mode the giant tower in the hub, since the major aspect of it is the online multiplayer.
Perhaps if the website was right, then tourney mode will be in there along with ranked battles, non-ranked, and private rooms

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I think everyone would be up for a tournament mode!
As for spectating, what if you connect to the match and then use Wii u gamepad as your camera controller, touching the places on the map where action is going on to get bird's eye viewpoint, then use the same camera controls you use ingame to change your perspective!
I feel this is something we as a community can push for via Miiverse and twitter and have it implemented in a future patch.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Honestly I think some kind of spectating a must for this game. Especially if a tournament mode is added. I think it'd be pretty cool. I'm totally up for a tournament mode being added anyway, whether it'll be like MK8's tournaments or not, it'd still be cool.

I think everyone would be up for a tournament mode!
As for spectating, what if you connect to the match and then use Wii u gamepad as your camera controller, touching the places on the map where action is going on to get bird's eye viewpoint, then use the same camera controls you use ingame to change your perspective!
I feel this is something we as a community can push for via Miiverse and twitter and have it implemented in a future patch.
I like your ideas here. It'd be neat if you could spectate matches that your friends are currently in as well. If there's a delay between what you see and what's actually taking place in real time, that's obviously better, but I'm not sure if Nintendo will realise they should do that. Having plenty of camera options is necessary if there's any kind of spectating. I don't want to just view the game from the view of the players. That's just not as fun.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I could see a feature like MK8 tournaments or Smash bros standard tournament being added. I don't know how useful the latter would be, but the former would be cool.

Then again, I guess the question would be is how would it be set up, but hopefully Nintendo could figure it out.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Tournament mode would be a really cool feature to see, there is just one problem i feel like could happen with this:

Since Splatoon is a game that revolves around team play, you would (most likely) have to enter a tournament with a team of 4 which could be problematic. If some of your teammates couldn't play on that date or time, you would have to then go 3,2,or 1v4 which could be a bit awkward.

I'm not sure if the Smash tournament mode will be supporting doubles either so I fell like Nintendo may be thinking this.

But hey, hopefully Nintendo will find a way around this ;)

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Tournament mode would be a really cool feature to see, there is just one problem i feel like could happen with this:

Since Splatoon is a game that revolves around team play, you would (most likely) have to enter a tournament with a team of 4 which could be problematic. If some of your teammates couldn't play on that date or time, you would have to then go 3,2,or 1v4 which could be a bit awkward.
i'm pretty sure anyone who takes splatoon seriously enough to form a competitive team isn't going to flake last second

besides, this isn't exactly a problem unique to splatoon. in pretty much every team focused competitive game teams have backup players for worst case scenarios, like someone getting sick or their computer shattering into pieces, or a stampede of rhinos runs a player over

a workaround isn't really needed for a tournament mode

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
i'm pretty sure anyone who takes splatoon seriously enough to form a competitive team isn't going to flake last second

besides, this isn't exactly a problem unique to splatoon. in pretty much every team focused competitive game teams have backup players for worst case scenarios, like someone getting sick or their computer shattering into pieces, or a stampede of rhinos runs a player over

a workaround isn't really needed for a tournament mode
Well i mean for a more general type of in game tournament mode, like the one in Mario Kart 8. Tournaments on the site however will most likely be taken seriously.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Well i mean for a more general type of in game tournament mode, like the one in Mario Kart 8. Tournaments on the site however will most likely be taken seriously.
i think for both offline and online tournaments players are going to be serious about arriving, i mean if someone's being really wishy washy and not showing up on time or at all the team captain could always give them the boot

tf2 highlander is 9v9 and a huge pain to set up locally and especially online, but it doesn't have this issue, so i don't think splatoon will with a much more manageable size of 4v4

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Nintendo are embracing tournament modes a little bit more in recent time so fingers crossed

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Pretty sure this isn't happening for Splatoon. Hell, it hasn't even happened for Smash 4, despite the fact it was promised already.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
It likely isn't happening in Splatoon.

All I'm hoping for is some sort of spectate option so we can stream online tournaments without some crazy complicated setup. And even that is pretty unlikely

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
It likely isn't happening in Splatoon.

All I'm hoping for is some sort of spectate option so we can stream online tournaments without some crazy complicated setup. And even that is pretty unlikely
I would kill just to have a spectator function in Splatoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom