Trying to do Nintendo's job with kits for them...

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
Hey guys!

Recently I had a pretty weird idea/challenge I wanted to give myself. Everyone and their mother seems to have several complaints about Nintendo's kit design in this game and I honestly don't even blame them. For how slow we're getting kits and how many people think we're not getting third kits, they could be doing a lot better given how many weapons will have waited a year or longer to get something. I do think people are A LITTLE harsh, but at the same time a lot of the complaints are very justified.

Just for fun I decided to see how I would be able to do if I were the one giving these weapons their kits. As a limitation though, there has to be the exact same amount of appearances for each sub or special as there are in the base game. I apparently miscounted something so I had one extra "free spot" where I could choose one sub and one special to give out an extra time.

I'm going to say immediately that I don't think it's fair to compare what I end up putting out to what Nintendo has given us since I'm sure they have a lot of design philosophies and constraints that they need to follow that I don't. I talk directly to people in this community more than I'd imagine any Nintendo employees do so I'm going to have a much more specific understanding of what people do and don't want from weapon kits. I'm not especially active here and the number of people I talk to is limited but that's way more than I'd imagine Nintendo can say.

Also, uhh...don't go into this expecting your weapon to have some perfect or even really good kit. I did try my best but I don't main every weapon and I did have to give out ten Splash Walls and Sprinklers to different weapons. You can only do so well with that...
.52 Gal - Splash Wall | Killer Wail 5.1
.52 Gal Deco - Point Sensor | Ultra Stamp

.96 Gal - Sprinkler | Big Bubbler
.96 Gal Deco - Splash Wall | Kraken Royale

Aerospray MG - Squid Beakon | Wave Breaker
Aerospray RG - Splat Bomb | Super Chump

H-3 Nozzlenose - Point Sensor | Splattercolor Screen
H-3 Nozzlenose D - Splash Wall | Crab Tank

Jet Squelcher - Toxic Mist | Ink Vac
Custom Jet Squelcher - Angle Shooter | Ink Storm

L-3 Nozzlenose - Fizzy Bomb | Triple Splashdown
L-3 Nozzlenose D - Burst Bomb | Inkjet

N-ZAP '85 - Sprinkler | Tacticooler
N-ZAP '89 - Autobomb | Splattercolor Screen

Splash-o-matic - Torpedo | Zipcaster
Neo Splash-o-matic - Suction Bomb | Ultra Stamp

Splattershot - Suction Bomb | Trizooka
Tentatek Splattershot - Splat Bomb | Triple Inkstrike

Splattershot Jr. - Splat Bomb | Big Bubbler
Custom Splattershot Jr. - Angle Shooter | Ink Vac

Splattershot Nova - Burst Bomb | Killer Wail 5.1
Annaki Splattershot Nova - Squid Beakon | Tacticooler

Splattershot Pro - Splash Wall | Inkjet
Forge Splattershot Pro - Suction Bomb | Booyah Bomb

Sploosh-o-matic - Fizzy Bomb | Super Chump
Neo Sploosh-o-matic - Ink Mine | Reefslider

Squeezer - Autobomb | Zipcaster
Foil Squeezer - Toxic Mist | Tenta Missiles

The big thing I wanted to do with Shooters was to make every special show up at least once here. If I'm not mistaken I think I got everything. The one unfortunate part of this was Tenta Missiles where I know most of the community never wants to see this special on a Shooter ever again so I tried my best to make some kind of compromise by giving it to the Squeezer. It's the only Shooter that really doesn't paint all that well but at the same time it's really hard to use, which kind of goes at odds with the whole reason I wanted to put every special here. This class is supposed to be an intro to the game and Squeezer has by far the lowest skill floor of any weapon here. It's easy to have a REALLY bad Squeezer.

The way I did this was by throwing out all of the weapons on a spreadsheet and trying to give out the subs and specials I thought would be the hardest to distribute first, then filling in the holes where I felt it would be necessary. One of these harder ones was Splash Wall. You'll notice that there's four Splash Walls here compared to the ten that I need to distribute. I feel like Splash Wall needs very specific stuff to work, but that kind of leaves the issue of these Splash Wall Shooters being at risk of outclassing one another. I tried to be cautious of this to some degree by giving the weaker main weapons better specials but I can only be so perfect with weapons not outclassing one another. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some obvious things I missed. Like, literally, while I'm writing this I realize that a Squeezer and Squiffer both have Autobomb Zipcaster which might be a little concerning.

For other things of note, I didn't mind giving 52 Deco Ultra Stamp because the main weapon is fairly strong and I know its first kit is viable. I'd do this sometimes where if I knew a special was weaker I'd just give it to the second kit of a weapon where I'm confident in the other kit being viable while the main and special still have alright enough synergy. I ended up having a lot of bombs and so I was tempted to give Zap 85 its regular kit back but I felt it'd be okay enough as a Sprinkler candidate even if definitely not nearly as good as before. It'd definitely not be meta anymore but Tacticooler Shooter is a strong enough pairing on its own for me to not especially want to give it one of the few Bombs I have. Maybe this is a mistake though.
Big Swig Roller - Fizzy Bomb | Triple Inkstrike
Big Swig Roller Express - Squid Beakon | Splattercolor Screen

Carbon Roller - Burst Bomb | Trizooka
Carbon Roller Deco - Torpedo | Killer Wail 5.1

Dynamo Roller - Sprinkler | Tacticooler
Gold Dynamo Roller - Angle Shooter | Crab Tank

Flingza Roller - Ink Mine | Tenta Missiles
Foil Flingza Roller - Suction Bomb | Super Chump

Splat Roller - Curling Bomb | Big Bubbler
Krak-On Splat Roller - Splat Bomb | Reefslider

There's only five rollers compared to the dozen or so shooters there are so I have a bit less to say about them. A lot of these happened to already have kits that I'm a decently big fan of minus a few changes especially since there were things like the vanilla Splat Roller and Dynamo Roller that had really strong synergy without being especially important subs for other weapons. I gave kits like this out fairly quickly just because I knew that'd make things a bit easier for me.

Carbon Roller has its Deco kit as its vanilla kit here which makes me feel the need to bring up Burst Bomb. I only had six Burst Bombs to give and there are a lot of main weapons out there that are weaker and really want a Burst Bomb to compensate. Some weapons that really need it didn't end up getting one, but Carbon was a case where it definitely needs it more than most weapons and it's been proven to be a decently healthy weapon with it. The one concern is that there's not many weapons I can give Trizooka to and it might be kind of a bold move for me to give such a strong special to a weapon that can never really play to it because of how bad its paint output is.

Its second kit is Torpedo and Killer Wail. I have a friend who plays this weapon who said this kit would be nice for it which I can totally see. Torpedo is another very rare subweapon that's very strong, which leads me to another point. I sometimes was fine giving weaker main weapons two very strong kits, or at least closer to two very strong kits than I would be able to give most other weapons. I don't want any weapon kits to feel completely useless and those are the ones where it'd come closest to feeling that way. I just really don't like stuff like Clash Neo existing only to be community beatsticks...

I feel like I should mention the Big Swig Roller as well. There were a handful of weapons where I was kind of scared to give them too strong of kits, especially those that are particularly good at painting since weapons like that are usually able to play to their kits better than others. If I gave Big Swig Tacticooler then that'd definitely be a buff and would possibly even make it meta, but it'd probably just end up being a painting bot like pencil is right now. We really don't want that, do we? I tried to compromise but am really iffy about a lot of these weapons regardless.
Bamboozler 14 Mk I - Curling Bomb | Ink Storm

Classic Squiffer - Suction Bomb | Ink Vac
New Squiffer - Autobomb | Zipcaster

E-liter 4K - Ink Mine | Wave Breaker
Custom E-liter 4K - Squid Beakon | Ink Vac

Goo Tuber - Autobomb | Trizooka
Custom Goo Tuber - Fizzy Bomb | Crab Tank

Snipewriter 5H - Sprinkler | Super Chump
Snipewriter 5B - Point Sensor | Booyah Bomb

Splat Charger - Toxic Mist | Ink Storm
Z+F Splat Charger - Splash Wall | Triple Inkstrike

Chargers were a weapon class that I figured would be more difficult to solve because a lot of the weapons within this class play very similar roles to one another, but most of the time backlines don't have too many different specials and subs they want to run and a lot of these aren't super coveted by other weapons anyways. Sorting out which ones got what was kind of the hard part. You can see Goo Tuber has the same thing I mentioned about Carbon with the Rollers - two deliberately really strong kits to make up for the main weapon being outclassed.

Crab Tank and Booyah Bomb are the two very last specials I gave out minus cases like the Snipewriter 5B here where there was literally nothing else to give to a weapon. These two specials are really cool in that they work on almost anything you give them to, which makes how you give them out really important for something like this. Crab Tank in particular is also very strong though so I chose to give it out before Booyah because that mostly went to a lot of weaker main weapons like here and with some of the stuff you may have noticed me me giving it out to earlier.
Bloblobber - Splash Wall | Triple Splashdown
Bloblobber Deco - Squid Beakon | Splattercolor Screen

Dread Wringer - Suction Bomb | Reefslider
Dread Wringer D - Torpedo | Tacticooler

Explosher - Point Sensor | Ink Storm
Custom Explosher - Toxic Mist | Wave Breaker

Slosher - Suction Bomb | Zipcaster
Slosher Deco - Curling Bomb | Ultra Stamp

Sloshing Machine - Fizzy Bomb | Triple Splashdown
Sloshing Machine Neo - Splash Wall | Killer Wail 5.1

Tri-Slosher - Angle Shooter | Reefslider
Tri-Slosher Nouveau - Fizzy Bomb | Tacticooler

Up next is the Sloshers. If there's any class I fumbled with the most for one reason or another it's probably this one.

Machine is already kind of falling off with a much better kit than the vanilla one I gave it, so why would I want to give it Triple Splashdown? Well, picture it like this - if I recall correctly, the weapon was plenty viable in Splatoon 2, an extremely strict meta, in spite of having the absolute worst special in the series' history. Imagine the timeline where it went into this game with this kit instead of Booyah Bomb. It'd probably never have gotten nerfed to the degree that it did, wouldn't you think? It'd possibly be in an even better spot. I do apologize for giving it Splash Wall on its second kit though, since I'm sure it's not very good but there were literally zero good Splash Wall options remaining by the time I got to this point.

I think the Dread Wringer D with Torpedo and Tacticooler is one of the absolute strongest kits I gave out to any weapon here and in hindsight I probably could have dialed it back at least a little. I just really wanted to give it Torpedo since Dread players got robbed so bad this season and it felt like a great fit for Tacticooler as well because of the paint output. I gave the Tri-Slosher a really weak vanilla kit under the idea that at the very least both of its two kits would play differently from one another, the synergy is there for both Angle Shooter and Reefslider and the Nouveau kit would probably still be viable. There's a reasonable chance that Dread D would just end up outclassing it in this case though which I probably should've noticed while I was still working on this.

Add on the Explosher still not really having a great kit and the Bloblobber being both really bad and being hard to balance by virtue of being a paint bot and yeah, in hindsight I probably didn't really do a good job here. Was bound to happen I guess.
Ballpoint Splatling - Squid Beakon | Tacticooler
Ballpoint Splatling Nouveau - Ink Mine | Tenta Missiles

Heavy Edit Splatling - Point Sensor | Trizooka

Heavy Splatling - Sprinkler | Booyah Bomb
Heavy Splatling Deco - Splash Wall | Wave Breaker

Hydra Splatling - Ink Mine | Big Bubbler

Mini Splatling - Curling Bomb | Triple Inkstrike
Zink Mini Splatling - Toxic Mist | Big Bubbler

Nautilus 47 - Point Sensor | Ink Storm
Nautilus 79 - Sprinkler | Killer Wail 5.1

I really don't have a lot to say about this class. It was a very similar kind of deal to Chargers where it was kind of weird to give subs and specials out when so many weapons in here have such similar ideas to them, although the one thing was that it was a bit harder to come up with kits for the midlines here. By the time I got around to these I was starting to run out of subs and specials and so there are some weapons like the Nautlius where I really just didn't know what to give it since if I gave it a bomb and even an alright special it could turn out really strong. To any Nautilus players who read this, I apologize for giving you Sprinkler. A bomb with Wail probably wouldn't have been so bad and I don't even remember asking myself whether or not it would be. That's about it though.

(continued on post 2)

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
Dapple Dualies - Curling Bomb | Kraken Royale
Dapple Dualies Nouveau - Splat Bomb | Booyah Bomb

Dark Tetra Dualies - Ink Mine | Triple Splashdown
Light Tetra Dualies - Autobomb | Zipcaster

Douser Dualies FF - Squid Beakon | Killer Wail 5.1

Dualie Squelchers - Splat Bomb | Wave Breaker
Custom Dualie Squelchers - Point Sensor | Ultra Stamp

Glooga Dualies - Splash Wall | Trizooka
Glooga Dualies Deco - Sprinkler | Triple Inkstrike

Splat Dualies - Suction Bomb | Reefslider
Enperry Splat Dualies - Curling Bomb | Inkjet

This was probably one of the absolute hardest classes for me to figure out only because there are way too many aggressive specials that totally suck and I didn't know how I'd make them all good even though these weapons also happen to be some of the best candidates for these synergy-wise. Like I basically had to give Tetras Triple Splashdown because they're some of the only weapons that I think can reliably get close enough to people to use them safely. I kinda like what I came up with for a lot of these in hindsight although I definitely fumbled bigtime with the Dualie Squelchers.

I guess now's a good time to mention that I gave a lot of faster stuff Ink Mine because I didn't want too many similar-feeling backlines to have it. I just think it's fun to get behind people and plant those everywhere. There were too many weapons that had Ink Mine in the base game and a handful that it just didn't work on at all like the Undercover Brella and the Annaki Nova. If you see something with low range that has it assume that's why if it wasn't obvious.
Recycled Brella 24 Mk I - Squid Beakon | Kraken Royale

Splat Brella - Angle Shooter | Ink Storm
Sorella Brella - Autobomb | Inkjet

Tenta Brella - Squid Beakon | Ink Vac
Tenta Sorella Brella - Ink Mine | Ultra Stamp

Undercover Brella - Burst Bomb | Tacticooler
Undercover Sorella Brella - Torpedo | Ink Vac

There's only four weapons in this class so it's kinda hard to say much here. I kinda wanted to give Splat Brella a Burst Bomb as well but didn't have enough slots since all of the other weapons that currently have it needed it more, like his awkward cousin over at the bottom here. The Undercover Brella needs some absolutely insane kits to even stand a chance of working and I don't think Ink Vac will quite do it for the second kit but it's an interesting enough idea to me regardless. I think Tent is the only weapon where Ultra Stamp jumped out to me as an awesome fit and I really liked the sound of Kraken on the Recycled Brella.
Blaster - Autobomb | Wave Breaker
Custom Blaster - Fizzy Bomb | Triple Inkstrike

Clash Blaster - Burst Bomb | Trizooka
Clash Blaster Neo - Sprinkler | Inkjet

Luna Blaster - Curling Bomb | Crab Tank
Luna Blaster Neo - Suction Bomb | Reefslider

Range Blaster - Splat Bomb | Kraken Royale

Rapid Blaster - Point Sensor | Ink Vac
Rapid Blaster Deco - Torpedo | Inkjet

Rapid Blaster Pro - Splash Wall | Big Bubbler
Rapid Blaster Pro Deco - Angle Shooter | Killer Wail 5.1

S-BLAST '92 - Autobomb | Zipcaster
S-BLAST '91 - Burst Bomb | Booyah Bomb

The fact that there were FOUR Rapid Blaster kits I had to do made things a bit weird since I wanted to make all of them a bit unique as well. Copying over the Deco kits was simple enough since they're both fantastic but I really wasn't sure what else to do there. I kinda forgot about one of them already having Ink Vac and being not great with it so oops lmao. I do remember Splash Wall supposedly not being terrible for it though and so Big Bubbler can't be awful for it by extension, plus it's a fairly unique kit here.

There's a boatload of location-related stuff here for reasons I would think are fairly obvious. I'm kind of surprised I didn't end up giving more stuff here Angle Shooter, although I guess it does kinda make sense with how weak a lot of the more short-range main weapons here are and how I needed to do other stuff for everything else. I just wanted to do the Splatoon 1 CRB kit for Range Blaster because I know it's the thing everyone wants, the Rapids already have one, and the S-Blast I just had to go with the two kits here because they're too sick.
Inkbrush - Splat Bomb | Crab Tank
Inkbrush Nouveau - Ink Mine | Kraken Royale

Octobrush - Sprinkler | Reefslider
Octobrush Nouveau - Suction Bomb | Trizooka

Painbrush - Curling Bomb | Ultra Stamp
Painbrush Nouveau - Autobomb | Tenta Missiles

Brushes. I'm kinda running out of things to say. The vanilla brush's kits are definitely from a place of bias because I love that thing to death and I don't know how it still is like mid tier at best despite its current vanilla kit being excellent for it in a game where most kits aren't good. Just figured I'd give them both a bit of a straight up boost, although comparing it to the other two brushes' kits looks a bit unfair. I mean...Sprinkler Reefslider? I guess this is one of the more suited weapons for Reefslider to be on especially since its second kit is very strong, but Painbrush probably still sucks bigtime. I don't think I showed my bias too strong with much of the other stuff I play though. Hopefully Sprinkler N-Zap proved this...
Tri-Stringer - Point Sensor | Ink Storm
Inkline Tri-Stringer - Sprinkler | Wave Breaker

REEF-LUX 450 - Curling Bomb | Booyah Bomb
REEF-LUX 450 Deco - Splat Bomb | Tenta Missiles

Stringers. I think Booyah Bomb would be particularly sick on Reef-lux because it wants literally every part of what Booyah Bomb provides to it and would help make it a tiny bit easier than it currently is. I know a lot of Stringer players do like Splash Wall on this thing but I'm too scared of the overall reputation that current Reef-lux Deco has for me to want to go through with anything remotely similar lmao. For Tri-Stringer I genuinely had zero clue what to give it though. Both of these kits seemed cool for it given how chip-heavy it is and how much it likes location but it needs something stronger and there's not a lot that it really wants that's stronger as far as I know. Like I would've totally given it Tacticooler if its painting weren't absolutely horrid.
Splatana Stamper - Angle Shooter | Zipcaster
Splatana Stamper Nouveau - Toxic Mist | Super Chump

Splatana Wiper - Torpedo | Ultra Stamp
Splatana Wiper Deco - Ink Mine | Big Bubbler

Lastly, Splatanas. Both Stampers are still pretty strong even after repeated nerfs so I figured I'd just tone them down a little bit here since other weapons would be able to use Burst Bomb or Crab Tank as buffs for example. These are both like pretty big drops but the main weapon is still very strong so I think it won't be the end of the world. Yeah if you read what I said earlier about me hopefully not being biased, let the fact that I gave my current favorite weapon in the game the two absolute worst subweapons by a country mile with mid tier specials be proof of that. For Wiper I think the vanilla kit's in a good spot as is and I needed more Ultra Stamp stuff, and I think I've gone on in a few other places about why I'd personally enjoy that second kit. If you haven't seen, tl;dr the mobility, one-shot and range of Wiper makes it a perfect fit for Bubbler and Ink Mine is for being super annoying and it also helps protect the inside of the bubble.

That's it! Hope I did an okay job. Lemme know what you all think, I'm curious to see what I missed.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I like your kits a lot overall but I definitely disagree with the mindset of giving weak mains strong kits and vice versa to compensate. I used to think this too but I think it's just way too hard to predict and balance the game around, from the devs' perspective, though to be fair I think it's okay in this case where you had to choose the kits somehow and the balance is already set in stone. I'm mostly just hoping nintendo doesn't have this mindset (the closest example I can think of is stamper nouveau getting mist which feels like an intentional way to hold it back ngl), because at a comp level, people are just going to pick the strong kits that are already in the game, so you end up with the inkjet situation where the special is good but your options for it all have a fatal flaw, so we never see it

Anyways can you even imagine if machine players got fizzy splashdown AGAIN lmao that'd be hilarious I'm down. Though I get your reasoning

It's also very funny to me that even with autobomb/trizooka and fizzy/crab, I'm pretty sure goo tuber would still be like a mid tier at best poor thing

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
how long did this take to write?
I had all this open on Google Sheet where it took me a few hours to decide everything, then I spent probably a little under an hour writing up the post about it.

and @Grushi, fair point for that first paragraph i don't have much else to say but wanted to acknowledge it

crows

Inkster Jr.
Premium
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6103-0887-9214
I like your kits a lot overall but I definitely disagree with the mindset of giving weak mains strong kits and vice versa to compensate. I used to think this too but I think it's just way too hard to predict and balance the game around, from the devs' perspective, though to be fair I think it's okay in this case where you had to choose the kits somehow and the balance is already set in stone. I'm mostly just hoping nintendo doesn't have this mindset (the closest example I can think of is stamper nouveau getting mist which feels like an intentional way to hold it back ngl), because at a comp level, people are just going to pick the strong kits that are already in the game, so you end up with the inkjet situation where the special is good but your options for it all have a fatal flaw, so we never see it

Anyways can you even imagine if machine players got fizzy splashdown AGAIN lmao that'd be hilarious I'm down. Though I get your reasoning

It's also very funny to me that even with autobomb/trizooka and fizzy/crab, I'm pretty sure goo tuber would still be like a mid tier at best poor thing
mist actually doesn't combo horribly with stamper - slowing people down helps with actually hitting distant shots, since the projectile is so slow. vamper is definitely the better kit, but namper isn't awful

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
mist actually doesn't combo horribly with stamper - slowing people down helps with actually hitting distant shots, since the projectile is so slow. vamper is definitely the better kit, but namper isn't awful
I mean you're not wrong, it's not the worst thing for it, but it feels too convenient that they gave a kit with one of the best mains and specials in the game one of the weakest subs, I have a hard time buying that it's not intentional, though I could totally be overthinking this

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I mean you're not wrong, it's not the worst thing for it, but it feels too convenient that they gave a kit with one of the best mains and specials in the game one of the weakest subs, I have a hard time buying that it's not intentional, though I could totally be overthinking this
Definitely a concern I have for how the devs create kits. If they purposely give certain subs to stronger main weapons to hold them back, then it gives the impression that they don't ever plan on buffing those weaker options so subs like Toxic Mist will stay mediocre. I don't expect every sub to be equally as strong but they should at least feel better to use but Toxic Mist is too expensive for what little it does.

Last edited:

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
This whole idea is extremely interesting though, always like to see different perspectives on what the main weapons in this game would work with.

Machine with TSD and Fizzy would be still be fun in Solo too, but I probably wouldn't have ended up loving the weapon as much without Booyah Bomb.
I guess this is assuming all specials were in the game from launch but I would still say that even if that was its vanilla kit, there's still a good chance it's fire rate and pfs would have been nerfed. They seem to want pfs for weapons with TSD to be higher (Enperry 200 and Nautilus 210) and their reasoning for nerfing Machine's fire rate was because of how well it could fight in open areas when they wanted the weapon to have a focus on terrain and verticality and early Splatoon 3 map design barely had any of that. Maybe I'm just pessimistic about Nintendo's game balance though.
52. kit on Machine Neo is cruel though but I understand lol

Don't have a lot to say about the other sloshers since most of their kits are mediocre, except for Dread D which would be amazing. It makes sense when you're working with a set limit for subs and specials though, some kits are just going to end up like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom