• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Underestimated weapons: ReForged

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
We're back in business

So for those of you unfamiliar or new I love non-meta tools and weapons.
I set this thread up to discuss some of these underestimated weapons that in spite of ranking low are actually really good as well as give advice on how to make better use of them.
So here we go

Blaster (vanilla):
Seriously how did this happen, at this time in Splatoon the mid range meta is huge, with so many nzaps, tri slosher, and the tetatek:mad: being so prevalent yet it seems this weapon got thrown to the waist side
ranked at the lowest of tier 4 (as of now).
The Blaster though is an amazing weapon, have an amazing kit for zoning out enemies, having poison mist to push back camping players on the objective, as well as rainmaker carries.
It also has splashdown of which everyone seems to get affect superjumps, but also serves as a sharking surprise attack, and a close range spacing tool.
This further help out with it main fire, which (if spaced correctly) has a quicker kill than the dread tri slosher.
Overall this is an amazing weapon which and don't understand why it isn't used more.

Carbon roller:
This tool is another amazing tool that doesn't get much light due (like most rollers) to the popularity of the octobrush right now
Carbons kit focuses on mitigating option and forcing confrontation.
It's sub is the autobombs, which follows player forcing them to swim into it, get to high ground or simply run away from it until it explodes. This can force the players to move into you or another ally, or not take a favored path, also on ledges the delay can punish people snapping to the ledge.
It's special is the ink cloud, and adds coverage that most rollers do not have making it good for turning and opening routes in enemy area if not dealt with.
Lastly it is now going to become more ink efficent making it swing even more powerful and terrifying than ever.

Splat duelies:
These are very dear to my heart since these are the main tool I used to initially get to S+ rank yet again it's other variants seemed to make many forget why this one did so good.
It really serves as a jack of all trades weapon, able to gain turf rush enemies
The duelies come with the burst bomb, the lowest cost sub in the game that also allow for burst canceling
It comes with the tentamissles which force players to move, show allies the direction showing allies the direction they are heading, and can be combined into a burst bomb after 1 missile hit to splat enemies.

Anyways I will be adding to this thread as meta changes, but feel free to post some of your favorite underestimated weapons down below

dishwasher

Full Squid
I'm not sure if many people consider this an underestimated weapon, but the Splat Charger (vanilla) is one of my favourite weapons. The Sting Ray could use a buff as many people here have expressed, but besides that, it's great. The splat bombs are key at pushing approaching enemies back slightly, being able to hold the charge in squid form allows for repositioning and following the objective, and the relatively quick charge time makes it viable closer up than most people expect.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Duallies are most definitely not underused. Maybe in America, but in Japan they are a huge part of the meta right now.

As for blaster, it was never a solid weapon competitively in the first game, and it's only been nerfed in splatoon 2. They are adding a balance patch tonight where blaster RNG is going to be reduced, but that's not going to make it a solid weapon unless it gets an actual buff

As for the Carbon, same situation. It has been nerfed into the floor. It's kill range is abysmal in Splatoon 2, making the regular roller far more effective

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Duallies are most definitely not underused. Maybe in America, but in Japan they are a huge part of the meta right now.

As for blaster, it was never a solid weapon competitively in the first game, and it's only been nerfed in splatoon 2. They are adding a balance patch tonight where blaster RNG is going to be reduced, but that's not going to make it a solid weapon unless it gets an actual buff

As for the Carbon, same situation. It has been nerfed into the floor. It's kill range is abysmal in Splatoon 2, making the regular roller far more effective
Dude I used the Blaster yesrterday as a test and got a flawless S to S+ win (not a single loss or crack) in rainmaker, never got less than 14 splat,and never died more than 5 times, honestly it was nerfed a lot to prevent the splatoon 1 meta... but even with the nerfs it is a really solid weapon and does counter a lot of the current meta weapons from my experience with it
Honestly a lot of non-meta weapons do suffer from nerfs or bad stats, but don't be quick to write them off, they might suprise you with how effective they can actually be

@dishwasher
It is a very solid weapon, I did use a lot of splat charger in the original game and I honestly loved it's style, nowadays I have used the firefin more than the vanilla, but I will definitely make sure to try out this weapon more

AnonymousSquidKid

Inkster Jr.
Custom Blaster: Has a different play style from original, but autobomb lets you seek and destroy, and inkjet lets you respond to long ranged weapons.
Dapple dualies: Very underrated as far as I can see. Especially in splat zones, the combinations of mobility and squid beakon and bomb launcher combined with a good kill speed makes it deadly, especially if comboed with another flanker speed kill weapon..
Dynamo/Flingza roller: Not gonna lie,this thing isn't good. But it has a niche as one of the most surefire ways to get inklings of the tower in tower control, which is always nice.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Dude I used the Blaster yesrterday as a test and got a flawless S to S+ win (not a single loss or crack) in rainmaker, never got less than 14 splat,and never died more than 5 times, honestly it was nerfed a lot to prevent the splatoon 1 meta... but even with the nerfs it is a really solid weapon and does counter a lot of the current meta weapons from my experience with it
Honestly a lot of non-meta weapons do suffer from nerfs or bad stats, but don't be quick to write them off, they might suprise you with how effective they can actually be

@dishwasher
It is a very solid weapon, I did use a lot of splat charger in the original game and I honestly loved it's style, nowadays I have used the firefin more than the vanilla, but I will definitely make sure to try out this weapon more
I said "competitively" not "ranked"
It is a whole 'nother story to get S+ in this game (my friend who had never touched splatoon did it in less than 3 weeks)

Good ranked results doesn't make a weapon good. It means the player played good enough to reach S+. The same can be done with Aerospray if the player is good enough. Fact of the matter is in splatoon 1 Luna was insanely superior to regular blaster, with range blaster being the real blaster powerhouse in competitive.

Now in splatoon 2 the regular blaster remains in the same place. Still less effective than the luna as it remained unchanged, with the now newly buffed rapid blaster overshadowing both

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom