• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Unreliable Teammates

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
bad teams are a fact of the game. being able to keep it together enough to carry the weak teams, not tilt through the atrocious teams, and pull your weight for the good teams is what gets you to A+. if you take each game as a learning experience instead of trying to decide who you dislike most out of your team, you will improve and eventually find your way to the top.

the fact is though, recognising your team's tendencies is one of the most important parts of ranked play. if you know you have a player who likes to facerush the point, you can use them as a distraction; never go in with the guy, go in from an alternate angle when he spawns. if your team is superjumping to mid, pull back when you see your team all respawning so that when they superjump to you they will be superjumping to a safe spot. you usually have enough time in any given game to recognise who is doing what, and either exploit that when they're on the other team or work with that when they're on your team.
Great tips, thank you!

However there are situations where I can´t do anything, specially when playing as a charger. For example, in my previous example what could I´ve done to win the match? I was for more than half the match defending the upper part on my own, pinging my teammates to jump to me...

When I´m playing I never think of exploiting my own allies, most times I sacrifice myself to defend someone jumping in without thinking. I may hate on them but they are my teammates after all, I guess I should look a bit more for myself.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
bad teams are a fact of the game. being able to keep it together enough to carry the weak teams, not tilt through the atrocious teams, and pull your weight for the good teams is what gets you to A+. if you take each game as a learning experience instead of trying to decide who you dislike most out of your team, you will improve and eventually find your way to the top.

the fact is though, recognising your team's tendencies is one of the most important parts of ranked play. if you know you have a player who likes to facerush the point, you can use them as a distraction; never go in with the guy, go in from an alternate angle when he spawns. if your team is superjumping to mid, pull back when you see your team all respawning so that when they superjump to you they will be superjumping to a safe spot. you usually have enough time in any given game to recognise who is doing what, and either exploit that when they're on the other team or work with that when they're on your team.
This is all doesn't mean much if the other team is using superior weaponry while your own team is using weapons with bad subs and specials, along with the fact that your teammates stupidly super jump to each other(not just you) in the middle of firefights. No matter how skilled you are, you can't do much when your teammates die because of elementary mistakes like this and you're left all by yourself, and by that time you're most likely already in the zone being overpowered by the other team. Then this ugly cycle repeats of you or your teammates dying while the others are out on the map, trying to retake the zone, they fail and die, then your half/quarter of the team dies once you move in. Worst part is, this is all failing to take into account that your team could be charging their specials during all this, so you're left in situations where it feels you're all going into a meat grinder when you do attack, because you're all going in one by one. This is a flaw of not having coordination. You might have the strategy, but it won't work without any sort of combined effort from your team. One good player with 3 bad players is hardly ever going to pull you through. Only time that works is if you somehow manage to splat all the other team within a relatively short period of time.

I'm not trying to suggest that you are wrong; I'm just pointing out that even if you plan a strategy, it will not always go according to plan, due to varying factors which you cannot control, like the very first thing I mentioned.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
This is all doesn't mean much if the other team is using superior weaponry while your own team is using weapons with bad subs and specials
which is just one of the ways your team can be atrocious. the players don't have to be bad, they could all just be using jrs or something. the rest of your post, I can acknowledge.

Trifroze

Inkling
NNID
Trifroze
One thing I want to point out is that it's much harder for your teammates to play well in teams where some players keep dying a lot and it's effectively a 3v4 or 2v4 for the others. On the contrary, the players dying might think that they can't do anything because their team is bad, but in reality the others are doing bad because the player isn't doing his part in the team so it stays at a constant disadvantage for the others. Just make sure you aren't that player.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Definitely does feel like there's nothing you can do but die on certain teams. Makes the game unplayable for me until August.

If you're the only one who doesn't instantly splat when an enemy is on screen, the match is already over. All you really need is one other person who isn't sitting on top of their gamepad and you have yourself a team. There's a lot you can do to help support even the worst of players, or simply use them as warm bodies to absorb enemy ink in your place. But if it seriously is only you on the team, all the other side needs to do is either splat you a single time, or have any one of them ignore you to instead steamroll everyone else. Either case results in total map control.

Now assuming you can leave one person alone for five seconds, you gotta babysit the others. Stick to them, focus on their target, check their blind spots, and ink up the good vantage points the enemy will use to attack from. Your team will rotate between inking safely, attracting enemy fire, dying, and shutting down the other team. And if one of your better players dies, yourself included, you still have the other one to cover for you. The other two are largely expendable. Just make sure you win 2v1s and 1v2s regularly or your team will fall apart and you'll lose ground.

If they're not moving up to camp the enemy spawn/splat zone, and they're not following you, then don't go in there alone. Ink up the surrounding area, toe the line of what's "on the other side", but go back and defend your nest, otherwise the enemy's gonna break right on through and ruin everything without you to do everything.

ImNotDeadYet

Inkling
I was having the same problem in B- and B. I found normally my lose streaks were mostly due to bad teams, but I figured out how to adapt. I stopped using supportive weapons (chargers and in brush were my two faves) and I started maining the forged splattershot pro. The point sensor really helps out when you're out numbered and defending, its my extra set of eyes that my teammates would ideally be providing. I also put a lot of death timer down on my armor (one primary and at least one secondary). With this combo I've made it to A-.

Or in other words: I built my build and strategy around losing. Technically this is a team game, but I basically play it solo. I expect nothing out of my teammates and expect nothing but the best from my enemies. This assumption never hurts when it is wrong and has won many games for me.

That being said, I am aware of my teammates and try to help them, but I don't expect the same from them.

This probably sounds pretty pessimistic, but it's done wonders for my win/lose ratio.

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
Most of the matches on this game normally come down to momentum of either side. Most of my losses are really close and sometimes we either couldn't regain our footing or we come up short in our comeback. One of the important things is to analyze both your teammates and your enemies and see how they play and try to exploit there weaknesses, granted you may need some help from your teammates. There are also times where you're teammates just leave you to die (reasons unknown) like for instance I had some experience of being left alone to defend the splat zone (or the front line) all by myself while once i die after killing 2 or 3 of them my team is just goofing around the back (makes me wish voice chat in game was implemented). Lastly, if all else fails, look closely at the map alot of times you can regain footing by having a pack mentality and strike your opponents like a wolfpack (strength in numbers) but dont stick too close or you can easily be wiped out, which all comes down to what weapon and gear does each side have and how you can hold your ground against them or use them to your advantage,

P.S. Sorry for the ramble-on paragraph hope this makes sense

rue

Inkster Jr.
I have a tendency to be impatient during competitive play, I have an aggressive playstyle in most games I play (not optimal) and that's my biggest flaw, however, in matches where I'm actually playing seriously, it gets to a point where I can't wait forever for my teammates, there have been multiple matches when I'm able to stay connected where we get destroyed because my teammates are 1. staying too far back and try to overthink situations 2. too spread out (as in none of them coordinate with each other based on positioning of teammates/enemies) or 3. are too scared to try to push into the splat zone, I understand how key patience is, but waiting too long for an opportunity to strike to the point where no one pushes in the entire game (after we lose control once) is extremely frustrating
note: most of these wont happen unless u were stuck in elo hell like me because u dc really often or are really brad

bad teammates are a problem, but in most situations in higher ranks they aren't as big of a problem as people make them out to be (i think), once i fix my net ill operate some ranked and try to improve so i can get to the a+ ranking

Tokis

Inkling
NNID
Tokiscrap821
Its not your fault. Its most likely the team thats lacking it happens to me a lot too.

Friendly Face-Off

Full Squid
NNID
taikolover-desu
Don't forget about those people who don't help and give 0 pts for themselves AND the team. >.< Earlier today I was the only team member who actually racked up points...

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Don't forget about those people who don't help and give 0 pts for themselves AND the team. >.< Earlier today I was the only team member who actually racked up points...
They could have disconnected mid-game. I've been in matches where my connection just bends over and dies for no reason (the previous and following matches worked just fine too)

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
Sorry if this comes off as immature, but I kinda just wanna vent. So, I had quite possibly the most infuriating ranked match ever and also quite possibly the worst team ever. The match was on Urchin Underpass. My strategy for that level is to build up my special at the very beginning of the match and shot off an Ink Strike since I have a lot of Special Charge Up. It usually works quite well and gives our team a big head start. But not this time. I fired the Ink Strike, and instead of us gaining control, the enemy did. Turns out my team was dying constantly and couldn't for the life of them make it to the Splat Zone. I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say the only times we ever, EVER controlled the area is when I rushed in and filled the Splat Zone all by myself. There was not a single time when me and a teammate were filling it in, it was all me every single time. Then once I fill it up, I immediately get killed because the enemy team gangs up on me and my teammates weren't protecting the zone. In order to even get to the Splat Zone, I had to go on a killing spree and kill every enemy by the Splat Zone in order to have time to fill it. Yep, killing three or four enemies myself in order to break into the Splat Zone? What were my teammates doing? Oh, just either getting killed or derping around. It seriously felt like a 1v4 match. In the end, I had about 8 kills and 7 deaths, while my teammates all had deaths in the double digits and like 2-3 kills. I could not believe how incompetent they were. And they were all C+ too...

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Sorry if this comes off as immature, but I kinda just wanna vent. So, I had quite possibly the most infuriating ranked match ever and also quite possibly the worst team ever. The match was on Urchin Underpass. My strategy for that level is to build up my special at the very beginning of the match and shot off an Ink Strike since I have a lot of Special Charge Up. It usually works quite well and gives our team a big head start. But not this time. I fired the Ink Strike, and instead of us gaining control, the enemy did. Turns out my team was dying constantly and couldn't for the life of them make it to the Splat Zone. I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say the only times we ever, EVER controlled the area is when I rushed in and filled the Splat Zone all by myself. There was not a single time when me and a teammate were filling it in, it was all me every single time. Then once I fill it up, I immediately get killed because the enemy team gangs up on me and my teammates weren't protecting the zone. In order to even get to the Splat Zone, I had to go on a killing spree and kill every enemy by the Splat Zone in order to have time to fill it. Yep, killing three or four enemies myself in order to break into the Splat Zone? What were my teammates doing? Oh, just either getting killed or derping around. It seriously felt like a 1v4 match. In the end, I had about 8 kills and 7 deaths, while my teammates all had deaths in the double digits and like 2-3 kills. I could not believe how incompetent they were. And they were all C+ too...
That sounds like the time I ended up 15-3 in Ranked Saltspray.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
Rank C in general are more likely have problem to give execution in the objective. but overall you need lead a bit if you can handle the room.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
This happens in almost every tier of Ranked. you just have to get really lucky with the draw and pray that your team knows what to do. I still think that a feature allowing you to tap key parts of the map on the gamepad, to Mark where you want to regroup,focus on holding etc. would be an additional way to communicate, since there is no voice chat it's very hard to devise a plan, let alone call out enemy positions...which if you could tell your team where the enemy is pouring from it could easily turn a fight around. but since you can't its basically "I hope they see those guys flanking, or I hope they see those guys coming..or I guess I'll go stop the flankers." etc.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Yesterday I got in a C lobby (I was B-) and for 2 hours or so everyone entering was C+ at most. Maps were Kelp Dome and Arowana. I lost some matches in Kelp Dome, but whenever Arowana came around my team always won, with me having the best K/D ratio by far and totally dominating the Splat Zone. Even if my teammates weren´t great players, my performance was enough in that map to guarantee a victory: I could control the access to the Zone so my teammates just had to do their part and paint it. Not in Kelp Dome, however. Sometimes I could carry the team there, but I couldn´t maintain a strong grip on the Splat Zone due to there being so many places the enemy can come from and it was impossible to control all at once.

This was all against players with less skill/experience, but some conclusions can be taken from this:
In some maps you can carry the team if you play well enough. In Arowana I usually manage to get a lockdown on the zone even against high ranked players.
In other maps, you´ll need help to win no matter how you perform. This is specially evident with chargers, I´m pretty sure that if the map rotation had been Urchin Underpass and Skate Park I wouldn´t have got so many wins. However, if you are using an all around weapon (squelchers, blasters, splattershot...) you may be able to carry the team in all maps. If I had been facing better players, they could´ve easily overran my team in Kelp Dome.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Scoring 20 to 25 kills (splats) every match doesn't really help much unless your team is actually defending the place where they are suposed to be, i understand filling up your special is good, but i've lost so many matches because my teammates just NEED to get their special gauge up to 100% before engaging,and even if they do, splat chargers bulls them away and special wasted.
I find myself losing matces not because i'm doing bad, but being constantly outnumbered no matter what i do, even if i do good by myself, i cannot do 1v4's.
And then there is the disconnects.
There are a lot of factors of why people are losing in genera in ranked battles, and mine is having not enough people on my team... by disconnects or ragequits.
Otherwise i can in fact do very well with a semi-incompetent team.

SaltySplatoon

Inkling
NNID
bandkid45
My favorite thing is glancing at the gamepad when we don't have the splat zone and seeing one guy pushing their territory. Have some situational awareness, people. We're getting routed and you're losing sight of the objective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom