• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Unreliable Teammates

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
As Flc said, I just use those matches improve my habits.
I have become an A+99 player by learning from my mistakes and improving my habits. Yes of course you are going to have bad teammates, as others have said you have to adapt to your team and make yourself play the best possible way. I have had many matches where I have a 15 Kill to 4 Death game but I still lose, and I still try to think what I could have done better. Am I the best? No, and that is why I am always trying to learn.

There were times where I stayed in a lobby, losing every match because of my team allowing my rank to keep dropping and dropping until I learned what I could be doing better. I have my better habits thanks to all those times. I am now able to carry harder, and win for my team.
I am not going to lie, there were times where I just leave the lobby, b/c I just can't carry. There isn't anything wrong with it, but if you are able to carry any team that only speaks to how great of a player you are.
You also have to realize that you can't just run in and take out their entire team, you have to pick the best times to attack and a lot of times that's keeping the enemy busy from afar until your teammates can at least provide a distraction for you. Another piece of advice that my friend used to give me was that "sometimes you just have to think that you are the best player on the team and that you have to stay alive no matter what". Also, trading is only good when your team is in control of the splatzone AND if you trust your team to keep ahold of it. If you don't trust them then when you trade with an opponent that is your fault, and you have to learn how to avoid a situation like that.

It is definitely a rough life if your weapon is a support gun. I love the inkbrush (it's my secondary, behind my tentatek splattershot), but it is a lot harder to carry with it. It would be easier to pick a different gun, but if you really like the weapon then learn to get better at it.

I wish you luck, it does suck sometimes but make sure you are having fun and learning from your losses.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I´ve been trying new weapons the last few days while I fell from A to B- and I have to say that using a charger in Ranked is hard mode. By switching to a roller or a "standard" weapon (.52/.56 Gal, NZap, Splattershot, even Blaster) I´ve been able to win more consistently and affect much more the overcome of each match. You don´t need to depend as much on your team and at the same time it´s much easier to team up with your allies and make team efforts as you are near them and can see what you are doing. Being able to approach the splatzone, get rid of opposition and ink the zone is not something you can do with a charger.

The exception to this is charger-friendly maps like Arowana Mall or Bluefin Depot, you can dominate there with a charger and carry the team.

On higher ranks people understand better how to work with a charger, but in B+ and under you´re much better with a different type of weapon. The less you rely on your teammates the better. You may be lucky and get a great team that coordinates and fights together, that knows NOT to go all out after the enemy zone in Port Mackerel when there are 30 seconds left, we have our zone controlled and we are ahead on the score only to die and give the enemy a clear chance to get our zone and make a comeback. Always start every match assuming the worst from your allies and try to guide them when necessary. Wait for them when attempting a breakthrough, worst case scenario at least the enemy will have more targets than yourself, best case they´ll save you or learn it for another time.

Also, if you are having trouble ranking up choose your weapon depending on the map. Some suggestions:
  • Arowana Mall: obviously charger. Standard chargers allow you to be more active, Elite is great to easily deal with enemy snipers.
  • Bluefin Depot: anything can be useful here really, though a strong charger in the ramp can dominate all the center of the map.
  • Saltspray Rig: anything. Rollers will probably have a harder time with all the elevated places where the enemies can perch themselves, so I´d go with a charger or a standard weapon to fight in the Splat Zone.
  • Wally´s Warehouse: charger works wonders here but only with the apropiate team support, so you´re better with a different kind of weapon. Due to all the different places where you can access the Splat Zone and it being flat, rollers can wreck anyone here. The Gals are also fearful, Blaster not so much because of the frenzy rythm, you need some speed in your attack so Splattershots or even aerographs would be better..
  • Kelp Dome: this is like the Splat Zone of Wally´s x3. You can´t go wrong with a roller here. Gals might even be better because it´s easier to get rid of enemies in the catwalks and to cover the long corridors safely.
  • Urchin Underpass: again, a charger with good support can place himself in the middle of the Splat Zone and totally negate all access to the enemy. But if you´re not able to reach this position you are screwed (and you´ll need your team´s help to secure this spot), so to gain rank it´s much better to use a different strategy. The Splat Zone being in lower ground favors greatly roller sneak attacks and fast weapons, even the InkBrush, so go with one of those.
  • Skate park: the Gals and Splattershots really shine here, combining their great mobility with longer reach to either face foes head on or surprise them. There are plenty of opportunities for surprise attacks, so InkBrush, Roller and to a lesser extent faster weapons are advisable too.
  • Port Mackerel: a good charger can defend the zone and keep control of the center of the map, but you totally relly on your teammates to be able to take the zone without leaving your zone undefended. So it´s much better to go with a different weapon. You´ll find yourself facing an enemy in a corridor frequently, so anything that can help in that situation is welcome: InkWall or Guided Bombs as sub and Inkzooka or Killer Wail as special. You can go for weapons with medium range to attack head on in the corridors or for faster shorter weapons to surprise enemies on corners. Echolocator is a monster in this stage due to how easy it is to travel from one place to another and ambush someone around a corner.

Wow, long post, hope it helps someone.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
I love this game so much and I'll never stop playing it as frustrating as it may get at times, but ranked really is ridden with extremely unreliable teammates to the point where game types like Splat Zones and Tower Control become unplayable. I love Rainmaker so much simply because it is so easy to carry your team on. There are so many times, if not every time where I have to completely carrying my team every single time on Rainmaker in order to win.

It all depends on the match making itself as well. There are times where you get reliable teammates, and there are times when you get useless teammates. Oddly enough, I got my friend to an A- rank in roughly 2-3 hours in Rainmaker from a C+ rank. I struggle with getting my B rank account to an A-. In my opinion, it all comes down to what kind of team mates you get, especially for Splat Zones and Tower Control. I literally just got the Tower 3 feet away from winning without help, tallying over 30 kills on Moray Towers, and my team just couldn't help at all going all negative and allowing the opposing team to knock us out after I was over come with literally all 4 of the opposing team on top of the tower...

I will always admit when I play like crap, and I blame myself, but sometimes, I can only do so much, and that's when it becomes frustrating, when you have to literally do everything for your team in order to just win one match.

Splats

Senior Squid
NNID
coolSean
I love this game so much and I'll never stop playing it as frustrating as it may get at times, but ranked really is ridden with extremely unreliable teammates to the point where game types like Splat Zones and Tower Control become unplayable. I love Rainmaker so much simply because it is so easy to carry your team on. There are so many times, if not every time where I have to completely carrying my team every single time on Rainmaker in order to win.

It all depends on the match making itself as well. There are times where you get reliable teammates, and there are times when you get useless teammates. Oddly enough, I got my friend to an A- rank in roughly 2-3 hours in Rainmaker from a C+ rank. I struggle with getting my B rank account to an A-. In my opinion, it all comes down to what kind of team mates you get, especially for Splat Zones and Tower Control. I literally just got the Tower 3 feet away from winning without help, tallying over 30 kills on Moray Towers, and my team just couldn't help at all going all negative and allowing the opposing team to knock us out after I was over come with literally all 4 of the opposing team on top of the tower...

I will always admit when I play like crap, and I blame myself, but sometimes, I can only do so much, and that's when it becomes frustrating, when you have to literally do everything for your team in order to just win one match.
This entire comment summarizes EVERY SINGLE TIME I play ranked with randoms.

Wizdoodle

Inkling
NNID
wizdewdle
I get what you mean. I was S, data got corrupted and dropped back to level 1 turf. I feel like the players in level 9 turf war are better than the players in the B's. Sometimes I'll go 19-2 and still lose, but then I think: "Okay, I got kills and inked the zone, but did I help my team at all?''. If your team is struggling to get kills, try to help them out so they have more time to ink the zone/push the tower :) (just don't trust anyone below A with the rainmaker)

Splats

Senior Squid
NNID
coolSean
I get what you mean. I was S, data got corrupted and dropped back to level 1 turf. I feel like the players in level 9 turf war are better than the players in the B's. Sometimes I'll go 19-2 and still lose, but then I think: "Okay, I got kills and inked the zone, but did I help my team at all?''. If your team is struggling to get kills, try to help them out so they have more time to ink the zone/push the tower :) (just don't trust anyone below A with the rainmaker)
Just today, I was playing squad battles (twin squad), and everytime an A took the rainmaker, they died and we lost the lead.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
A lot of the time it's simply that team mates have different ways to accomplish a goal and this is especially something that shines a lot in splat zones and Tower mode. Rainmaker I honestly find the easiest to rank up in, but it honestly could turn really bad if the other team is on point.

The majority of the time it's just because we can't communicate properly, aside from gameplay and two vocal cues. And please understand, I honestly don't support voice chat, but this game does need more preset sayings. A simple "hold point", or HELP would honestly work. But largely the main reason for "unreliable teammates" isn't really that you suck or that your team mates suck, just lack of a common goal.

As a charger, I honestly like to be in the middle of the battle field or in the enemies base ruining their own paths to points, but I understand I can't always do that in splat zones and tower control. The unfortunate thing tho, is that I'm not always sure I'm able to do that. Ill admit a lot of it is for my stubbornness to stay at a few places and just "snipe". So when I do get a good team, it usually isn't because they are suddenly good team members, just that their play style and my own work well with each other. I do like to think I'm a flexible charger, but in all honesty I dont get a regular amount of huge kills. I think the biggest I ever got was 12 tbh, but I do make nice power plays, and I have a tendency to hold point when needed.

So I suppose what I'm trying to say here, is that if you think your team members are unreliable I suggest you try to adjust yourself so your whole team can do better as a unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom