Version 1.3 Coming July 1st

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
From your translation it seems pretty clear - if the effectiveness of the ability has been reduced, it has indeed been nerfed. Also, since it would make no sense for them to do the opposite (though this is Nintendo...) I think we can safely assume it's a nerf. Sad times. Though, we'll have to see how significant it is. It might be nice to wear some different shoes.
Yeah, I guess thinking about it sensibly we already know it can't possibly be buffed(?!?!) so I should have known it's a nerf.

Pink

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
The Kraken nerf is totally understandable. Don't really understand the Ninja Squid nerf though. It already felt very slow so that's why I stopped using it.
Surprised that Aerosprays didn't get nerfed as well (even though I don't consider them OP, a lot of people do). I just hope that they aren't going to start nerfing everything.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The Kraken nerf is totally understandable. Don't really understand the Ninja Squid nerf though. It already felt very slow so that's why I stopped using it.
Surprised that Aerosprays didn't get nerfed as well (even though I don't consider them OP, a lot of people do). I just hope that they aren't going to start nerfing everything.
The reason was probably because you only needed like 2 mini speed up buffs to counter the speed reduction.

Aerospray probably wasn't nerfed because it didn't get good results despite being constantly used online...that and it didn't seem like they focused on weapons.

Chaozrush21

Full Squid
NNID
dotmae
Thank god the Kraken got nerf. I died too many times because of the Kraken, and the Ink Resistance Up nerf is well deserved too. I don't get the Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump nerf though, tjey're both very slow as it is.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Stealth Jump is so occasional that it feels weird to nerf, most of the time you still can land in enemy ink too if your teammate dies, I know it doesn't look like it takes more time, but nor does it look like you can jump that much faster with Quick Super Jump, all the changes from abilities are minimal so I thought it was OK to not be so much slower, maybe the changes aren't that drastic either anyway.

For Splatfests if anyone is still confused, I believe that if it can't find you a team from the opposing option it will still let you play against a team that voted for the same option you did. You'll still earn points for your splatfest rank, but these points won't count to decide the winner of the event, only matches between opposing teams will count to decide the overall winner.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I don't think the Kraken one was necessary honestly, sure its an insta-kill if it hits you but often times its so easy to avoid. I have been using it more defensively to circle into enemy splatzones and neutralize their movement and letting my team take advantage of the retreat rather than to kill them. A roller enemy rarely saves a kraken so as soon as you see them sparkle is an indication to gtfo and retreat momentarily, you dont even need ninja squid for that. I wonder if it is merely a slow down rather than a push back. For bubbler, push back makes sense as they can still shoot at you. For Kraken, since their damage is slamming into you, they would still need to be able to approach or its useless.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
I'm not sure if this is a nerf to Ninja Jump per say, since the jump taking more time pretty much ensures that enemies/allies have moved on from that spot. Thus allowing the user to "Ninja"

Last edited:

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
As someone who doesn't use kraken very often, but had to deal with a lot of them, I agree with @Hari Judari. Most of the time the only thing a Kraken does to me is make me retreat, and if it follows me I usually kill them right after they transform back into a squid, I feel like if the knockback is too strong it might become "useless", it will still be able to catch squids from behind/off guard, but using it head-on like most people do now won't be an option at all.

But again the changes might not be that drastic, and as it is invincible while transformed maybe it is a good change, I still like the bubbler a lot more though (not enough to give up echolocator for either anyway)

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I was just working on trying to make a good Ink Saver Sub shirt so I can swap out my shoes for ones with Ink Resistance. How bad is the nerf, should I bother worrying about that now?

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
As someone who doesn't use kraken very often, but had to deal with a lot of them, I agree with @Hari Judari. Most of the time the only thing a Kraken does to me is make me retreat, and if it follows me I usually kill them right after they transform back into a squid, I feel like if the knockback is too strong it might become "useless", it will still be able to catch squids from behind/off guard, but using it head-on like most people do now won't be an option at all.
While it's true that Krakens sometimes can only force you to retreat, I feel like that's exactly why it's being nerfed, because retreating is one of the only things you can do in response (along with simply hiding, which you can't always guarantee to be safe if they popped the Kraken close to you to begin with, and using an invincibility special of your own, but most weapons don't have that). It's essentially a very powerful "line-breaker", one that has very few viable ways to directly challenge it without being forced to give up your position, which is very important in any shooter. Whether it's powerful to the point that it could be considered "broken", I personally don't think so, but I'm willing to bet Nintendo has noticed just how popular the Krak-On Roller has become purely because of its special and is making these changes to prevent any sort of over-centralization.

The other changes are interesting as well. On the topic of over-centralization, we don't know yet just how much the Ink Resist shoes are gonna be changed, but I'm hopeful it'll be noticeable enough to warrant using other shoes. Granted, I also never considered the ability's effects to be universally useful (save for the reduced DoT in enemy ink), but again, this is most likely an attempt to nip any possibility of over-centralization in the bud. However, the Ninja Squid nerf is a bit puzzling considering that Cold-Blooded is arguably better, especially in public rooms, but maybe Nintendo realized (belatedly, admittedly) that the speed difference was way too small to be considered an actual "drawback". Stealth Jump falls in the same boat here.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Ink resist nerfed, no surprise there, since it needed the nerf. It was just too good to bother using anything else on your feet.

Ninja Squid, also saw coming. The debuff to swim speed wasn't much of a tradeoff for all the benefits you got from it. I can easily see Cold blooded to be a go to now.

Stealth Jump, wasn't a skill that I found to be useful, since I know when a jump was safe or not. But from the small amount of time I used it, I didn't really feel much of a difference in jump speed, so that was probably a nerf for the best.

Kraken nerf I saw coming. Even though I never really had much troubles dealing with them, I heard a lot of people complaining about them.

Inkstrike rework is going to be interesting, I need to see it.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
ok so kraken has gone from meh to trash since it can now be pinballed off cliffs
inkstrike has been... changed? idk, but if it can't instacap points or at least block them consistently it's going to be much weaker. all inkstrikes do a lot of the time is feed the other team special.
ninja squid getting nerfed so that now you too can be a ninja squid while also having cold blooded by simply tilting the stick, you'll go just as fast
ninja sj being nerfed because for some reason superjumps were still too strong in spite of their getting people killed approximately 150% of the time (100% for the user, 50% for the person they're jumping to who was hiding in a tiny speck of ink waiting to ambush someone)
ink res did not need a nerf. the other boot skills needed a buff to compete.

if I am to draw anything from this it's that nintendo is listening too intently to the twitter rage, which is not a good sign

what generally happens when devs start doing this is we have something that's op as hell but that just never gets addressed because people complain too much about trivial stuff like rollers, plus we have rapid blasters and inkbrushes in dire need of buffs that will simply never come because let's face it who posts angry twitter rants because they didn't get killed by something

I really hope I'm wrong btw but nintendo is just learning how to take advice from the people who play their games, which means they're not quite far enough up the learning curve to know that people who play their games almost never have a ****ing clue what they're talking about

(PJSalt)

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
The rest I understand, but

Wait, what?
brush is very slow to kill despite being a short range weapon

it loses straight up to every weapon in the game except rapid blaster

it also dies to sprinklers far more often than is acceptable

how it does in turf war is kind of irrelevant

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Now that you mention it, yes, the Inkbrush might actually need a buff. Even the best Inkbrush players are at a great disadvantage against other weapons with it - at least in the current modes. Maybe just let it use less ink or something like that.
But when I think about it... I have a really bad feeling about what would happen to the weapon balance, if Nintendo started to buff or nerf main weapons... *shivers*

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
The inkstrike nerf is probably because of some stage like Dome i presume where the middle its a hill. but idk i dont find any big issue with Inkstrike in general.
Tho the Ink res nerf still i do not understand still.
Ninja Squid was glitched during the release? description tell it reduce speed swim.

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
brush is very slow to kill despite being a short range weapon

it loses straight up to every weapon in the game except rapid blaster

it also dies to sprinklers far more often than is acceptable

how it does in turf war is kind of irrelevant
I see your point - I considered these kinds of things just part of being an Inkbrush user but I guess it doesn't necessarily mean it should have to be that way.
I've never found myself thinking the time to kill is slow, though?

It'll be really interesting to see if they do attempt weapon balance in future patches. Also the backlash from people having their favourite weapons meddled with.

I still find the notes regarding Ink Resistance really vague, I wish they'd actually say how they're adjusting it. I'm just being picky though I guess

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Ninja Squid was glitched during the release? description tell it reduce speed swim.
It does reduce swim speed, but only about as much as one sub-perk raises it. They want to increase the reduction. Same for Stealth Jump.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I see your point - I considered these kinds of things just part of being an Inkbrush user but I guess it doesn't necessarily mean it should have to be that way.
I've never found myself thinking the time to kill is slow, though?

It'll be really interesting to see if they do attempt weapon balance in future patches. Also the backlash from people having their favourite weapons meddled with.
fastest possible ttk is 26 frames, which is equal to the jet squelcher (for comparison, most weapons are under 25 frames even after taking likely misses/travel time into account). the only weapon worse is the rapid blaster.

and yes, the inkbrush does have its uses, but the uses are so niche compared to every other weapon. it gives up so much to gain so little

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom