• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Walleye Warehouse has serious spawn camping issues

Book81able

Inkster Jr.
NNID
book81able
I should mention that there is one setback that makes this problem unknown for good players. That little plastic ramp. It makes a person need to get out of squid form and walk. A good player would easily stop someone form getting up there.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
There are multiple mechanics that discourage spawn camping. A protective barrier around the spawn point, as well as super jumping.
I mean, you're right. It's not like I don't know about those mechanics.

My suggestion opens up another option of fighting head on rather than jumping away or waiting for ink to fill for using your secondary/grenade over and over again. It also fixes a hopefully rare case of your whole team being stuck in spawn.

To go along with Pivi's idea, a team/squid coming out of spawn should try to spread out while advancing to those 2 areas on on either side of the ramp. That'd make it harder for the enemy team to hold you guys off.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I feel like this could be a problem with beginners, but I don't see it as a problem at all overall, in any map, there is a very simple solution but it requires you to think differently.

The thing is you don't earn more points for territory near you, so you can leave them on your spawn point and move the fight to their spawn point, and reclaim your territory as the match is nearing it's end.

If a team is spawn camping they are probably leaving large parts of the map unattended, specially near their own base, focus painting those areas and avoid combat. They'll notice you're claiming territory and leave the spawn point to take care of you, it's the chance for teammates around the area to reclaim the territory near the spawn point (or superjump to you).

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I feel like this could be a problem with beginners, but I don't see it as a problem at all overall, in any map, there is a very simple solution but it requires you to think differently.

The thing is you don't earn more points for territory near you, so you can leave them on your spawn point and move the fight to their spawn point, and reclaim your territory as the match is nearing it's end.

If a team is spawn camping they are probably leaving large parts of the map unattended, specially near their own base, focus painting those areas and avoid combat. They'll notice you're claiming territory and leave the spawn point to take care of you, it's the chance for teammates around the area to reclaim the territory near the spawn point (or superjump to you).
That's my main issue, really. Competitive players know what they're signing up for and experienced players know how to deal with things, but new players are liable to be stomped in a very unfun way that they don't know how to deal with.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
That's my main issue, really. Competitive players know what they're signing up for and experienced players know how to deal with things, but new players are liable to be stomped in a very unfun way that they don't know how to deal with.
I'd hope the team shuffling and matchmaking would take care of not having a person always on the "camped" team, and as players get more used to the idea that ink anywhere helps and superjump is a thing it won't be so bad.

This is also why I think the team shuffling is a great idea, specially being the only mode at the start, certainly will avoid issues of great teams stomping everyone else.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
This is why splatoon has rankings and a leveling system. You''re not gonna have a bunch of tourney level players gang up on newbies. Unless a really experienced player is messing around on a lv.1 account, these fights will feature players who are more or less equal when it comes to experience. If spawncamping happens among beginners, then it's just a matter of them figuring out what I had posted earlier.
If it's happening with advanced players well

Mecryte

Inkling
NNID
Mecryte
What if they made the bottom of the first ramp after spawn inaccessible for the other team?

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
What if they made the bottom of the first ramp after spawn inaccessible for the other team?
This would lock a large part of the map from the enemy team, including the section that goes through the left, until the player reaches a grate that drops in the middle area, seems like a lot of space but Saltspray Rig does have a large area locked so maybe it could work. Still I don't think it would work as well, considering chargers would be able to paint a lot more ground on this map than from the safe area on Saltspray Rig, while being relatively safe on higher ground.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I don't think that would work if you mean the barrier. It would be inconsistent with the rest of the game.

Mecryte

Inkling
NNID
Mecryte
This would lock a large part of the map from the enemy team, including the section that goes through the left, until the player reaches a grate that drops in the middle area, seems like a lot of space but Saltspray Rig does have a large area locked so maybe it could work. Still I don't think it would work as well, considering chargers would be able to paint a lot more ground on this map than from the safe area on Saltspray Rig, while being relatively safe on higher ground.
No, I don't think that we're on the same page. Just after leaving spawn there is a slope that you can ink, not the two others that you can't ink.
Walleye_Warehouse.png

From the spawn to the red line, make the enemy team unable to pass there. They can ink it all they want, just not pass.
Alternatively, make the slope level with the red line. Same idea, just a geography change.

Attachments

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Oh OK, I really thought it was the other slope, the one that can't be inked :p

Actually I believe the slope is what causes most people to be easily camped, it is easier to hit player that go down through it than players that go from the high ground in the laterals (you can even junp in a box on the left and go past any campers). Maybe if it was indeed a hard drop, no slopes, it would be better.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
EDIT actually wait

Those two platfoms are perfect for shooting and jumping off of, unless the person spawncamping is deliberately shooting up, their line of fire is going to be right down the middle slope

On the left side there's a box placed that can be shot and then jumped upon and squid..ed...across, getting you out of the danger area. Thiis is ALSO out of line of enemy fire, and there's no way they can focus on both these patches of land and you at the same time, even if there's more than one inkling harassing your spawn. The only way to cover that box in their ink is to either get on that platform (which would involve coming right in front of your spawn, turning around and shooting at it) or shoot towards the sky and have patches of ink land on it, which could easily get covered with your own ink.

Of course no one used them because it's day 1, hour 1 demo playtime, but I feel when people gain proper map awareness, this issue will disappear.
tried it. didn't work. once your on that box, your on an island in enemy ink and sharks are swimming in it.

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
I hope its okay if I just copy over what I said on the map thread

When being spawn camped on this map your best choices are to super jump to another player if possible or try to swim your way around them and head to their base. When they are camping your base their own base is often unprotected or is only covered by one person. This makes the perfect opportunity to paint their spawn while they are busy with yours and allows you reclaim roughly the same amount of ground before going back to the middle. If you have either bomb supers I would recommend not to worry about repainting your own base until you have a super on lock (unless time is running out). Once your bomb super is up just throw as many at your own base as possible.

That's my recommendation how to cover spawn camping on this map anyway. The best option of course is to not let it happen. People usually get in your spawn from that ramp located to the right (right from the spawn point's perspective). Its important to keep an eye on this location and prevent people from getting in or stop anyone you notice getting in. This job should take only one player. At the very least a charger who can look over to check every once in a while. If you notice no one is covering this or keeping it in mind then please take initiative and cover it. If you have a sticky bomb, locator mine, or mine (I forgot their official names) place one on that ramp to stop people.

While it is incredibly infuriating I don't think the spawn camping is a map ruiner. The objective is to cover ground and your base is valuable ground its only sensible it will be attacked, and only sensible that you should also attack there's. I think this makes for an interesting case of having to play both offensive and defensive sense both teams have to try to infiltrate and block. I think it can be very exciting once people collectively realize this.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
the issue with "swimming past them" is they are standing right at the bottom of the first ramp. by the time you can make any progress at all in getting past them, you will be dead. and before anyone suggests it, the side routes that go to the main area have the same problem. they are behind the camping enemy.

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
the issue with "swimming past them" is they are standing right at the bottom of the first ramp. by the time you can make any progress at all in getting past them, you will be dead. and before anyone suggests it, the side routes that go to the main area have the same problem. they are behind the camping enemy.
If you throw a grenade first while you are in the spawn point (assuming you have grenades) that is going to force them to scramble a tiny bit. This is your opportunity to try to swim past or around them. You should probably aim for jumping onto the boxes with cardboard on top of them. This still has plenty of potential for getting shot, but its really your best option in this situation.You might also want to wait till another team mate to be in the spawn with you. If you both swim for it together it is less likely they will splat both of you. If you get splatted and the team mate makes it then you super jump to them. Still you might both get shot. Its a bad situation and no option is perfect.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
But if your teammates are already ahead you can just superjump, and if your whole team can't escape then there is a huge skill gap and nothing could prevent the defeat I'm afraid, even if a bigger area was protected.

The thing is if a team is somewhat balanced spawn camping would be more a waste of time from the camper, who is not covering a lot of territory. If one team doesn't challenge the other covering their territory, they have no reason to stop spawn camping, so I think for now it's more of an issue on teams not having the skill to push the fight to other places, there are plenty of strategies to avoid it, it would be a problem if the game gave you no options, for now it's just inexperience with the new gameplay.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
In case the camping issues gets to bad, they might patch something to balance people trying to spawncamp too much, or come up with something that balance everything more properly.

I actually stopped with the rollers when i first saw how much you get killed by someone trying to spawncamp on Walleye Warehouse, so i changed into any of the splattershot weapons, and having bubblers is a nono since you lose a portion of your special bar when you get splatted when you get respawned into your start point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom