• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Was there a recent difficulty spike?

JfiveevifJ

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Leyrwithe
Warning: post contains salt

After the last Splatfest, Splatoon seems to have gotten extremely difficult. I'm no elite S/S+ player, but I'm certainly no slouch either. I've been sitting at rank A+ for a while now and could hold my own relatively well - until recently...

I even tried rank and with my losing streak it didn't take long to drop to A from A+ 34. I'm less irritated and more confused as to what happened to cause such a sudden spike in difficulty.

So what happened? I'm real tired of getting trampled on every single match lately. Is it just time to hang up my gear? It's certainly not fun lately.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
That's normal. Sometimes the RNG will sort you against a bunch of players miles better than you, and your job is to either git gud or suffer trying.

don't give up for good, just know when you're getting too frustrated and do something else

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
The game randomizes what kind of players you're up against. Whether it's someone who's already really good in the game or someone really terrible, it's always random. A match can either be easy or difficult depending on the player. It's pretty normal. If you're fed up with the more skilled players that make a match more difficult, then try another lobby. Sometimes you'll find players that have the same skill level as you.

JfiveevifJ

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Leyrwithe
I wouldn't have an issue with it if it was just a day or even two - I've had those moments and been through those "git gud" growing pains before. But this feels unlike anything I've experienced before. I've been struggling, like really struggling, for a solid week now where I never have before.

It feels like I'm encountering multiple techniques all at the same time that I've honestly never seen before. For example, I was using the SplatterScope on Arrowana and the right side corridor was all my ink color. I couldn't get a lock-on as some guy with a Sploosh-o-matic closed the entire gap within 3 seconds max, weaving back and forth incredibly fast. That was 4 days ago and try as I might in the testing range I can't duplicate it.

I could come up with more examples, but they're relatively the same, and it's difficult to git gud when you can't stay alive. I'm rather at a loss for what to do at this point and losing constabtly is just demoralizing.

Suggestions?

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
As time goes on, people will generally get better and better. Although I have not noticed any spike, but I definitely say that people are generally playing better, and it is hard to score as well as I used to.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I think the matchmaking is partially to blame for this, at least in Turf War. It needs to keep the extremely experienced players away from the lower ranked players better than it has been.

On the whole, the more level 50 players there are, the more often us mid-level players and below are going to run into them and get totally wiped out, so much so that it's impossible to learn anything. I'm sure the top level players would rather play against folks at their own level as well, since blowing apart newbies is only fun to the most sadistic minorities.

I mean, I'm level 36 and I've owned the game since day one, so I can sort of hold my own in level 50 lobbies sometimes, but imagine the horror of a new player jumping into the game and being faced with a wall of level 50s who play Splatoon instead of sleep.

It's probably my only major gripe with the game. I don't play Ranked enough to notice any matchmaking problems there.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
imagine the horror of a new player jumping into the game and being faced with a wall of level 50s who play Splatoon instead of sleep.
Been there, done that. It's super frustrating because you're trying to learn the game whilst people are spawn killing you like a boss. It's kinda hard to "git gud" when you spend half the match respawning. If you can make it to lvl 10 though, Ranked is far more fair because players are grouped by rank (skill)

I think the rank system is supposed to do that in Ranked mode, but I think they should consider doing a similar ranking system in TW. Also, I think matchmaking should have an algorithm for detecting what weapon someone is using and put a limit of 2 of the same weapon on one team. If you're playing with three "melee" guys against a team with a huge range advantage, you're going to have a bad time. If you're trying to play TW with three Squiffers, you are also likely going to have a bad time. I get that TW is supposed to be casual mode, but it's also the only taste of online play people will get until lvl 10. You don't want to make it too hard on new guys to the point where the fun mode is frustrating.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Been there, done that. It's super frustrating because you're trying to learn the game whilst people are spawn killing you like a boss. It's kinda hard to "git gud" when you spend half the match respawning. If you can make it to lvl 10 though, Ranked is far more fair because players are grouped by rank (skill)

I think the rank system is supposed to do that in Ranked mode, but I think they should consider doing a similar ranking system in TW. Also, I think matchmaking should have an algorithm for detecting what weapon someone is using and put a limit of 2 of the same weapon on one team. If you're playing with three "melee" guys against a team with a huge range advantage, you're going to have a bad time. If you're trying to play TW with three Squiffers, you are also likely going to have a bad time. I get that TW is supposed to be casual mode, but it's also the only taste of online play people will get until lvl 10. You don't want to make it too hard on new guys to the point where the fun mode is frustrating.
I wouldn't go so far as the weapon thing, because that could get really complicated and the last thing we need is more complicated net code, but I think a similar thing should be to not put all the high level players on one team. If you have three level 50s on one team and they all have Brushes and the other team has all level 12s or whatever, they're still gonna win.

Turf War may be the "causal" mode, but it has competitively interesting facets to it and it's really hard to see those when the level of experience between teams is so lopsided. I had some REALLY good matches today in Turf where the teams were evenly matched and every match came down to the wire. I wish there could be more of that.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
I mean, I'm level 36 and I've owned the game since day one, so I can sort of hold my own in level 50 lobbies sometimes, but imagine the horror of a new player jumping into the game and being faced with a wall of level 50s who play Splatoon instead of sleep.
Having watched my younger cousins play online as new players, I'm fairly certain that the game doesn't actually let that nightmare scenario happen. Most of the time, you'll get matched up with other rookie players when you're just starting out, and rather curiously, the few veteran players who sneak into these rooms generally seem to be atrociously bad for their level (assuming they're not just going easy on everyone else). The matchmaking algorithm for Turf War may not be as strict as the one for Ranked, but it definitely doesn't just group players at random.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Having watched my younger cousins play online as new players, I'm fairly certain that the game doesn't actually let that nightmare scenario happen. Most of the time, you'll get matched up with other rookie players when you're just starting out, and rather curiously, the few veteran players who sneak into these rooms generally seem to be atrociously bad for their level (assuming they're not just going easy on everyone else). The matchmaking algorithm for Turf War may not be as strict as the one for Ranked, but it definitely doesn't just group players at random.
It certainly is mysterious how it works, even though they've said that it matches players based on "playstyle" as well as level. It's been the last week or so where I've noticed a level 50 in every room, and whatever team they are on is the one that wins since to get to level 50 even this many months after the August update requires a lot of play time and a lot of winning.

It's not the worst matchmaking the the world (say hello, For Glory) but I feel it could be better.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I'm S+ and level 48, and I still have to battle with my best foot forward in Turf Wars. My lobbies are full of other high skilled players, to the point where Turf Wars is just as intense as a ranked battle. I like the constant challenge, but I wish I could try new weapons, or level up new clothing without worrying about not being good enough to stand a chance. I'm sorry if I sound whiny, considering I am one of the skilled, high level players who clog up Turf Wars with our tryhard shenanigans.

Ever since the huge 2.0 update, Turf Wars have become much more competitive. People wanted to level up, and fast. They upped their games immensely, and I did as well. Before the update, Turf Wars used to be pretty chill, just a jolly good time. Not anymore unfortunately.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'm S+ and level 48, and I still have to battle with my best foot forward in Turf Wars. My lobbies are full of other high skilled players, to the point where Turf Wars is just as intense as a ranked battle. I like the constant challenge, but I wish I could try new weapons, or level up new clothing without worrying about not being good enough to stand a chance. I'm sorry if I sound whiny, considering I am one of the skilled, high level players who clog up Turf Wars with our tryhard shenanigans.

Ever since the huge 2.0 update, Turf Wars have become much more competitive. People wanted to level up, and fast. They upped their games immensely, and I did as well. Before the update, Turf Wars used to be pretty chill, just a jolly good time. Not anymore unfortunately.
Haha, it's not a problem that people are "tryhards" in Turf, it's the main mode of the game, after all, even if it doesn't figure in tourneys for some reason (that's a whole other can of worms), and after level 20, winning becomes far more important. I try pretty hard in Turf, and it's almost all I play.

I just wish that competition was more fair, y'know? : P

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Haha, it's not a problem that people are "tryhards" in Turf, it's the main mode of the game, after all, even if it doesn't figure in tourneys for some reason (that's a whole other can of worms), and after level 20, winning becomes far more important. I try pretty hard in Turf, and it's almost all I play.

I just wish that competition was more fair, y'know? : P
For sure, I wish the lobbies were more much more friendly to newer players. It's common for me to have lobbies full of 40s and 50s, and one very low level player. They rarely stick around for a second match because they can't compete. I wish there was a set of lobbies for players level 10 and under. They need an environment to learn the game the way we did when the game first came out.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
For sure, I wish the lobbies were more much more friendly to newer players. It's common for me to have lobbies full of 40s and 50s, and one very low level player. They rarely stick around for a second match because they can't compete. I wish there was a set of lobbies for players level 10 and under. They need an environment to learn the game the way we did when the game first came out.
I only started playing Splatoon a month ago and I didn't have a problem learning the ropes. I didn't even realise I sucked... I didn't get frustrated, it was fine. My first game I didn't like because rollers kept splatting me, but once I got a roller of my own I was a happy girl.

JfiveevifJ

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Leyrwithe
It certainly is mysterious how it works, even though they've said that it matches players based on "playstyle" as well as level.
I think this may have something to do with it right here. When I start out I'll have a really good couple of rounds where people are practically walking into my line of fire. I end up with 10-12 splats and then suddenly I'm bounced into a new lobby where everyone is super aggressive.

Should I just avoid splatting people? Turf war seems hardly casual lately.

JfiveevifJ

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Leyrwithe

Right here, this exactly.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i was just thinking the same thing. it sucks for them not being able to get anything done and it also sucks for us getting screwed over despite doing nothing wrong. i tried to show my friend to the game a few weeks ago and it was like painfully difficult for him... i thought maybe it was just because he was using my file and that the game was just pairing me with other high level players.

*reads entire thread*
ok so maybe it IS intentionally pairing me with better players?
mannnn turf wars are really hard though, especially when i'm trying out a new weapon or trying to learn how to use a weapon class for the first time.

Ink dweller

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jchalla
I guess that it's "Survival of the fittest". I know that it's Darwinism, but if you can't change weapons, and strategy with Splatoon, then you won't prosper in this game. The trends in this game are always changing every month or so. I'm going to show you what I mean by "It's always changing"

I got splatoon on the 31st of July so I don't know all the changing trends

When the game first came out, everyone was using the aerospray rg. What nerfed it? Any weapon that had longer range. The new popular weapon was the splattershot Jr. The .52 gal nerfed the splattershot jr. Then it was the .96 gal deco, then it was the splattershot pro. The Krak-on splat roller, the E-liter, and the Tentatek splattershot were both popular at the same times........until the roller, and the E-liter got MEGA nerfed. Now, less people use the Krak-on splat roller, and the tentatek splattershot. The classic splattershot was used for a short time (about a week or so), but now Inkbrushes, and octobrushes are the popular weapons.

Now that I think about it, people could theoretically use old weapon trends to predict the next trend, and to quickly nerf that predicted trend, causing a new trend.

My mind is blown!

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
As time goes on, people will generally get better and better. Although I have not noticed any spike, but I definitely say that people are generally playing better, and it is hard to score as well as I used to.
This. Either you get better or fall behind in a lower rank. You say it's not fun, but perhaps you will have fun in the B rankings? I'm being serious, nothing is wrong in losing a rank if it's needed.

The pros didn't get where they are because of luck, they didn't 100% of the time get good teams. Part of being an excellent player is BEING the team.

If you're not having fun in competitive play then I recommend simply sticking with turf war. No shame, I've been doing it more and more lately.

Last edited:

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
This. Either you get better or fall behind the a lower rank. You say it's not fun, but perhaps you will have fun in the B rankings? I'm being serious, nothing is wrong in losing a rank if it's needed.

The pros didn't get where they are because of luck, they didn't 100% of the time get good teams. Part of being an excellent player is BEING the team.

If you're not having fun in competitive play then I recommend simply sticking with turf war. No shame, I've been doing it more and more lately.
Turf War is just as full of competitive players as ranked, and furthermore lacks Ranked's hard separation of players, so that the "tryhards" are being thrown in with the causals and the less experienced more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom