• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ways to Improve Sting Ray?

redbunnyer

Inkster Jr.
Many people, myself included, think that the Sting Ray is an underpowered special. I think if they gave it an aiming reticle it would be much better, but what do you guys think? Any other suggestions to improve the Sting Ray?

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Make the beam bigger, allow turning faster, allow us to see enemies through walls at all times when using it.

redbunnyer

Inkster Jr.
Make the beam bigger, allow turning faster, allow us to see enemies through walls at all times when using it.
I like those ideas, but being able to see enemies the entite duration may be OP. I agree with the bigger beam and faster turning though.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
I like those ideas, but being able to see enemies the entite duration may be OP. I agree with the bigger beam and faster turning though.
They move insanely fast anyway and the size of the thing obscures your view by removing your retical, so seeing through walls wouldn't be much more useful.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Ways to buff Sting Ray

give it an actual aiming reticle
make the beam bigger
make the Sting Ray turn faster
Not ALL of these for sure, but these are some things that would make it stronger.

One of the Sting Ray's issues is because splatoon runs at such a low tickrate (16hz), the game cant register all the hits, hence why you will get a million ticks and still no splat. This is also why Ink Armor blocks wayyyyy more damage than it should.

redbunnyer

Inkster Jr.
Ways to buff Sting Ray

give it an actual aiming reticle
make the beam bigger
make the Sting Ray turn faster
Not ALL of these for sure, but these are some things that would make it stronger.

One of the Sting Ray's issues is because splatoon runs at such a low tickrate (16hz), the game cant register all the hits, hence why you will get a million ticks and still no splat. This is also why Ink Armor blocks wayyyyy more damage than it should.
Yeah I've only really noticed the low tick rate when using the Sting Ray. It seems like I keep it on my target for such a long time and they just don't die.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Yeah I've only really noticed the low tick rate when using the Sting Ray. It seems like I keep it on my target for such a long time and they just don't die.
Yeah. It's a really bad feeling.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
as many others have said, adding a reticle would help
give it better ink coverage
add the ability to cancel out of the special
add the ability to use subs during it
allow the inkling to walk normally when not firing

redbunnyer

Inkster Jr.
as many others have said, adding a reticle would help
give it better ink coverage
add the ability to cancel out of the special
add the ability to use subs during it
allow the inkling to walk normally when not firing
Being able to use a sub would help a lot, if someone gets close to you, you wouldn't be as helpless. Although the special IS meant to be used at a long range.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
What if it wasn't a beam of ink that does nothing, but instead it's an actual sting ray (like the fish) who follows you around the entire match and compliments you?

"Oh, nice inking, SquidKid."
"Dope splat! You really got him and/or her."
"Hey, you assisted your teammate! That's some good teamwork!"
"Oh, cool! You got on the tower! Good job swimming up onto that tower!"

Stuff like that.

And if you lose, he'll try to comfort you.
"That wasn't your fault, friend. Your team wasn't very good."

I don't know. I think most people would prefer this sting ray to the one currently in the game. As a plus, he stays active the entire time.

His name is Ray.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Usually its pretty easy to dodge the ray even if the sting ray is perfectly used.

Give it a reticle and let them see always the enemies, so its easier to use, the lower the skill gap at the beginning the more people will used it properly.

Atm it requires so much skill to use its really discouraging.

redbunnyer

Inkster Jr.
Usually its pretty easy to dodge the ray even if the sting ray is perfectly used.

Give it a reticle and let them see always the enemies, so its easier to use, the lower the skill gap at the beginning the more people will used it properly.

Atm it requires so much skill to use its really discouraging.
I agree, it is usually very easy to dodge a Sting Ray, unless you're cornered or something.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I agree, it is usually very easy to dodge a Sting Ray, unless you're cornered or something.
That's why my idea is better. You can dodge a Sting Ray easily at the moment, but you can't dodge Ray the Friendly Sting Ray's compliments. Even if you're not playing well, he'll find something nice to say about you.

"Excellent choice in shoes, pal. You're a snappy dresser."

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, it's a pretty bad sign if the enemy whips out their special and that makes you go: "nice, now I can easily kill them."
But that's the stingray (and the curling bomb special to an extend). Honestly, I hate the whole concept of the thing, so even if they improve if I probably wouldn't ever use a set that uses it, but a good start would make it a OHKO. Of course it would need a longer warning/start-up.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I don't mean to spam this post with my really good Ray the Friendly Sting Ray ideas, but I thought of another thing Ray can do to help the player.

When you fill your special meter, you can send Ray to another player, and Ray will try to convince that player that you are somewhere you aren't.

So he'll say, "Oi, friend. Check this out. That guy you're looking for is right over there to your left. Yeah. Keep going that way. He's definitely there and not some place else."

I know the issue all of you are going to have with this. You think it's a boy who cried wolf situation, right? Eventually, they won't believe you.

AND IT TOTALLY IS A BOY WHO CRIED WOLF SITUATION. You may remember the last time the boy cried wolf, a wolf was really there. So here's the fun thing. About 33% of the time, Ray will actually point to where you are.

This will play mind games on your opponents. "Is the guy really there? Or is he somewhere else? I don't know!"

Confusion. Max confusion. Thanks, Ray!

"No problem, SquidKid. You're my best friend and I love you."

redbunnyer

Inkster Jr.
Probably the only thing it absolutely needs is either higher damage output or better handling. A reticle would also help.
I think that better handing would be better than increased damage. Even if the beam has high damage, if you can't control it well you won't do anything.

AnonymousSquidKid

Inkster Jr.
All good ideas, as far as usage tips, I go to spawn to use it, that way it is a relatively faster turn rate and is easier to aim. Same goes for tenta missiles, when i super jump to spawn to use it I get everybody locked

redbunnyer

Inkster Jr.
All good ideas, as far as usage tips, I go to spawn to use it, that way it is a relatively faster turn rate and is easier to aim. Same goes for tenta missiles, when i super jump to spawn to use it I get everybody locked
Yeah I do the same as well, gives you a much larger target area.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Probably the only thing it absolutely needs is either higher damage output or better handling. A reticle would also help.
Or a Ray-ticle. Ray the Friendly Sting Ray could become a reticle and point you towards enemies and also friends.

"Hey, pal! They're this way. In this general direction! Come on!"

Ray will have roughly 70 hours of unique dialogue, including his complete backstory and a history of his family. They were once a wealthy line of nobility but fell from grace when Ray's great-great-great-rayfather wouldn't partake in the treacherous blowhole-stabbing of the Whale Queen. Ever since, his family has been on the run, but always willing to help anyone who might be in need.

Each player who equips a weapon with the sting Ray special will take a fifteen part personality quiz (one hundred multiple choice questions per part) to dictate how Ray will interact with your player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom