• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Weird Drift Issue

sockz/bubble

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8303-7188-0905
I keep having this problem where my camera will start drifting but only during a game. Sometimes I'll queue up and the issue will start, and it will either stop when the game ends or if i close my game and reopen it. Usually with drift it's persistent and can't be fixed just by reopening your game - do y'all think I should just get a new controller anyway?

1O7JR

Inkster Jr.
If it's not a special edition controller you can probably just send it to Nintendo for repair and they'll send you a new one. I mention the special edition because I've heard of people sending theirs in and getting a regular procon back. Lol. You can probably also find somewhere local to fix it for you if need be. But if you can't do any of these then you'd have to clean it out yourself or buy a new one.

underlashes

Inkling
Pronouns
they/them
I had a similar issue with my pro controller, except for some reason it only happened when I was viewing the map in game. I'd see the camera cursor start sliding away as soon as the map was up but it wasn't drifting elsewhere. Instead of sending it in (they'll usually replace it for you rather than fixing your specific controller), I followed a tutorial to open it and it was super easy to clean and i've had no problems since.

Last edited:

Tree

Inkling
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-3523-5844-5506
that sounds to me like an issue with interference (i.e. the switch communicating over wifi is creating signals that interfere with the controllers signal). Is it happening in other games (particularly offline games)? You might see improvements if you play on ethernet (if you are not already) & airplane mode and/or by plugging in the controller (if it is a pro controller). Also reducing the number of devices that are connected to bluetooth/wifi around it can help. There is a bunch of things ppl suggested when chara had issues in this thread: https://x.com/ProChara/status/1698425530851459192?s=20 and this https://x.com/ProChara/status/1699638476491149672?s=20

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
i have a similar issue occasionally, my camera will start drifting continuously to the left once a game starts. if i jostle the camera stick/controller around for a little bit it'll go back to normal. i'm not sure why it happens or how exactly to fix it, but it's never happened on my previous pro controllers. no idea lol

XOR Lando

Inkling
that sounds to me like an issue with interference (i.e. the switch communicating over wifi is creating signals that interfere with the controllers signal). Is it happening in other games (particularly offline games)? You might see improvements if you play on ethernet (if you are not already) & airplane mode and/or by plugging in the controller (if it is a pro controller). Also reducing the number of devices that are connected to bluetooth/wifi around it can help. There is a bunch of things ppl suggested when chara had issues in this thread: https://x.com/ProChara/status/1698425530851459192?s=20 and this https://x.com/ProChara/status/1699638476491149672?s=20
I am having a similar issue with my controller, where it will randomly start pulling left. I narrowed it down a bit and am able to recreate it in the calibrate control sticks menu. It only starts drifting when I move the right joystick to the Upper Right section at a partial tilt from center. So every time that i would move slowly or look around from on an inked wall as soon as I went to kid mode it would pull left.
You can see on Chara's video that as soon as he moves his joystick right slowly it starts to pull left (13-14 sec mark). It might be that he is already fighting it in the moment before it flicks left. But once it starts it can get pretty aggressive.

I have taken apart my controller and cleaned it up as much as i could. Removing any dust or hair in the controller and joysticks with tweezers or with an electric air duster and the issue remains just as bad. I am noticing that while plugged in the pull left is less extreme but still doesnt sit center.

Ive been considering modding it to hall effect but there hasnt been a compatible,consistent, or reliable joystick replacement. I was following another forum that was attempting this with some hall effect joystick on alibaba but each one wasnt compatible. The next option was to replace it with the ifixit pro controller joystick replacement. Which would be the cheaper option, but even though I am able to it might be more worth buying a new controller since the comments i have seen after the repair havent been inspiring.

I also have gulikit kk2 pro that ive been using meanwhile but its not quite the same and am constantly worried its not 100% with gyro and button presses. The A button squeaks when i try swim up walls quickly, so annoying lol. if anybody has insight on that, it would be great.

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
i have a similar issue occasionally, my camera will start drifting continuously to the left once a game starts. if i jostle the camera stick/controller around for a little bit it'll go back to normal. i'm not sure why it happens or how exactly to fix it, but it's never happened on my previous pro controllers. no idea lol
i forgot this thread existed until someone else replied to it and this is mostly off topic lol, but i did recently learn why this happens to me! its something abt the pro controller having some kind of built in stabilization for playing on moving vehicles so your camera doesn't move too much just from the movement of the vehicle. the reason why this had never happened before is because i have a spinny chair now. to prevent this i just have to not be spinning around before i load into a match. the more you know

Umbreonfan

Senior Squid
Can the devices just have to be off to not mess with the connection?

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I am having a similar issue with my controller, where it will randomly start pulling left. I narrowed it down a bit and am able to recreate it in the calibrate control sticks menu. It only starts drifting when I move the right joystick to the Upper Right section at a partial tilt from center. So every time that i would move slowly or look around from on an inked wall as soon as I went to kid mode it would pull left.
You can see on Chara's video that as soon as he moves his joystick right slowly it starts to pull left (13-14 sec mark). It might be that he is already fighting it in the moment before it flicks left. But once it starts it can get pretty aggressive.

I have taken apart my controller and cleaned it up as much as i could. Removing any dust or hair in the controller and joysticks with tweezers or with an electric air duster and the issue remains just as bad. I am noticing that while plugged in the pull left is less extreme but still doesnt sit center.

Ive been considering modding it to hall effect but there hasnt been a compatible,consistent, or reliable joystick replacement. I was following another forum that was attempting this with some hall effect joystick on alibaba but each one wasnt compatible. The next option was to replace it with the ifixit pro controller joystick replacement. Which would be the cheaper option, but even though I am able to it might be more worth buying a new controller since the comments i have seen after the repair havent been inspiring.

I also have gulikit kk2 pro that ive been using meanwhile but its not quite the same and am constantly worried its not 100% with gyro and button presses. The A button squeaks when i try swim up walls quickly, so annoying lol. if anybody has insight on that, it would be great.
See this tutorial for how to get Nintendo to fix the joycons for you

they can't keep the service up forever (probably) so you should probably get it fixed before they announce the switch 2, or at least before they release it.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
See this tutorial for how to get Nintendo to fix the joycons for you

they can't keep the service up forever (probably) so you should probably get it fixed before they announce the switch 2, or at least before they release it.
(also, is it generally more helpful for people if I link videos like I did here or if I embed them?)

Cephalobro

There is a way to fix them permanently, or at least, give you more mileage before having to send them to Nintendo to fix it (it will take DIY, but if you do it right, you will have a perfectly functional Joycon for a long time), all it takes is putting a piece of cardboard (can't be too thick), or some kind of paper to prevent the joystick itself from getting further away from the contact point.

There are tutorials on YouTube to show you how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom