• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Weird things that help you play better

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
I'm curious if any of you have a 'one weird trick' that you feel improves your gameplay, even stuff that's superstitious or placebo.

Last year around this time, my schedule was way more open and I was tunneling really hard into learning anarchy modes every morning. I was also eating this specific store brand of kimchi a lot. It's been on sale recently so I've picked it up again, and I've noticed that now every time I eat this kimchi, I feel like I do significantly better in anarchy. Super silly, right?

My best theory is that maybe spicy food (I'm not big on hot-spicy food generally but kimchi is worth it) gets the blood flowing in a way that keeps me more alert/focused. But it could easily just be a placebo or a memory association thing. Either way I need all the help I can get, so I'll take it.

Anyone have anything similar?

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
I wear my super cute squid earrings I made myself. Gets me in a good mood, knowing I'm the cutest player in the lobby. And then I make everyone explode :)

Mx_Diva

Splatoon Playing Spinster
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Mx_Diva
Switch Friend Code
SW-6445-1547-4212
Singing Taylor Swift songs keeps my hand steady when charging weapons.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Weirdly specific, but I play with no socks or sweaters, just tshirts + pants, even if it's cold. I start to get too warm really fast otherwise, and I think that makes me play worse??

It's probably because the game is intense enough to literally get my blood pumping, which is kind of unhinged to think about

Wait am I literally a sweaty player?? Oh no

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
sitting at my exact tv, at the exact same distance from it as usual. anything else and motion controls will feel off for me even though i know the size of the screen i'm looking at is the real problem lmao

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
Weirdly specific, but I play with no socks or sweaters, just tshirts + pants, even if it's cold. I start to get too warm really fast otherwise, and I think that makes me play worse??

It's probably because the game is intense enough to literally get my blood pumping, which is kind of unhinged to think about

Wait am I literally a sweaty player?? Oh no
i'm the exact opposite actually, i need to wear my sweater even if it's warm in my room because my hands feel way less capable when i'm cold

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
i'm the exact opposite actually, i need to wear my sweater even if it's warm in my room because my hands feel way less capable when i'm cold
Yup, can confirm we're exact opposites haha

Lisku

Inkling Commander
if you keep losing, take a break. go on a walk or something and then get back on.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Don't care about winning. Whenever I start caring then I play worse (and don't learn as much!)

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Haha, I actually know a few other people who have this experience too (getting overheated while playing) so at least you're not alone. I wonder if some of our brains just run like overclocked CPUs that need proper cooling to perform optimally. Personally I'm in the other camp of needing to be warmed up (literally), but I'm also one of those people who is just cold all the time so that's probably not an objective data point.

I wear my super cute squid earrings I made myself. Gets me in a good mood, knowing I'm the cutest player in the lobby. And then I make everyone explode :)
Awwww would you happen to have a picture of the earrings? (No pressure I am just curious lol, I love stuff like that.)

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
Haha, I actually know a few other people who have this experience too (getting overheated while playing) so at least you're not alone. I wonder if some of our brains just run like overclocked CPUs that need proper cooling to perform optimally. Personally I'm in the other camp of needing to be warmed up (literally), but I'm also one of those people who is just cold all the time so that's probably not an objective data point.

Awwww would you happen to have a picture of the earrings? (No pressure I am just curious lol, I love stuff like that.)
20240316_105409.jpg
They look a little janky, but that's what makes them so charming! Also in the process of making autobomb earrings

mizuta_ahato

Inkling
Pronouns
she/her
i have a bit of a 'lucky routine'. it's strange: i crack my fingers every round, even if they won't pop, which i justify as 'flexibility', then i smile and try to think positive even if it's a whole team of .52 gals, because negative thoughts set you up for a loss from the start, because you're expecting the worst and so give in to the worst.
like squib_now said, i also try not to think about winning or if i'm on a winning streak because i feel like my flow breaks when i become aware of it! and consciously thinking about winning makes me stressed if things go wrong.

Tereox

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
I tend to listen to podcasts while I play.

What also helps me is doing wrist stretches before I start playing. Helps me get in the mood and I don't ruin my hands while playing inkbrush XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom