• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What about Splatoon made you want it?

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've seen it mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but the fact this games main focus is not having blood and guts flying around is great. I mean I still love TF2, but I like the more colorful and playful look of Splatoon better.

Ookami Hajime

Inkster Jr.
Beautiful art, charming characters, and great customization.
Inklings are pretty adorable, haha. I love the fact that the game looks so strategic and I love the idea of such crafty cooperation.
Customization is one of the biggest things though.

MatrixChicken

Inkling
NNID
MatrixChicken
The squid movement. It just looks so fluid, jumping out of the ink and transforming back into inkling form... I think just moving around will feel great.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
The squid gameplay and the fact the game focuses more on stage control then simply KOing.

I also like the urban Japan feel the game is sporting, it reminds me of Jet Set Radio. Too bad we won't understand, understand, understand, understand, understand, understand, the concept of love (ugh!).

michael_goldfish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
michael_godfish
I'm honestly just excited that I'll have friends to play with this time. My only other online fps experience was bioshock 2 and I was all alone ;-; but not this time!

theblackbird

Senior Squid
NNID
ProminenceF
I just liked the style in general, really. I enjoyed the look, the appearance of gameplay, all of that.

(Also holy ****, Micheal_Goldfish? Dude, I saw you crush the WR in DKCTF at that Showcase Race. Ye gods, you're inhuman.)

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
For me it was mostly the artstyle and character design. As I saw more and more about how the game played it looked more like a must buy for me

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It looks like a mix of Jet Set Radio, Portal, Team Fortress 2 with a pleasing art style on top of that. I was sold the moment I watched the first trailer.

StarKun

Full Squid
AAAALLLLL OF IIIIIT

To be honest the game confused me when it was shown at E3, until I saw the gameplay. After that, I was extremely hooked.

SilverEra

Inkling Cadet
Does anybody else don't mind if the voice chat isn't implemented or am I the only one?

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
The customization, the paint, man the paint stuff really got me. I love staring at paint.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Does anybody else don't mind if the voice chat isn't implemented or am I the only one?
I dont mind it too much but on the other tentacle I think it would have been good to have it at least but keep it off by default or kept to friends rooms.

SilverEra

Inkling Cadet
I dont mind it too much but on the other tentacle I think it would have been good to have it at least but keep it off by default or kept to friends rooms.
Good point now that you've mention it. If only they'd have thought of this thoroughly, there wouldn't be a problem about it.

Geistbox

Full Squid
It was really just a constant buildup of many things from the very moment those ink splatters were showing up on the Digital Event.

A lot of things could have been said really about how Nintendo were still stuck in the rut of not making many new efforts into some brand new triple A IP. Wii U was generally just hiding the strides for me that year with all the promises of upcoming games and despite that I generally got the nagging sense that this being a floundering console meant that most of the ideas wouldn't be huge dares on their part. But I was surprised enough to be proven wrong.

My first instinct was that it was some sort of sequel to de Blob but Nintendo never owned that franchise, and after seeing the squids I thought it was building up to some sort of Mario game with bloopers... But nope. Instead it's some kid with a paintball gun. I was confused as hell at that point but gradually as the directors went through the game's mechanics and what it's about it just started to hit all the notes.

It felt carefully crafted and deliberate. "Paintball guns" felt like something people would just use to joke around to the idea of Nintendo doing a third person shooter so at first I felt like this was a little bit too clean cut, but then they showed the actual mechanics - the ability to move between the ink, the fact that it wasn't purely around deathmatch, the ability to jump straight into the action and so forth. It just came together like a marriage. The aforementioned Nintendo assumption was thrown together in a way that felt truly like a Nintendo "solution". I immediately felt like I "got" it. And the trailer just sold me at that point. It helped that the game had an instantly memorable style to it. I instantly came to love the Inklings. I loved the looks of it but I hesitated to think of Splatoon at the time as Nintendo suddenly treating the game as their next all-star IP.

But I was, again, proven wrong when it showed up the next time to have a single player campaign in tow. And the constant push that Nintendo's been giving it since. It's affirmed it wholly and fully - this is the next big thing from them that I'd been waiting for. They treated this title with every ounce of respect that they could muster, and I couldn't have been more thankful for that fact. The idea of characters like the Inklings turning into all-star characters for the company has me so excited.

Just the fact that this is the first non-Mario related franchise to get Amiibo alone says so much to me about how they are treating this. And I truly hope it pays off in every way. I want to see this go big, and the fan support is already making me incredibly stoked for that possibility. Here's hoping Nintendo will do good on the game, and that they'll keep supporting it.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Pretty much everything, yeah. :rolleyes: @Geistbox summed it up really nicely. It was just a buildup of excitement. At first I thought it looked odd, yet interesting. I was a little annoyed it was getting so much coverage at E3 but I understood why, and it eventually just grew on me. From then, I was excited to see any news about it and I was hoping for a while that a Splatoon forum would pop up but I didn't actually find out about this place until this year. I'm happy I signed up because it looks like a lot of people are eager to play and chat about the game, and I'm betting the game and community here will be great.

I think what really got me was the addition of the single-player, the customisation, and the sheer amount of colour and maps that look like fun. I guess to sum it up in a small sentence, what got me was the amount of personality that was beaming from this game, and the amount of fun it looks like it carries.

BioSplat

Inkling
NNID
GraveEclipse567
I really like the style of it, and the multiplayer seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
The ingenious concept combined with the surprising amount of polish and the unique aesthetic is what did it for me. Right off the bat it was like, how has nobody done this yet?

It's also filling a gap in Nintendo's library that feels natural for them, and with a new IP to boot. Everything about it has been promising.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
The competitive aspect of Splatoon is probably the biggest reason i'm getting this game. Having tournament/clan matches seems like a blast :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom