• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What are the BEST Team Setups in Splatoon? Discuss.

SOUP

Inkling
NNID
SOUP_TO_GO
Having a pair of Shooters has to work similarly to having a pair of Soldiers in TF2. One has to take watch of the central focus points of the map, while the other runs and helps the team Roller with nooks and crannies. The last member is interchangeably a Charger or high-DPS Shooter, depending on just how bad the other teammates are at self defense.

So basically, I'm trying to say is that for Turf War:
-Rapid fire Shooter: Push
-Rapid fire Shooter: Roaming
-Roller: Hard support, cleanup crew
-Charger/DPS Shooter: Picks and defense

But really you should just take your favorite weapon and run ripshod.

In Point Control, your Roamer needs to change from an offensive terror to Mobility Patrol: Don't play to the goal, but instead make absolutely sure that choke points and hot spots are coated walls and floor in your ink, so that the rest of the team has to worry as little as possible about their movement options. Killing and capturing is for your teammates, not you. Rollers will probably lose out to a ranged Shooter or a paintbrush, adjust your Roller's weapon as needed. No DPS Shooters. Roll a Charger, preferably a Splatterscope (what was i thinking i hate that gun why did i recommend a gun i hate), but whichever gun your Charger can kill the hardest with. Pick off everyone that is after your teammates.

So for Splat Zones:
-Any Shooter: Point control and maintenance, rocksteady defense
-Roaming Shooter: Mobility Patrol
-Paintbrush or 52. Gal: DAMAGE
-Charger: Picks and snipes, guard your teammates

This team is no secrets and all consistency.

Last edited:

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
get off the roller train people, they're only good in pubs where people overextend and come to you

Pro | Forge Pro | Bubbler | Scope is just straight up better than any roller setup and that's just the default comp our group is looking at before any map-specific tweaks. in other words, it's the minimum standard, not even close to the best for any given map.

you can change either of the pros out for a different weapon (gal, squelcher) depending on the map and the jr/blaster out for a kraken weapon if the map is not conducive to bubbling

Squelchior

Inkling
NNID
dekudesu
Back from the depths, and I can safely confirm and argue a couple of points in the thread; (Ranked Battle)

Splattershot Pro and Gallon type weapons IMO are the most versatile weapons in the game. Splattershot arguably has a much better DPS than Jet Squelcher, lesser but still incredibly viable range and Forge/Regular can be insanely interchangeable where sniping/campy gameplay is promoted by Point Sensor, and Pro is an absolute slayer/attacker.
The Gals. also possess very passable range that can challenge all of the right sniping points or camping points. Their massive DPS, with the right decisions, and tactics, can mow through any shootout. Each one has very good use, the specials can be used by play style preference without affecting the original prowess of the Gallon.
Right now, teams with a solid core formed by these rule Ranked Battle.

Another thing that I'm seeing is Special Charge Up/Bubbler Blaster/Cold-Blooded Dark Urban Gilet in the higher ranks. The Blasters are odd OHKO weapons that are pretty niche. However, one blaster has gained incredible usage, just like the now SUPER popular Splattershot Jr. simply because of Bubbler. As said before, it's a game changing special, which can turn ambushes into massacres.

Rollers, are a walking debate right now. For now, I'd have to say that teams that hold a Roller are still very balanced. Today, I played several matches, all players using Shooters (Ranked B+). However, when a Krak-On and E-Litre 3K appeared on the next match against our band of Blaster/Squelcher/Gallon/Pro we were quite outplayed. What I'm trying to say is that Solo Roller is absolutely horrible; but when the foes kept their sides of the paths (Port Mackerel) intact, and pushed us back, the Roller was able to come in and deal heavy casualties to our team. Roller is a cleaner, yes, but not a lot of people over here realise how much offensive potential Rollers have with the right decisions. Ninja Squid, hide and insta-kill is basic but it works for rollers much better too. Echolocator support on a Krak-On is way too devastating too. Beacons are horribly underlooked too.

Team balance in Splatoon isn't a matter of having all the roles covered and having good counter weapons; obviously, it's the team's synergy.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
so we had a nice little theorycrafting session last night that found its way into a turf war pub game. we found a few interesting things.

first, the tentatek is top tier, unquestionably. best ttk at close range (beats the gal in practice since the gal has such a slow RoF making misses hurt dps a lot more). best offensive sub. one of the best offensive specials. builds special super fast. reliable accuracy. fast inking, resulting in high mobility. no dependency on gear abilities. not completely shut down by long range weapons. really, the only downside is that you will die a lot.

second, the squiffer is insane when used offensively by someone who can aim. it's got a similar range to a pro, but its inking pattern and special (bubbler, lel) are both very good and, of course, it oneshots after a very short time. you can get a bubbler only a few seconds slower than a jr while also having a very fast time to mid due to the quick, reliable, linear inking pattern.

put them both together and you have a fast bubbler that doesn't suck at everything else that it does, plus a weapon with the fastest effective ttk in the game, plus an extremely strong special that charges quickly... and then you back that up with wail/echo/strike (pick two) from your defensive players and things happen

as for the defensive line, you have a few options. kelp scope can basically lock down entire quadrants of the map and can build special super fast with the sprinkler (daily reminder that wail is basically the best defensive special in the game with the maps we currently have--it's only weak on kelp dome). then you can roll either the regular pro (for inkstrike), either squelcher (one has wall, the other has kraken), or maybe a blaster.

tl;dr: Classic Squiffer | Tentatek | Pro | Kelp Scope

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
The most basic balanced team is one of all four classes:

Splattershot
Splat Roller
Splat Charger
Inkbrush

I count the Inkbrush as its own class (for now, until more brush weapons are added in this game or in future ones) because both it's playstyle and role are so different from other Rollers.

Now, that's the most basic setup, but they can be switched out for any variation of their class, even maybe the Painbrush for another Roller. So, for example, the Classic Squiffer, 0.52 Gal. Deco, Gold Dynamo Roller, and Inkbrush could be a pretty balanced team. The Shooters should mix their roles of covering ground and approaching foes, the Rollers should focus on covering as much ground as possible and meleeing with unsuspecting foes, but Rollers should not approach someone who can see them, especially if that person has a range advantage. The Chargers should focus on linear spaces (such as narrow hallways), making long paths for people to swim to the middle quickly (especially in Splat Zones and Tower control) and of course, finding high ground and getting kills, especially on Rollers who probably can't reach you. Use the small charges to cover area more quickly as you go around. The Inkbrushes should be mainly a support but still a huge help, getting to the middle fastest and making a path for others to swim behind them, painting walls to get to high ground (especially helpful to Chargers) and getting small areas that Shooters can't get to but could potentially turn the game around. Also, using the brush's melee attack on campers isn't a bad idea either.

PixL

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PixLPaintBrush24
A Brush or Roller, A Charger, and 2 Shooters. Or, A Brush, A Roller, A Charger, and A Blaster(Shooter in general). These are from experience.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I have said this before In another thread but the inkbrush and roller should NOT be interchangeable. A standard roller's job should be to maintain ink coverage on territory you own, the inkbrush however is more for support when fighting. The inkbrush can easily flank a team and could prove as a "pick class" to try and take down (or pester) high priority targets. This weapon would more easily replace a charger, trading off area denial for flanking opportunity, but serving the same purpose in "picking" off important players.

Edit: In splat zones I believe a roller is kinda pointless, I think a dynamo or inkbrush should definitely replace the standard roller (or even another "class" of weapon).

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I have said this before In another thread but the inkbrush and roller should NOT be interchangeable. A standard roller's job should be to maintain ink cover age on territory you own, the inkbrush however is more for support when fighting. The inkbrush can easily flank a team and could prove as a "pick class" to try and take down (or pester) high priority targets. This weapon would more easily replace a charger, trading off area denial for flanking opportunity, but serving the same purpose in "picking" off important players.

Edit: In splat zones I believe a roller is kinda pointless, I think a dynamo or inkbrush should definitely replace the standard roller (or even another "class" of weapon).
I agree about the Standard Roller, but what about the Carbon Roller? It looks to be the opposite of the Dynamo Roller, with a thiner path, shorter range, but better speed and handling. It may be able to be interchangeable with the Inkbrush to an extent, more so on small maps.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I got into a team of 2 chargers ans 2 rollers in splatzone against a team of full fast-medium weapons (aerosprays, splattershots, a dual squelcher or blaster) and it worked surprinsingly well. The rollers rushed to the front and the chargers supported them from a distance. Once we took control of the splatzone the chargers would try to take out incoming enemies, anyone who managed to slip by was greeted head on by a roller. It was a massacre. The maps favoured us, I think we fought on Arowana Mall and Wally´s Warehouse (not sure about this one), it surely wouldn´t have worked so well in the Skatepark. It´s important to note that everyone on the team seemed to know what they were doing and understood the strategy right away. It´s great when things click like this :)

Ultimatum

Full Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Generic setup can be 1 roller 1 charger 2 shooters. Either the charger or a shooter needs to run a more utility setup (Splash Walls Disruptors etc.) Some maps (Arowanna) can call for a 2 charger 2 shooter setup. 1 roller 3 shooter w/ a Jet Squelcher can also work on virtually every map. A diverse setup of specials is great. Ideal off the top of my head would be Echo, Inkstrike, Inkzooka x2 for maximum game control.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Generic setup can be 1 roller 1 charger 2 shooters. Either the charger or a shooter needs to run a more utility setup (Splash Walls Disruptors etc.) Some maps (Arowanna) can call for a 2 charger 2 shooter setup. 1 roller 3 shooter w/ a Jet Squelcher can also work on virtually every map. A diverse setup of specials is great. Ideal off the top of my head would be Echo, Inkstrike, Inkzooka x2 for maximum game control.
A Bomb Rush isn't a bad thing to have though (Splat, Burst, or Suction will do).

° Moteki

¤MÆL°
NNID
Shoctopus
Though I do enjoy a blaster on my team, I generally feel a lot more comfortable with a Roller, preferably Dynamo ( they are easier to cover as a sniper), a gal (deco) and splattershot tenk or any high rate weapons with inkstrike or bubbler ( for their own good)

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
Having what I call an "AABC" format is important, but overall I think right now that team composition is pretty dynamic, we'll see how things change over time of course

A members are your automatic fire weapons; good examples are SSPro, tentatek, and gals. Optimally you will want to choose at least one offensive weapon such as the tentatek but the other slot can be altered depending on different maps/teammates. Can go long range with SSP .92 or squelcher if you want, just straight up defense with .52, or just go balls deep and have another offensive tool with either another tentatek or SSJR

The B member is your dedicated sniper. Currently, both e liters and Splatterscopes are the main options for this, but depending on your other members you can run squiffer with bubble.

The C member is the wildcard. This slot exists to compliment the core 3 members' strengths and weaknesses. Either an offensive, defensive, or support. Rollers and the squiffer are main contenders for this category, as well as any rapid fire weapon depending on your team composure.

examples
(all in splat zones)

Tentatek - SSPro - Custom E Liter - Classic Squiffer

Most well rounded team, nothing goes to waste here. Tentatek is all around perfect offense, backed up by SSP at ranged length and squiffer to provide bubbles to help with the charge towards any desired area. E Liter is used here over Scope for 2 reasons. 1. Kraken creates another way to just run into a zone if the squiffer doesn't have teammates to share bubbles with, preventing your team from losing momentum and 2. the faster charge time of the scope is unnecessary thanks to the fact that there is a squiffer and SSP which already have good range, leaving the e liter to only have to camp and take the overly long range shots. Mall is a good example of this.

Tentatek - .52 Gal - Squiffer - Krak On Roller

Similar setup to before. Conventional sniper is traded for a roller. Struggles a little with overly offensive presure with the SSP which is why I have the .52 here instead to help shut down approach options. You can still take an SSP with if you want though or even .96 for sprinklers

Tentatek - Tentatek - Scope - Squiff

Offense to the max. Suction bombs flying everywhere, its a good time. Just so that you don't lose to Gals Scope is used over custom e liter for the useful wail to add further pressure and for the charge time that lets it carry more against ranged teams. You could go Gold Dynamo over Squiffer for more defense, but the bubble is very useful so I don't think that its a worthy trade-off

SSP - .96 Gal - Scope - Krak On Roller

Opposite of before, very range-based team. .96 is chosen over another SSP for sprinkler, which helps a lot with ink coverage and to distract people so you can pick them off, or allow the roller to barge in. Scope helps limit approach options for tentateks on places like Port, plus the custom E Liter wouldn't have much use anyway thanks to the roller already having kraken. Roller works as the primary close range "shotgun" weapon, covers points well, and of course kraken is nice to have on pretty much any team.

SheriffCrazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SheriffCrazy
Why is everyone on scope around here? No love for the E-Liter 3ks. It has the best range. The charge time is long for the long range but you don't have to charge it up all the way to fire. It makes the other "sniper" class weapons look short ranged.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Why is everyone on scope around here? No love for the E-Liter 3ks. It has the best range. The charge time is long for the long range but you don't have to charge it up all the way to fire. It makes the other "sniper" class weapons look short ranged.
I agree. That's the sniper I want to main; the normal one, not the Custom. But to compromise, there will be an ELiter-3K Scope coming soon.

SheriffCrazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SheriffCrazy
I agree. That's the sniper I want to main; the normal one, not the Custom. But to compromise, there will be an ELiter-3K Scope coming soon.
The scopes are way overrated. Its not like you can shoot these weapons from full map anyways. I feel like the last thing you need in a frantic fire fight is limited view. I use motion controls and I get a LOT of quick snipes. I couldn't do this with a scope. Using a scope ruins the fun.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
The scopes are way overrated. Its not like you can shoot these weapons from full map anyways. I feel like the last thing you need in a frantic fire fight is limited view. I use motion controls and I get a LOT of quick snipes. I couldn't do this with a scope. Using a scope ruins the fun.
I don't like scopes either. It disorients my vision.

Friendly Face-Off

Full Squid
NNID
taikolover-desu
Seeing this conversation, personally I see more inkbrushes and rollers than guns, so that's why I prefer something that isn't overrated ;)
For instance, I use the Tentatek Splattershot.

At least, that's for Turf Wars... not sure about the others ^^"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom