• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What are the BEST Team Setups in Splatoon? Discuss.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I feel like the place to start is two 52 gal deco's, a roller, and a wildcard depending on the map.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
One thing this thread isn't touching on enough is the way a Special can change the tides pretty quickly, for example a Killer Wail can force enemies to pull from the Splat Zone while the allied team floods and takes over the place.I feel we're rating these weapons on a "everyone fights for themselves and teammates are just assistants," and, until we get that August update, this IS the case, but I feel once actual Squads are formed and teams has proper methods of communicating and supporting one another, things like the Echolocator and Killer Wail, as well as the Ink Wall or Disruptor-items that aid both you and your teammates, will shoot up in popularity, while the Kraken and things like it, will become less popular.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
One thing this thread isn't touching on enough is the way a Special can change the tides pretty quickly, for example a Killer Wail can force enemies to pull from the Splat Zone while the allied team floods and takes over the place.I feel we're rating these weapons on a "everyone fights for themselves and teammates are just assistants," and, until we get that August update, this IS the case, but I feel once actual Squads are formed and teams has proper methods of communicating and supporting one another, things like the Echolocator and Killer Wail, as well as the Ink Wall or Disruptor-items that aid both you and your teammates, will shoot up in popularity, while the Kraken and things like it, will become less popular.
Bubbler only gets better when team matches become available lol. I feel like Kraken is the only thing that might decrease in popularity from it.

SheriffCrazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SheriffCrazy
I can agree with the kraken losing it's popularity.

Can you imagine just a constant rotation of echolocation. As soon as one ends another begins.

Lol four Killer Wails lined up.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
How many decent ranged weapons have a mobile spawn point to replace the roll of a Kraken? I believe that two 52 gals is standard, but a mobile spawn point may be important enough to substitute something else as long as it isn't too weak.

Joetip 123

Inkling
NNID
Irisheyes77
This is a team I was in: kelp charger, octoshot, .96 gal, and custom range blaster.

Dawn Wall

so many dynamos || soɯɐuʎp ʎuɐɯ os
NNID
246_Tritone
there is no one "best" team composition since a lot of this depends on the gametype being played. however, there are a few weapons that pair up extremely well together. one example i commonly refer to when discussing this concept is the zink mini splatling (zimi) + custom range blaster (crb) core. individually, each weapon is strong, but has a few weak points. looking at the zimi, it can paint extremely well, assist teammates in acquiring kills with its disruptors, and initiate pushes with bubbles. however, the fact that the zimi needs to charge before firing makes forcing people out from behind corners and defending at point blank without a bubble at hand a bit dicey. shifting the focus a bit, the custom range blaster has a very respectable ohko hitbox, access to splat bombs (which makes cqc much easier), and a reliable "get off me" button in the kraken. as a trade-off, the crb is a very mediocre painter at best, which makes breaking back in after being locked out quite a challenge. when these two weapons (zimi + crb) are paired up together in one team, they can cover for each other's weaknesses and enhance each other's strengths. the zimi's painting ability and disruptors open up new kill opportunities for the crb while the crb covers the zimi's point-blank defenses with its splat bombs. as a bonus, since these two weapons have access to invincibility specials, they can initiate and maintain strong pushes.

this is just one example of an effective core. i'm certain that you (the readers) can come up with many more.

SonnyBlueBalls

Full Squid
NNID
ReaganMcClellan
For Towers: 4 things with killer wails in their kits.

Im not seeing any love for splatlings, are they just not good for teams?

Last edited:

Dawn Wall

so many dynamos || soɯɐuʎp ʎuɐɯ os
NNID
246_Tritone
Im not seeing any love for splatlings, are they just not good for teams?
regarding splatlings, it really depends on the gametype and team composition the splatling user has to work with. splatlings in general are really popular in the jp scene, and the zink mini splatling (zimi) is regarded by many as one of the best weapons in the entire game.

SonnyBlueBalls

Full Squid
NNID
ReaganMcClellan
regarding splatlings, it really depends on the gametype and team composition the splatling user has to work with. splatlings in general are really popular in the jp scene, and the zink mini splatling (zimi) is regarded by many as one of the best weapons in the entire game.
Good to know.

I was worried that splatlings were non meta and not considered to be great considering i like them so much. Maybe thats a bit naive/silly.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Good to know.

I was worried that splatlings were non meta and not considered to be great considering i like them so much. Maybe thats a bit naive/silly.
A lot of people main Splatlings and use them to great success, like Satan from Dank and Co, Bleck, and Hitzel with his Zimi. I use them a lot as well, and find them to be great supporters and backline. They do not, however, replace the charger (unless it's a Hydra). I think that's important to keep in mind with team comps is that you're simply giving the Splatling a more defensive role akin to Squelchers or .96 gals, just with a bit more emphasis on supporting and painting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom