what are yall's thoughts on flick stick?

nineball

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
video explanation of fortnite's implementation of this camera control style (explanation starts at 1:28)

in short, flick stick is a camera control style that allows the player to quickly and precisely rotate the camera horizontally by moving the right control stick around its edge. this camera control scheme enables players to turn the camera quicker and more precisely than what can be achieved with traditional right stick camera controls and is used in conjunction with gyro aiming.

i've recently started using this control style in some of the fps games i play on pc via steam input, and while really unintuitive at first, i ended up being really proficient with it after a week of using it. i really love being able to do quick large turns without straining my wrists, at least compared to splatoon where, even at +5 motion sensitivity, you have to rotate the controller 90 degrees in order to do a quick 180 degree turn.

in my opinion, i'd really like to see this scheme implemented in splatoon 4, especially since it is implemented in a game as big as fortnite. although i won't keep my (and my wrists 😢) hopes up too high, because judging by the above video's release date, nintendo had a few months to consider implementing flick stick, and there is a chance they decided against implementing it for one reason or another.

what are yall's thoughts on this?

Grekly

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
More ways to customize your controls to your taste is just a good thing in general. But like you said Nintendo haven't really added more control options to Splatoon and it just seems strange to me especially considering what other games are doing with their controls.

neonscreenlight

Semi-Pro Squid
after watching the video i do think i'd really enjoy this control scheme but idk how willing nintendo would be to implement it

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I have my sens at +4/5 solely for turning around quickly without breaking my wrists
I would love being able to turn around quickly while still being able to have a lower sens

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
with max sensitivity im somewhag confortable enough quickly flicking the camera behind myself, which it seems would be the biggest advantage of using this style of aiming, as gyro + sticks aim can do other angles fine. other than that it looks like a great way for customizing the way you aim to be just the way you want, and probably a good way for sticks players to have something that’s as good as gyro.

as much as i love gyro it hurts my brain sometimes so if this is an equal alternative or something nice to have as an addition to gyro i don’t see anything wrong with it being in the next game, if it’s a toggle option because it might not be for everyone.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
other than that it looks like a great way for customizing the way you aim to be just the way you want, and probably a good way for sticks players to have something that’s as good as gyro.
You would still need gyro for the up and down aim, and for the precise part of the aim. This would not work by itself.
While I would like people who don't use gyro aim to have some sort of better aiming system, I don't know what it could be.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i was thinking of it as you do the flick input, which from smash bros its a fast full angle stick movement, then it goes to regular aiming. if you don’t do the flick input it doesn’t activate and you aim like always. plus, once it flicks wouldn’t it just allow you to start aiming normally anyway since it only needs to move the camera once?

Last edited:

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
oh i thought it was like smash bros where a fast full angle movement was a flick, and the points where it activates are customizable
if it worked like that i was seeing it possible on sticks only especially if it goes back to normal aiming after the flick
i just realized i explained this so badly gimme a sec
ik what you're talking about but that has other issues
mainly, how fast do you have to flick it for it to count? They try to keep the aiming as simple as possible and I appreciate that. In smash I consistently have a hard time trying to figure out how fast I have to do it to flick, and even when I think I figured it out it still feels inconsistent.
It would feel so terrible to try to move my aim only slightly to the left just for it to turn a full 90 degrees (or vice versa)

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
ik what you're talking about but that has other issues
mainly, how fast do you have to flick it for it to count? They try to keep the aiming as simple as possible and I appreciate that. In smash I consistently have a hard time trying to figure out how fast I have to do it to flick, and even when I think I figured it out it still feels inconsistent.
It would feel so terrible to try to move my aim only slightly to the left just for it to turn a full 90 degrees (or vice versa)
in smash you can change how fast you need to move for it to count as a flick (i have mine on high so that i can easily do normal movement and it still isn’t too hard to activate the flick input)
and yeah it would still take getting used to just like we all done for gyro but i think it could be interesting. plus, this is all just hypothetical, we don’t know exactly how it would feel but even if it is a stupid idea it’s down to preference and it would be a customizable and by that i mean toggleable option anyway

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom