What Are Your Thoughts On The Salmon Run Schedule?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I wish there wasn't a schedule at all. I don't see a problem with being able to get the rewards all the time, and no other game (that I'd be willing to play, anyways) locks off one of it's few main modes arbitrarily like this.

Arky_Lynx

Inkling
NNID
Arceale
Switch Friend Code
SW-7930-4097-5703
While I appreciate the schedules moving on from 12 hours to 24 hours each, I still hold my opinion that there shouldn't be a schedule.

I wouldn't even mind if they lessened the rewards in exchange of having it forever open, the whole idea is that I could play it whenever I wanted.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
It makes it more realistic in my opinion.
Mr. Grizz may be ambiguously evil, but he doesn't strike me as cruel or vile. Even he knows that there's times where you should stop working and go have fun.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
Mr. Grizz may be ambiguously evil, but he doesn't strike me as cruel or vile. Even he knows that there's times where you should stop working and go have fun.
Or he could be trying to avoid a lawsuit or dealing with the Inkopolis version of OSHA. I imagine the world of the woomy has labor laws after all.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Or he could be trying to avoid a lawsuit or dealing with the Inkopolis version of OSHA. I imagine the world of the woomy has labor laws after all.
Considering that all of his "workers" are kids, I doubt it.
Also, considering that a total of 5 people are the only ones doing anything about the Great Zapfish (WHICH THEY ALL RELY ON FOR LIKE EVERYTHING) I don't even think that they have police.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
Considering that all of his "workers" are kids, I doubt it.
Also, considering that a total of 5 people are the only ones doing anything about the Great Zapfish (WHICH THEY ALL RELY ON FOR LIKE EVERYTHING) I don't even think that they have police.
New hypothesis: Inkopolis exists in a state of functional anarchy. Maybe it explains why Annaki brand is just an everyday thing...

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
New hypothesis: Inkopolis exists in a state of functional anarchy. Maybe it explains why Annaki brand is just an everyday thing...
Or it could be that they just have a near perfect society because they're not humans, who are mainly selfish with no common sense...

Sgt_Ludby

Inkling
NNID
Sgt_Ludby
Yeah I can't stand the schedule. I've hardly played the mode with all of my friends because we're unlucky and whenever we're all free, the mode isn't available. It's ridiculous and frustrating.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
As completly insane Gears Horde Mode Maniac, all i can say is, i hate it, i dont care about reward balancing or matchmaking i just want to play my favorite mode when ever i want.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I would keep it on it's schedule, but maybe put a couple of hours in between sessions as "down time".

Kimmorz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kimmorz
I like the schedule, and I appreciate that they increased the times to 24 hours. My only real gripe with it is when the open choices are less than desirable, that that's what you're stuck with for that whole time-frame. I feel like if it was always there, then wait times in lobbies might start to be longer across all modes, with everyone spread out. I already see that ranked tends to suffer a little during Salmon Run times. And as others have already said, it would mean a change in the reward system. I get what Nintendo is trying to do, and I understand why people wouldn't be happy with it, but personally, I like the way it is, and I do think Nintendo is trying to make it better by increasing the shift hours.

To be fair, Salmon Run happens several times a week, where when it was first announced that it would only be available during certain times, people were thinking we'd only see it about as often as Splatfests, or a couple times a month, so it is certainly better than what was originally thought.

aeron!

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5897-6499-1183
If labor laws exist in Inkopolis, does that mean squid labor unions also exist?

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
If labor laws exist in Inkopolis, does that mean squid labor unions also exist?
Mr Grizz says "but dont you dare start a union!" when the mothership appears sometimes, so squid labor unions probably exist.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
There's also the fact that salmonid migrations are canonically stated to only happen periodically, though in fairness they probably added that detail because of the schedule rather than the other way around. Though it does make sense from a world-building perspective that the Salmonids wouldn't be on the move all the time.

Part of me really hopes that it's a meta-build-up to some huge event. The Sunken Scolls say that Salmonid migrations used to be heralded as harbingers of the apocalypse, and if they're lasting for longer and longer, that could be a sign that some serious **** is about to hit the fan. I doubt it's the case, but it would be awesome.

I see the schedule as a necessity which few bring up. Every time Grizzco opens up It becomes insanely more difficult to get into normal matches. There simply aren't enough players to keep everything open without being stuck in waiting room hell.
I've definitely noticed a massive difference in matchmaking times when Salmon Run goes up. Generally I only have to wait 5-10 seconds for a match, but if Salmon Run's up I can expect to wait well over 30 seconds, sometimes over a minute. I'm personally glad that the schedule exists because it makes sure that people actually spend time playing the Ranked and Regular modes that are the actual focus of the game, rather than having the game turn into 'Salmon Run and some other modes that no-one plays anymore'. It's all very well to say "I paid for the game, I should be allowed to play it however I want", but that applies to other people too. And if there are people who can't find Regular or Ranked matches because everyone's too busy playing Salmon Run, then those people aren't being allowed to play the game the way they want. Sometimes compromise is necessary to fairness. That said, you could also probably argue that if Salmon Run was available all the time then people wouldn't horde it so much (if you'll pardon the expression).

The fact that they're still increasing the length of the sessions (I think there's a 30-hour one coming up) makes me wonder if it was just a temporary measure while the game's user-base was still growing. I've definitely noticed a huge upswing in English-named players in my lobbies lately. I live in Australia and it used to be that you couldn't find a lobby with less than 6 Japanese players in it, but now it's getting down to more like half-and-half, slightly favouring English names. So the user-base has clearly expanded pretty well over the last few weeks, and if it's getting big enough to feasibly support all the different modes that might be the impetus for lengthening the Salmon Runs.

It might also have been a case of just keeping the other modes alive in the early days when the novelty of Salmon Run was still commanding everyone's attention. As people get more used to it and the novelty wears off, people probably aren't going to obsess over it as much, so they'll be able to have it active for longer without Regular and Ranked modes drying up so much.

At the end of the day, I don't have a lot of calls on my time so I'm probably not the best person to opine on the schedule. But it's nice that it keeps all the modes alive and well, and the Runs happen so regularly that I find it hard to be too annoyed when they're not available. I might have had more of a problem if they only happened 1-2 times a week rather than the 3-4 times a week we actually get, but as it stands I don't have a problem with it. I understand why it would annoy people with more cluttered schedules though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom