What do you think of an offline Singleplayer collection like Mario All-Stars?

Yeenom

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
How would you feel if we got a 60$ collection of every Singleplayer mode in the series? This is something I've kind of wanted for a while, especially because the only way to play S1 and S2/OE's is to spend 40/80$ dollars on games that nobody plays anymore. I think it could be possible, especially because Nintendo is pretty good with porting their bigger titles (Unfortunately the smaller games don't get that luxury). The only serious tinkering they would need to do is removing rewards to wear in Multiplayer or for your Locker but that probably wouldn't take too much time. Preferably the older stages would be remade in Splatoon 3's engine with the Squid Surge and Squid Roll, along with some extra levels using weapons that weren't in the game on launch and improvements but I would honestly just take a straight port. If I had to think of a story explanation: You're playing as Agent 9 who's undergoing VR training to catch up with the other agents to face the upcoming menace, probably whatever gets introduced in Splatoon 4's Singleplayer. You're basically Splatoon Raiden.

Last edited:

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I would be interested since I've never played the Splatoon 1 campaign but I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for all campaigns since most of the content is available on the Switch already (with the exception of the S1 content). I also suspect that most people who would be interested are likely to already have Splatoon 2 and 3 already. And if the Switch 2 has backward compatibility it would mean that this would be the case for a long time going forward.

An alternative though might be a less expensive ($15?) port of the Splatoon 1 campaign only. They could also include the mini arcade games that were in S1.

As a side note, I don't think they would place new mechanics like squid rolls in the older campaigns. The levels were designed around the mechanics that were available. Both in terms of keeping the challenge and in terms of game preservation I think it makes more sense to keep the mechanics as is.

Cephalobro

Could be a good way to give players more Splatoon without rushing the next game out.

However, in order to keep the spirit of the original, they have to keep the customization options just like how it was in the original game that the campaign took part in.

For example, in the Octo Valley campaign part, only Inklings can be playable and there are no alternate hairstyles, legwear, or eyebrows either, and said hairstyles, legwear, and eyebrows are dependent on the gender you pick. Oh, and both skin tone and eye color are reduced to how many are accessible in Splatoon 1.

It would be a huge bonus if how you customized Agent 3 in the Octo Valley campaign actually carries over as the default customization option for Agent 3 in Octo Expansion. After all, the same thing was done for both Agent 4 and Agent 8 in Side Order (provided you let your Splatoon 3 copy read the data of your Splatoon 2 copy), so this isn't impossible to do (in fact, it's actually easier to do given it's in the same exact game copy).

Last edited:

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
yeah, I have to agree with @Cephalobro, but for single player campaign they should do an easy/kinda hard final boss because if you've seen the final boss in S2 you would see it is just on a stage and S1 and S3 you have to traverse thru different obstacles just to defeat the final boss, so I am just hoping that they do and easy/kinda hard final boss like they did in S2

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
It's a great idea, for sure. I think it'd be a great thing to do if Nintendo sees Splatoon's single player offerings as important in and of themselves... which I'm not really sure they do, honestly. Otherwise, Splatoon 1's would have found its way onto the Switch SOMEHOW.
It's also a tough sell on a system that's currently selling 2 and 3 - how many clueless people who already bought 2 or 3 would buy this, then get upset that part of the game they paid for is content they've already experienced?
The only way I could really see this working out is if it was released while Splatoon 4 (or 5, even) is the current game on the Switch successor. 10 years will certainly have passed from Splatoon 1's release, and maybe that's enough time to justify a collection like this for the first three games as a whole. Contemporaneously, though? That's doubtful.

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
...The only way I could really see this working out is if it was released while Splatoon 4 (or 5, even) is the current game on the Switch successor. 10 years will certainly have passed from Splatoon 1's release, and maybe that's enough time to justify a collection like this for the first three games as a whole. Contemporaneously, though? That's doubtful.
I think this timeframe make sense for a collection but just to note, Splatoon will be 9 years old as of tomorrow (it was released May 28, 2015), which is why I think releasing a port of S1's single player might make sense sooner.

Masked_Katz

Gnarly Eddy's Boyfriend
Switch Friend Code
SW-3907-3792-4200
Personally, the community and multiplayer aspects of Splatoon were always my main interest in the series. I don't even think I've completed Return of the Mammalians even after playing for 1100+ hours, but I plan to one day even if just for the multiplayer rewards. I actually think my most played Splatoon campaign is Side Order, though a large part of that may be because there's so much to unlock and share in the other modes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stories and characters they've introduced ever since the first game, but I'd ultimately prefer to take in the story by watching someone else play them while I continue the grind. If there was a singleplayer-only Splatoon game or collection, I likely would have no interest, since the company of other players is what attracts me so much in the first place.

Cephalobro

The collection could be on the newer console if/when necessary, but it should ideally be way before the actual next Splatoon entry, like 4 or so years before Splatoon 4 actually releases because again, to make sure Splatoon 4 stays in development longer before being released. The collection can serve both as an anniversary celebration as well as a way to give players some more Splatoon content without the need to rush Splatoon 4.

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I'm thinking that if they did either a port of S1 or a collection it would likely be outsourced to a 3rd party to be honest. And if they did that the main team would free to work on...the next Animal Crossing game (what do you expect it's the same team that works on Splatoon and New Horizons sold like for times as many units as Splatoon 3 did).

Edit: I'm sure they will make a Splatoon 4 but I'm thinking it's a long way off, partially because the next AC game is most likely next in the queue.

Last edited:

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I think this timeframe make sense for a collection but just to note, Splatoon will be 9 years old as of tomorrow (it was released May 28, 2015), which is why I think releasing a port of S1's single player might make sense sooner.
I am just sad that they didn't wait until the 9th birthday of Splatoon

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
I think it's a really smart idea. A full port of any splatoon game wouldn't make any sense on a system that has a splatoon 4 or 5 on it for example, so just making a compilation of the campaigns in one package would be a good way to preserve them and let people experience the """"full"""" story and lore

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I think it's a really smart idea. A full port of any splatoon game wouldn't make any sense on a system that has a splatoon 4 or 5 on it for example, so just making a compilation of the campaigns in one package would be a good way to preserve them and let people experience the """"full"""" story and lore
yes I agree with you, but if you transfer saved data from your switch then you wouldn't have to worry about S3's story mode (trust me it is hell once you die over and over at the final boss)

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
That's true (happy 9th, Splatoon 1!), but the 9th isn't usually a notable anniversary. Granted, neither is the 11th if it would land on that, but since the Switch is basically in limbo until the Switch 2 I wouldn't be surprised if they hold out on projects like this until next year, which would work out serendipitously.

Personally, the community and multiplayer aspects of Splatoon were always my main interest in the series. ... If there was a singleplayer-only Splatoon game or collection, I likely would have no interest, since the company of other players is what attracts me so much in the first place.
I think this is also a valuable and important angle to consider. I like Splatoon's single player offerings a lot, but multiplayer has always been my driving interest in the series too - and if you're on Squidboards, I reckon there's a high chance you fall in the same camp. Personally, I've got friends who only play for the single player and friends who don't like the single player at all - most aren't at the extreme ends, but they tend to be closer to the latter. Only Nintendo would have the statistics to tell them if this is truly a viable idea, and I'd sure love to see them.

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
That's true (happy 9th, Splatoon 1!), but the 9th isn't usually a notable anniversary. Granted, neither is the 11th if it would land on that, but since the Switch is basically in limbo until the Switch 2 I wouldn't be surprised if they hold out on projects like this until next year, which would work out serendipitously.
hey, they waited about 20 some years to bring back S.M 64 in the Super Mario all stars game, so I am worried that they are going to wait 20 some years to do the same thing for the Splatoon story modes

NeoXVIII

Inkster Jr.
I dunno, having fully completed 2, OE, 3, and SO, I wouldn't pay for a standalone splatoon single player package à la LoZ collector's edition or SM All Stars. Like they're not full games if you cut the multiplayer out; they're all very short when it comes to the actual story and progression with lots of grinding afterwards for small multiplayer rewards (which I think is fine for what the modes are tbh), save for OE, Splatoon 2 being notable for this where you had to complete every single level with a weapon to unlock a multiplayer skin.

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I dunno, having fully completed 2, OE, 3, and SO, I wouldn't pay for a standalone splatoon single player package à la LoZ collector's edition or SM All Stars. Like they're not full games if you cut the multiplayer out; they're all very short when it comes to the actual story and progression with lots of grinding afterwards for small multiplayer rewards (which I think is fine for what the modes are tbh), save for OE, Splatoon 2 being notable for this where you had to complete every single level with a weapon to unlock a multiplayer skin.
that's what my brother always tells me, if you want a good offline game get an N64, Super Nintendo, Nintendo Entertainment system, Game boy(Any version), or even the Gamecube

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
(sorry for this I did this to check if my previous reply went through)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom