what happened to rm sturgeon

missrekie

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2603-7120-9244
I'm no high level player but I'm pretty sure RM sturgeon was dropped because of lockout problems when the enemy team takes your snipe and also that pushing the 2 routes is annoying because you can't switch between them as well as splatoon 2, so you have to lock in and force your way through with specials *yay choke points*

joe???

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4284-1031-3060
Its always been god awful in 2 it was bad and in this game its even worse having your pushes dictated by a timer feels really bad they even took away the sponge route and the top right changed from a ramp into a jump.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I always thought it was awful. The RM eventually gets to the left check, your team can't push it anymore up there, eventually you make a push on the right side, you can't get a KO cause of the check being in spawn, and then you just hold for the rest of the game cause you can't out do your last push.

zyf_

Pro Squid
i am not sure we are talking about the same map cuz uhhhhhhh
just get one (1) special to clear your snipe? it's not that stable of a position and it's generally difficult to retake from mid if you're displaced from their snipe

left side push isn't the best but right side still makes a lot of sense and has actual dynamic play without a single defined chokepoint (unless you insist on risking the jump up the block)
if anything left is better than it used to be because the thing consistently drops the first time you go there
and the jump still exists
idk i feel like people just lost the sponge and then gave up

lack of sponge is unfortunate but there's still good flow to the map

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
was doing popgun's maplist challenge and like

lowkey

rm sturgeon is a good map
where did it go and why am i playing this garbage museum rainmaker nonsense instead

esp @ high level people what happened
Museum is so good you take that back

zyf_

Pro Squid
Museum is so good you take that back
museum rainmaker??? theres literally 1 route
if a map has only one checkpoint thats usually a bad sign

and the pushes are garbage unless the spinner is facing the correct direction

museum zones and clams are solid but museum rm feels like doodoo water its so hard to push
(clams is too but at least you're not stuck with a slow fish)

joe???

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4284-1031-3060
museum rainmaker??? theres literally 1 route
if a map has only one checkpoint thats usually a bad sign

and the pushes are garbage unless the spinner is facing the correct direction

museum zones and clams are solid but museum rm feels like doodoo water its so hard to push
(clams is too but at least you're not stuck with a slow fish)
I don't think there needs to be a lot of distinct routes for a rainmaker map to be good just at least one really high quality route where each position that the offense or defense takes feels like you have multiple options to counter it.

Once you get the rainmaker onto their plat I feel like playing on either side or on top of the spinner gives you a ton of different approaches. If they stack top left, go on the right side of the spinner. If they stack top right, go on the left side. Spinner can potentially let you jump onto the top right or left and contest those positions directly as well. Yes the spinner's rotations means that sometimes your options are worse but it rotates at a fast enough rate and no specific orientation is so bad that it completely invalidates your push. Compared to the right route on sturgeon, which is basically all low ground into high ground with a couple spots watching over the entire route I would say museum may only have one route but its higher quality.

I don't have museum as my favorite or second favorite rainmaker map, but I don't mind it in maplists because we have a drought of options for the mode and I think its dynamic enough.

liligravybread

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0704-7291-1041
When it’s rare to see a KO, there is clearly a problem.
imo rare KOs are better because it means certain aspects of gameplay there are less one-sided. if map modes get KOd frequently with less opportunity for even, back-and-forth play then that shows it’s more likely to snowball.
i think the sturgeon rm problem is more that regaining control of mid and getting a push going in the opposite direction can take an unnecessarily long time due to the map design itself (getting on enemy snipe, controlling their court and stuff like that preventing movement back into mid and putting defending team at a bigger disadvantage when attempting to retake than other rm maps).

Last edited:

SnowySprig

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0314-4656-5125
was doing popgun's maplist challenge and like

lowkey

rm sturgeon is a good map
where did it go and why am i playing this garbage museum rainmaker nonsense instead

esp @ high level people what happened
my theory is people are scarred by randoms always taking rain left route from mid, and losing matches in soloq to that alone. i do think its an issue when i havent given a mapmode a critical look just because i never see it played on or play on it myself in tourney (and this also kinda goes with people just copying top player's opinions on maps without giving them much thought themselves), so i'd wouldnt mind giving it a better chance.

zyf_

Pro Squid
update: they absolutely butchered the @$%* out of this map, left side is unplayable, i forgot that you can't rotate left AT ALL while the bridge is up anymore, plus lack of sponge = map is horrible, i take it back lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom