• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What if the walls counted for points?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
That would be different but I'm sure it would just slow the game down, you've only got 2 minutes. ^^;

SoloCarryGamer

Inkling
NNID
s0l0c4rryg4m3r
I'm pretty sure mostly everyone knows this by now, but apparently shooting does not count for points. To be honest, in a game about painting everything thing in sight don't you guys find this strange? Sure, painting up walls gives you a tactical advantage but quite frankly I don't think that's enough.
In the latest Iwata Asks the developers explain why it came to be this way and while it does make sense I feel that Splatoon could have become an even more diverse game that it is now. What do you guys think?
Hiya Guys can't wait for Splatoon to hit only two more days now!!! but on the topic being discussed I can agree with the point you are making about the walls being "all inclusive" however in the perspective not only as a tactical advantage it would cause games to be "snowballed" using a MOBA term XD. Furthermore it's quite a bit more programming for Nintendo; it's a whole other floor that the game must process before dishing out the winners their coin. And as far as aesthetics are concerned the gamepad constantly shows a rough estimate of the ground covered whereas if the walls counted too they could not show that uunless it was a 3d model which would look weird imo. Well I hope you enjoyed my thoughts and check out the squad I'm creating if you want? just throwing it out there :P

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Hiya Guys can't wait for Splatoon to hit only two more days now!!! but on the topic being discussed I can agree with the point you are making about the walls being "all inclusive" however in the perspective not only as a tactical advantage it would cause games to be "snowballed" using a MOBA term XD. Furthermore it's quite a bit more programming for Nintendo; it's a whole other floor that the game must process before dishing out the winners their coin. And as far as aesthetics are concerned the gamepad constantly shows a rough estimate of the ground covered whereas if the walls counted too they could not show that uunless it was a 3d model which would look weird imo. Well I hope you enjoyed my thoughts and check out the squad I'm creating if you want? just throwing it out there :p
Can you explain how people would be snowballed? Not everyone is familiar with MOBA terms so please elaborate.

SoloCarryGamer

Inkling
NNID
s0l0c4rryg4m3r
Can you explain how people would be snowballed? Not everyone is familiar with MOBA terms so please elaborate.
Sure no problem. It is as term used to describe the flow of the game which if you imagine a snowball being rolled down a hill. It gets bigger and bigger metaphorically describing the flow of the game. My point was the flow of the game would be drastically changed if the score counted on the walls as well as the floor because it would give "tactical advantage" through movement options, dodging etc as well as score decreasing the chances of the enemy team for a comeback. During the Global testfire I had first hand experience of my team using the walls so well that the enemies could not even leave their base and were effectively being spawn killed. Can you imagine if their score counted for that too???

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Sure no problem. It is as term used to describe the flow of the game which if you imagine a snowball being rolled down a hill. It gets bigger and bigger metaphorically describing the flow of the game. My point was the flow of the game would be drastically changed if the score counted on the walls as well as the floor because it would give "tactical advantage" through movement options, dodging etc as well as score decreasing the chances of the enemy team for a comeback. During the Global testfire I had first hand experience of my team using the walls so well that the enemies could not even leave their base and were effectively being spawn killed. Can you imagine if their score counted for that too???
But that's the thing, it would give them a reason to splat the walls you're hiding in. So to say it's a tactical advantage isn't entirely correct.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When it comes down to it, there are two reasons.

One: Because it would be tedious trying to cover all the walls to get more points.
Two: Because both the map on the gamepad and the map on the results need to give info in an instant.

In theory, a 3d controllable map sounds nice, but no one wants to waste time just see a tiny speck of paint on a wall. People want to look at the map in an instant to solve problems.

SoloCarryGamer

Inkling
NNID
s0l0c4rryg4m3r
But that's the thing, it would give them a reason to splat the walls you're hiding in. So to say it's a tactical advantage isn't entirely correct.
But it is considering the fact that you can use the walls for movement purposes and hiding. But that is another debate... The walls are a unique feature for any shooter and play a lot more of a role but for "score" to be considered as well. Personally it's a step too far as it would not be fair and or competitive. But hey ho that's what I think maybe it's given some food for thought?

SquidBuster

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DubaloSeven
A floor+wall map would not be ideal for the "quick glance" that the current only floor map gives, it would either be misleading due to perspective (looks like a small area but actually is bigger) or would have to be manipulated, which is certainly not good.

The second reason is probably the weapons, most are not great at painting walls, and adding the walls would probably limit the weapon variants we have now. So in this case less is more.
This. As someone who plans on maining the paint roller this weapon struggles enough as it is. If walls counted there wouldn't be a point in playing roller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom