• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What other Nintendo competitive games do you play?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It's been something of a dream of mine to play competitive Smash, but, well, I'm kind of terrible at it (as my 0% FG rate can attest to). I think I'm getting better at it, but...

With Pokémon, I never put too much stock into playing competitively, but after one too many crushing defeats playing Black online, I got the feeling that I wouldn't be able to win unless I made some effort towards EVing & all that. But I lost interest in Pokémon entirely shortly after, so nothing ever came of it.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
I tend to play Smash pretty competitively, especially Smash 4 and Melee. That said, that doesn't mean I'm good at it.
I guess I'd say I'm sort of semi-pro: I use competitive terminology and rulesets, but I've never really been able to enter a tournament: there aren't a whole lot near my area, and by the time I find out about 'em, they've already finished.
If I did manage to enter one, I wouldn't really care what position I got in.

I've thought about playing Pokemon competitively, but I can't seem to find any way of trading my team all the way to X/Alpha Sapphire without buying a second 3DS. And then, of course, there's my team that's permanently residing within my Yellow cartridge...
Also, I never knew that competitive Mario Kart was a thing. Might try that if I can find a ruleset for it.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Mario Kart. I've gotten 1st place in 2 Mario Kart Wii tourneys and 1 MK64 tourney. havent played in awhile though..

edit: not gonna quote it because i realized this is kind of a zombie thread, but Mario Kart and competitive is NOT an oxymoron. i think especially with Wii. there are soo many things you need to be able to master- tricks to learn on every stage, many of which are quite high risk shortcuts. learning when to wheelie, inward vs outward drifting pros and cons. want to dodge a blue shell? save that mushroom. want to defend against red shells? stack those bananas/green shells. putting enough distance between yourself and 2nd place that even an onslaught of lightning/blue shells wont affect your ranking (and preventing your opponents from doing the same) requires a lot of practice, memorization, coordination and on-your-toes thinking.

i would say Wii is easily the most competitive iteration of the game because it has clearly tiered characters and vehicles but without cheaper exploits like snaking that DS suffered from. stages are quite balanced, gameplay is tight and responsive. i miss its online.

Last edited:

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
wow, that's....surprisingly complex. shall put these into practice.
thanks for the info, @birdiebee.
I'm glad you found it helpful! I cant really play any other games at a "pro" level so MKW is the one I'm confident in having a mastery of...
I can offer more situational advice if you have any questions.

I have to emphasize a lot of the stuff I talked about ONLY apply to MKW, so if you're practicing on 7 or 8 or any other, the game is completely different. haha

YOJOEHOJO

Inkling
NNID
YOJOEHOJO
I play The Smash Bros. games competitively with friends and I have also been putting plans into motion as to host tourneys at my place due to the fact that I not only would be able to host tournaments for that series of games, but also for many other titles due to my huge collection. I would just need to flesh out the rules of it all, prize system, and the percentage of monetary gain for the upkeep of it all.

Saeka

Inkling
NNID
shaymincinccino
A little bit of Pokemon and Smash. I don't attend tournaments but I follow the competitive scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom