• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What weapons do you feel are underrated?

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I always found the Jr. Custom to be an interesting weapon when used to its fullest potential. It has a support kit in basically the purest form, and when you master using disruptors, it can leave enemies totally shut down and just waiting to be splatted. Being the Jr., it performs well in close quarters, and builds that echolocater very quickly, which provides even more assistance to your team in hunting down enemies. It's not hard to see why not many people use it, though. It requires good team coordination to get a lot out of it, and unlike the basic Jr., it doesn't have bombs for added offensive pressure or the bubbler for panic situations or team sharing. Still, I have seen it used to pretty devastating effect by people who put in the effort, and like most short range rapid fires, it can be killer on successful flanks especially when comboed well with disruptors.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
(THIS IS OBVIOUSLY BIASED)
I definitely think the Grim is Underrated. It's definitely a weapon that I've seen, but I don't think it's a weapon that is used enough.
Simply put, the burst canceling shenanigans are amazing, shutting down anyone not running defense up. Not to mention, your main weapon is a range blaster, one of the best weapons in the game (imo obviously), just because you are a mid ranged one shot kill, and you can two shot people around a corner. Also, if someone gets cheeky and messes up your spacing, throw a burst bomb or two at them, or direct them in the face if they feel like it. Not to mention Wail is pretty good at checking tower pushes or rainmaker paths. Still though, it takes some skill to use, as opposed to the CRB and the luna neo (the premier blasters in the meta)
I agree with this immensely. Burst bombs are so incredibly versatile and help cover the power painting power of blasters. It also gets a wail to get rid of snipers. If any Blaster I would prefer to play grim. Of course it seems outclassed in pure offensive power, which is why we have Blasters in the first place, but it is a very nice choice and can meld into many different team comps.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
What holds back GRB is the wail special. That's all. CRB has Splat Bombs which are less effective than Burst Bombs in CQC but can be applied in more varied ways and then Kraken is Kraken. If this were Splatoon 2 where Invi doesn't (Appear) to exist, then GRB would take the seat of CRB.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
i find vanilla heavy to be one of the most underused weapons in the game at the moment. i understand that it's largely overshadowed by the '96, which combines the best parts of the standard and deco versions of the heavy, i.e. wall and kraken while negating the need to charge, but - and i admit that i might be biased - i feel that it has more to offer than many realise. for one in my experience it's pure painting power is superior by quite a bit due to how often it get's it's special and 2) IT'S AN F-ING GATLING GUN!!! nuff sed.
2nd most underrated: custom red gun
omg where do i even start with this. to say that it excels at control is an understatement. everthing about it - range, sub, the fact that it cover turf so quickly and get it's special so often - it all feels sooooooo gooooood. it's an absolute beast on rm and tc as you can enable and stop pushes rather easily, while helping your teammates keep up the pressure.
I also really like heavy splatling for well, above reasons.
a full charge allows you too rain inkt on a area and splat multiply enemy's, also fun to flank with.
using splash wall still allow a full charge directly afterwards making it a effective for holding back enemy's and in narrow hallways.
ink-strike for spacing enemy's and for sowing even more choas.
But the main thing i dislike is you kinda need a team to hold back the enemy, holding your ground on un-even terrain (wich you most of the time are on depending on stage/mode) is hard due low mobility, and winning back terrain is also tricky but 'raining' inkt for your teammates helps with that, also flanking if thats still a option or ink-strike can save the day.
all by one, still a great weapon though.

i never used any other splatling then heavy actually, should try another one.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I wouldn't compare the Grim to the CRB super closely, as they function pretty differently. The Grim's specialty is to one shot without much risk, and since you can do that with burst bombs and a blast, you have a great ability to set up picks for your team to setup momentum. The CRB can't make those picks nearly as quick as a Grim can. The CRB is great at keeping a defensive edge, especially with some turf control, a CRB is nothing to mess around with. As the CRB can bunny hop, strafe, and activate a kraken if they need too. Allowing a CRB player to completely defend a point. If anything is threating the Grim's viability, I would definitely say it's the Luna neo and its quick respawn set. Allowing a Luna to trade and comeback in the fight more frequently than a Grim ever could.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
If I may add some to this conversation there's 2 that comes to mind for me...
The two other Mini-Splatlings, just because the Zink Mini is a thing and no one really considers the two other variants because the Zimi's kit is crazy good... Like ''Why use the Vanilla Mini or the Remi when the Zimi is a thing?'' as one of my teammates have asked me.

It doesn't really help that they have the same kits as the Splattershot and the Tentatek, which turns even more people off and ask basically the same thing : ''Why would I use the Mini when the Tentatek is a thing?'' and ''Why would I go Remi when I can go vanilla Splattershot?''
Though the latter doesn't happen often as those two weapons are not very common to begin with... but I still feel like it would be a similar situation regardless.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
If I may add some to this conversation there's 2 that comes to mind for me...
The two other Mini-Splatlings, just because the Zink Mini is a thing and no one really considers the two other variants because the Zimi's kit is crazy good... Like ''Why use the Vanilla Mini or the Remi when the Zimi is a thing?'' as one of my teammates have asked me.

It doesn't really help that they have the same kits as the Splattershot and the Tentatek, which turns even more people off and ask basically the same thing : ''Why would I use the Mini when the Tentatek is a thing?'' and ''Why would I go Remi when I can go vanilla Splattershot?''
Though the latter doesn't happen often as those two weapons are not very common to begin with... but I still feel like it would be a similar situation regardless.
I understand why the argument is made for the Mini vs TTek situation, as the sub/special combo is much better suited for the offensive play and solid options of the TTek. Overall, the Mini doesn't really gain much of an advantage by having the extra range and slightly faster kill time (after charging) in most people's eyes. I would much rather have the versatility of a shooter that doesn't have to charge and has many more ways to escape with the Suction/Zooka set.

However, I think the Rimi vs Splattershot debate comes down to preference. The Burst Bomb has so many ways it can be used, so it compliments nearly any kit. The Bomb Rush is also a great way to lay down pressure and gain turf quickly. Some people argue that the Rimi can simply get that turf coverage and apply pressure simply by charging, but the Burst Bombs offer such a nice defensive and quick option to fall back on with the Rimi, so you don't always have to rely on your charging up. The Splattershot uses the Burst Bombs to create a balls to the walls offensive presence that should never be overlooked. Burst Bombs can pressure opponents that are hard to reach with your gun, and the Bomb Rush can make up for the lack of quick turf coverage (and don't get me wrong the Splattershot is good at getting turf down but it's not great). All in all, both sets are understandable to use, and it really comes down to a shooter/Splatling preference. People really shouldn't overlook the Rimi.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
In my experience most Inkstrike weapons are much less used compared to their alternative variant(s), which only makes sense, Inkstrike is pretty unremarkable. I think most of them are still pretty good though, such as the Heavy Splatling, Slosher, Range Blaster, Jet Squelcher, and Wasabi Splattershot, though yeah it's more because the main n sub weapon are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom