What weapons do you main and what strategy do you use?

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I mostly play both variants of the Splat Dualies. I try to play aggressively and push as far as I can into enemy base. When I'm not doing that, I paint mid or enemy flanking points.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
I'm a Splatterscope main who almost exclusively plays Turf Wars.

I feel like the gun really shines as a support weapon. I use it to ink, to break enemy paths, bear trap opponents, rescue teammates, and steal enemy-side terrain that is normally hard or impossible to reach. As for sniping, I'd say most days I would merit a solid B/B+. Most of the time I just wait for squids to charge me up a ledge and splat bomb them. Infact I like the scope/splatbomb combo so much I've stuck with this kit despite never really getting the hang of the Stingray.
I agree; Splat Bombs have so many uses as a Splatterscope main myself, especially when I want to get aggressive.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't 'main' anything, because that'd be kind of boring after 400+ hours. There's around 25/30-ish sets that I feel pretty confident with, but my current favs are in my signature, and I believe the one I've spend the most time with is the Custom Jr. I tend to go through phases where I play one weapon for dozens of matches (with a few matches of other weapons inbetween). Currently I'm playing the Slosher Deco a lot.

My strategy is to play kind of aggressively but not to be at the frontline all the time, if that makes any sense. Basically I tend to go for kills a lot, but I don't find myself being the one to penetrate into the enemies' base a lot. I usually find it more fun to, when we are winning, to stay a bit in the middle to kill off those who slip through.
Custom Splattershot Jr (my guilty pleasure)
What's there to feel guilty about?

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
I don't 'main' anything, because that'd be kind of boring after 400+ hours. There's around 25/30-ish sets that I feel pretty confident with, but my current favs are in my signature, and I believe the one I've spend the most time with is the Custom Jr. I tend to go through phases where I play one weapon for dozens of matches (with a few matches of other weapons inbetween). Currently I'm playing the Slosher Deco a lot.

My strategy is to play kind of aggressively but not to be at the frontline all the time, if that makes any sense. Basically I tend to go for kills a lot, but I don't find myself being the one to penetrate into the enemies' base a lot. I usually find it more fun to, when we are winning, to stay a bit in the middle to kill off those who slip through.
What's there to feel guilty about?
A lot of "pro" players look down on the Custom Jr......and in ranked, it's tough using it against players who can out range and over power your weapon. Ranked is nothing but blasters, heavys, and Splattershot Pros. It does force you to be more creative with kills though.....using subs and specials to throw them off to get the kills works for me against more powerful weapons. It's an awesome inking weapon though with the ink storm.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't see why the lack of range is more of a problem in Ranked. In both modes you should be able to overcome both quick killers and range killers. I personally use it a lot for SZ and CB, and it works out fine.
A lot of "pro" players look down on the Custom Jr
All the more reason not to hang out in competitive circles, if that's true.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Not in the range right now of what weapons to use, but i do main Deco Heavy Splatling.
Long range, good turfing, Splash Wall for getaways and defensive play, Bubbles for even more ridiculous defensive play and scare play
I feel comfortable playing defensively as i like watching over my objective and teammates in general. (Cause they seem to get themselves killed without me for some reason & the objective usually gets taken over by someone slipping by our defenses too).

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
I main dapple duelies. Not to say i don't use other weapons to great effect I also run with splat roller and the gold aerosprayer(forgive me I forgot the exact name) quite well.

With those 3 weapons my playstyle is much the same. Build special really quick and head out into the middle of everything and let the paint fly.

Even though I have an extremely aggressive playstyle(which has gotten me flanked like no other) i prefer to think of my playstyle as an "assassin". You shouldn't know I'm there until I'm already halfway up your nose if I'm playing it right. Got really good at the splat roller first, then broadened to the dapples and afterwards started using the aerosprayer more. I've tried out many different weapons and am currently about 3/4 of the way through purchasing all of them. But it's taking alot of gold to get that done.

Currently I'm trying to find another weapon to place into the "I'm good with this" pile. Splatlings are okay and I have gotten quite a few rounds where I wasn't just a liability with the weapon.

And the weapon that surprises me the most? Chargers and all their variants. In the past I have ALWAYS played a sniper. In this game I just cannot for the life of me get it to work.
Though it's quite possible it is my inability to use the motion controls effectively that is hampering my abilities in that respect.

Superpudds

Inkling
NNID
Superpudds
The Splattershot Jr. has always had a soft spot in my heart since Splatoon 1. However, I found it almost impossible to deal with the longer ranged weapons. So my main switched to N-ZAP 85. The extra range helped a lot, and I find the weapon performs well in most of the modes. I have been developing movement patterns that make it harder to be targeted by other players, but find the weapon is most effective when another player is close by to offer support. This is especially helpful against blasters.

I recently have been working on the Jet Squelcher, It makes for a very different kind of playstyle, but I'm noticing some interesting strategies that make it quite effective.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I main the blaster class (That's right, I'm that scrub who can't aim)

And I mainly focus on killing everyone on the enemy team.

First I go for the backline, if I can get the sniper / long range camper, the objective can move much faster.

Then, I go for the painter weapon. If there's a weapon on the enemy team that can paint like crazy, I want them dead. So they can't spread map control and prohibit me from moving far.

Finally, I'll go for fellow slayers / flanker weapons. As they try to eat my teammates and I don't like people all up in my teammate's grill.

(And of course, if one of them comes up in the way of each other, I kill the person trying to kill me first)

If we get a team wipe / map control, I'll push up and attempt to hold the enemies back. If I aim correctly, and position wisely, it should be a spawn camp.

Reactions: the

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108

This is me EXACTLY. "Maining" a certain weapon or 2 just makes the game boring and blank for me. As for my strategy, It honestly depends on the weapon I use. I'm usually a Support - map control - beakon placer kind of person.

I feel like you need much better aim for Blasters than anything else.
Not necessarily; splash damage is more common than getting a lot of directs.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I usually play both Splat Brellas as support. With the vanilla version focusing on inking turf and turtling in Ink Storm and Sorella for better offensive presence and pushing specifically.

Raxel920

Full Squid
In TW and RM, I play Squeezer (Might try Foil when I unlock it). In TW, I like to stay mobile and ink as much as I can with the quick shot at first, but then I like to take over a small area (I guess that makes me a camper) and use the power shot to get faraway turf or to splat enemies. In RM, I don't like to take the Rainmaker, but instead stay around the person with it and guard them, using the power shot to get opponents from faraway. I use the Splat Wall in chokepoints or to defend myself when I get into a good position, and using Stingray when it's charged

In TC I main Range Blaster. I try to avoid getting on the tower, and follow it around to protect it when we have it. But when they have it, I will try to sneak around it and snipe people on it, while avoiding getting attacked, until the other team is wiped or I get splatted.

And in SZ, I use Sploosh. I rush up to the zone at first, try to take out the other team and ink the zone. Then I'll stay there and sneak up to people who try to reclaim it. Easy as Octo Pie. I use Curling Bombs to deal with tricky opponents, and whip out the Splashdown when things get hairy.

Sharkbrush

Inkling
NNID
Caramel_Dorka
Switch Friend Code
SW-5374-1988-5781
I main the inkbrush, splatterscope and blaster, but I'm flexible and can confidently play other weapons in ranked, league or scrims if I have to. My general rule of thumb is to repress the enemy team, and to not even let them near the tower/rainmaker/zone. I spawncamp if I have to, but that usually only applies to rainmaker and tower when said rainmaker/tower gets too close to their spawn for me to do anything else.

With the inkbrush and blaster, I use a kit composing of cold-blooded, ninja squid, swim speed up, ink resistance and ink saver main. I do a lot of sharking as the inkbrush is weaker melee weapon and the blaster has a slow fire rate, therefore getting the jump on people (and even better, getting behind them) makes sure I'm less likely to die. I also have ink resistance in case of sticky situations with either weapon, and ink saver main as the blaster uses a ton of ink, and I often roll out of situations or into better splashdown positions with the inkbrush.

As for the splatterscope, I'm working on a kit that'll have swim speed up, ink saver main and ink saver sub. For the splatterscope, I prefer to move around more than other chargers tend to because that's just what I'm used to. Swim speed up is good for getting out of bad situations, or moving away when enemies get too close. Ink saver main is just for convenience as I duck into the ink less when using chargers, and ink saver sub is useful for splat bombs as they're good for baiting enemies into or just covering turf when I don't have the time to charge up.

Marsha

Inkling
NNID
Myrle
Switch Friend Code
SW-0590-5856-4602
For Turf War and Rainmaker I main the Sploosh-O-Matic. I absolutely love its turf coverage, and because I run Ninja Squid, I can skid around with my curling bombs fairly safely once I misdirect the enemy a few times. My strategy in TW is to focus on making circuits around the map and turfing, taking out enemies that stray from the herd by sneaking up on them and splatting them point-blank. I tend to prioritize Chargers and Brellas, especially since the Sploosh can utterly shred a brella's shield. Even if they splat me, it leaves them defenseless for a bit. The Sploosh's range is garbage, but gl;hf trying to splat me first if you're not using something with an equal rate of fire. I also love Splashdown, because I can use it to damage or splat enemies who come up behind me, plus it instantly refills your ink tank so if I miss my target I can curling bomb away scot-free. For Rainmaker I prefer to be the one to grab the RM, and I primarily focus on beelining the base. I don't use the RM's full charge shot much.

For Splat Zones I use either the Aerospray RG or the Splash-O-Matic Neo, depending on the shape of the map. In either case, my focus is to have an obscene output of ink to cover turf, and to use my sub to ink off high-traffic areas for the enemy. The only real difference is when Specials come into play. I use the RG's Baller to charge in and quickly seize or break control of the zone, which is why I primarily use the RG for single-zone maps. I use Splash Neo's Sution Bomb Launcher to claim zones from a distance, and to further block enemies off. It's especially fun to do on Camp Triggerfish.

Tower Control is Splash Neo all the way. I like to be the tower camper who shoots off the hyperaggros who try to brute force their way onto the tower, and compared to the Sploosh the Splash's range and Burst Bombs are great for pecking at people who hang around beneath you or on ledges. Suction Bomb Launcher's the icing on the cake; sticking them to the tower or areas it has to pass under or beside makes a nice little wall of no for your opponents to try and figure out a way around.

I'm still trying to figure out Clam Blitz; I've been using the Sploosh and the Aerospray but I'm not a fan of how either have been going. Trying to pick up a brush or roller, but when I try to practice in TW I always get splatted by better rollers/brushes xD.

darktenpura

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1816-5244-1416
I pretty much play all weapons(except for rollers), and I prefer to change my weapon and strategies according to the map and the mode.
But I do have preferred strategy, which is using map control to lock down enemies. I usually play supportively, and enjoy coming out new synergies that can work with my teammates. I like to substrafe for assists and sometimes if predicted well sub weapons can kill enemies on their way to the objective, which is very effective and has very low risks.
I am a camper, but I don't spawncamp, wonder is that cool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom