• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What weapons have potential In competitive?

Switch Friend Code
SW-1134-1326-2825
In this thread we talk about weapons that have potential in competitive if people pushed that weapon. For me I think that octo brush has potential. :ability_bombsniffer::ability_bombsniffer::ability_bombsniffer:

Flango

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/him
Isn’t this meta all about midrange weapons, zooka and pencil. I don’t think the Octobrush has any of those so wouldn’t it run into a few issues.

DChachouke

Senior Squid
Pronouns
she/her and they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6147-2273-1817
Tbf, any weapon has potential if you push it hard enough. Non-meta weapons just require a lot more skill and training that meta weapons. Asking about potential is very vague. Regardless, I think vslosh could be interesting :]

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I don't think this game has any secret top tiers or anything, the meta's already been figured out pretty well, but vanilla trislosher is kind of underrated to me. Like yes the other kit is better and yes it has mist, but I still think tri's an absurd main weapon, it paints okay and it still gets inkjet just fine with 180p, and that's a strong entry tool even with all the pencils

I don't get why it's considered a mid tier by some, I think it's totally a solid high tier, really strong weapon

C-53

Inkling
I am also sometimes surprised that Octobrush is not more prevalent. Not so much because it’s objectively strong, but because counterplay is so weird, and so many matchups are situationally favorable.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
I don't get why it's considered a mid tier by some, I think it's totally a solid high tier, really strong weapon
It's more an issue of being too specific than it being bad. Tri is a strong main weapon and Inkjet is a strong special but several other weapons on your team will need bombs to compensate for this thing having Toxic Mist. This limits the amount of comps you can put it on and gets even harder to justify when Pencil is as omnipresent as it is with its Sprinkler. Inkjet isn't the strongest special in the game anymore, far from mandatory as is, so the question of "does my team want what this can provide" becomes harder to say yes to when you can like run a Splattershot or vanilla Slosher or something instead that have a lot of similar strengths, even if not the same ones, and don't have that one glaring weakness. This in general describes a lot of mid tiers - very capable weapons, but you need to be ready to work around their problems in one way or another.

Most weapons that rise from low tier to high tier without any specific buffs tend to be either new counterplay being found to currently optimal strategies (e.g. Bubble for being the closest thing to a Trizooka answer) or if the weapon is REALLY hard at a high level and is finally seeing some optimization (e.g. Range Blaster or Reef-lux). It's really not easy to tell when this kinda stuff is going to happen and with what weapons until it's already starting at top level.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
It's more an issue of being too specific than it being bad. Tri is a strong main weapon and Inkjet is a strong special but several other weapons on your team will need bombs to compensate for this thing having Toxic Mist. This limits the amount of comps you can put it on and gets even harder to justify when Pencil is as omnipresent as it is with its Sprinkler. Inkjet isn't the strongest special in the game anymore, far from mandatory as is, so the question of "does my team want what this can provide" becomes harder to say yes to when you can like run a Splattershot or vanilla Slosher or something instead that have a lot of similar strengths, even if not the same ones, and don't have that one glaring weakness. This in general describes a lot of mid tiers - very capable weapons, but you need to be ready to work around their problems in one way or another.

Most weapons that rise from low tier to high tier without any specific buffs tend to be either new counterplay being found to currently optimal strategies (e.g. Bubble for being the closest thing to a Trizooka answer) or if the weapon is REALLY hard at a high level and is finally seeing some optimization (e.g. Range Blaster or Reef-lux). It's really not easy to tell when this kinda stuff is going to happen and with what weapons until it's already starting at top level.
I see what you mean, it's true that there's really no good reason to pick it in comps compared to a lot of other options since it doesn't really enable anything. I guess I just think it's solid, I'm not thinking "ew insta throw pick" whenever I see it

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Tbf, any weapon has potential if you push it hard enough. Non-meta weapons just require a lot more skill and training that meta weapons. Asking about potential is very vague. Regardless, I think vslosh could be interesting :]
Slosher is already considered a high tier weapon though, right? I don't think anyone is underestimating it unless you think it's much stronger. Tri-Strike is the only thing I see players have an issue with which I understand.

DChachouke

Senior Squid
Pronouns
she/her and they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6147-2273-1817
Yeah, it is, but I don't see it nearly enough. Tri-strike is the only thing holding it back, and even then, the main and sub synergy is extremely good. I just wish I could see it more in major tournaments

Tam_4

Inkling
In this thread we talk about weapons that have potential in competitive if people pushed that weapon. For me I think that octo brush has potential. :ability_bombsniffer::ability_bombsniffer::ability_bombsniffer:
So I’m assuming you mean that is already used in competitive. Well about half the weapons are good for competitive, the nozzle hose a lot cause unless they keep buffing it until it becomes another squeezer, and the octo brush is ok but I don’t think even if people really push it it will be super great. I think the Douser Dualies have the most potential of all the ones not being used in competitive play. Give it splat bomb, and an inkjet or something, and you’re going to town with that kit.

Flango

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/him
I think it’s because one of the tri slosher kits has tacticooler so in a way it’s meta
Doesn’t that mean ignoring the 3 better options (Snipewriter on maps where you need a back liner, Edit or N-Zap for maps where backliners don’t work), which make tri-slosher not the most effective, so not at all meta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom