• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What would the Inkling's moveset be in Smash Wii U?

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Let's say the Inkling from Splatoon joins Smash Wii U as DLC. You can pick the boy or girl Inkling and they even have custom attacks!

If it were up to you, what would the moveset for the Inkling be? Share your ideas here!

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
I was actually brain storming this with a friend.

Jab could totally be shots with the Splattershot Jr.

Down Smash: The Inkling jumps up and rolls the Splat Roller from behind him/her to the front.

Side Smash: A shot with the Splat Charger, range increases the more it is charged.

Up Smash: In Progress

Tilts: No idea yet

Neutral Special: A grenade, figured it would be fitting.

Air Normals could be performed in Squid form

Each attack would leave a spot of Ink that would be replaced if another is sprayed, the Inkling receives a movement speed boost in his/her Ink.

Just a little something I was thinking of so far.

TaizerBeam

Inkling
Well their UP B would be them shooting in the air as squids. SIDE B/DOWN B grenade of some sort? Neutral B just shooting ink. SIDE B/DOWN B ink form of greninjas shadow sneak? A lot could be down honestly. I just wan tto be a squid.
EDIT guy/gal above has it down almost pat.

Undr

EDIT: Removed spoiler tags. Didn't catch on, lol.

Neutral B
1 - Ink Balloon
2 - Ink Bomb
3 - Ink Proxy Bomb

Side B
1 - Splatter Shot
2 - Charge Shot
3 - Roller Charge

Down B
1 - Ink Splat at feet that slows enemies (tripping would be too OP)
2 - Ink Splat at feet that increases your movement speed
3 - Ink Splat at feet that removes debuffs

Up B
1 - Squid Launch that does minimal damage while in motion, splat damage on impact with ground
2 - Squid Launch that is fast, goes far, but does not damage
3 - Squid Launch that is shorter but does massive damage if sweet spotted

Final Smash - Kraken!

Shield would be animated as the Bubbler.

Rolling would create a momentary ink streak on the ground for the Inkling to squid through.

Three jab combo I think could remain as melee attacks and kicks.

Tilts would likely utilize the paintbrush for added range.

Smashes would essentially be the same as the tilts but maybe use the roller instead. When charged ink splatters out a tiny bit off of the attack.

Last edited:

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Up B - The super jump
Side B - Splat roller
Down B - Ink Mine
Neutral B - Change forms for a short period of time (An ink mechanic could be added)
While in squid form you would obviously get new attacks. but it would only last for a limited time

Jab - Splattershot

Forward smash - Paintbrush
Down smash - A burst bomb that detonates on impact
Up smash - n/a

Up tilt - Booyah punch
Forward tilt - A swing with your splattershot
Down tilt - Slide kick

Down air - A splat bomb that can meteor smash
Up air - Flip kick
Back air - n/a
Forward air - n/a

Last edited:

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
I think they would have a Splatter Shot, since it's the poster-child weapon for splatoon. The Standard attacks I think would be mostly kicks and gun-buts with the Splatter Shot, though I do like the idea I saw to bring in other weapons here as well, like the Roller being wielded for Smash Attacks. Good thought I thought about standard attacks being like Mega Man, like @OmegaDivider did, and having an ink-shot, but somehow it doesn't feel right to take that gimmick from him. Maybe if it was short ranged for the "jab", like Robin's chain attack with the wind tome. I do have a few more specific ideas for he specials though.

Standard B I initially pictured as being the Ink shots, like Fox's blaster and actually with a similar idea of leaving ink spots around. That said I like the Splat Bomb idea too.

Up B seems like there is one pretty obvious choice, the Super Jump! They rocket up with a decent amount of angle control, but not as good as Pit or Dark Pit's Power of Flight.

Side B, if the Splat Bomb wasn't taken by standard could be here, or it could be the Splat Charger, a ranged shot that you are committed to firing once you pull it. It charges for more range just like in the game. I could also see the Splash Wall here as some sort of slowing barrier, if the Splat Charger was used for a Mega Man like Side-Smash.

Now, Down B I had a concept for but I am not entirely sure how it should go. Essentially, I want the Inkling to leave Ink on the ground from other attacks, up to a cap, and the Down B is turning into squid form to use some sort of charging dash attack that works more fluidly if used on or near Ink. I imagine it having a straight down dive effect in the air and a small splat where they land, like Yoshi Bomb, or Bowser Bomb. However, if they dive into their own Ink, instead of having a long delay on landing, the Inkling jumps back out, spinning back into human form, while the spin flings a damaging splatter of Ink in a small circle around them, covering the move from being immediately countered on landing.

I really want them to have a reason to control ground with Ink, just like in Splatoon, which is where the Down B idea came from.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Up tilt- swipe the Ink Brush above the Inkling's head

F-Tilt: swings the Splattershot in front of herself

D-tilt: throws a Burst bomb at the ground, popping enemies up

N-air: Inkling transforms into a squid and spins

Up air: Inkling does a backflip kick

D-air: Inkling shoots a flurry of Ink bullets with her Splattershot Jr. towards the ground.

F-air: Inkling shoots three shots from her .52 Gal in front of her

B-air: Inkling shoots two shots from her Jet Squelcher behind her

Final Smash: Either Kraken or Inkstrike

Neutral B1: Splat Bomb - Inkling throws a Splat bomb in front her. Angle can be adjusted by how long you hold the B button. After a set amount of time, Bomb explodes
Neutral B2: Disruptor - Inkling throws a Disruptor in front of her. If it touches an opponent, they move a bit slower for a short period of time.
Neutral B3: Seeker - inkling places a Seeker in front of her, which travels in a straight line, before exploding.

Up B (1,2,3) variations of the Squid Jump

Side B1: Charge Shot (Splatcharger) - Inkling shoots a medium-range stream of ink in front of her
Side B2: Charge Shot (Splatterscope) - Inkling shoots a longer range stream of ink, but does less damage
Side B3: Charge Shot (Classic Squiffer) - Inkling shoots a shorter range stream of ink, but does more damage

Down B1: Ink Refill - Inkling dives into her ink. After recharging for a specific amount of time, her attacks get a temporary buff in power.
Down B2: Ink Mine - Inkling sets an Ink Mine down in her ink.
Down B3: Sprinkler - Inkling sets a Sprinkler down on the field. It sprays a continuous stream of ink, before disappearing. Only one can be placed at a time. Can also be picked up and thrown.

Jab: Two quick punches. Rapid jab: Inkling shoots her Splattershot Jr., rapidly spraying ink close range at the enemy.

Last edited:

Aura

Infiltrator
I'll take a swing at this, why not.
  • (B)1: Splattershot: A three-burst ink attack that pushes opponents while dealing minor damage. The ink fired leaves a pool of ink that is very slippery that lasts only for a short time.
  • (B)2: Rapidshot: Fires in quicker, stronger bursts, but at the cost of range and no pool. Makes opponents flinch.
  • (B)3: Splatterpush: Has the widest range but deals not damage and has slow, large bursts. Pushes opponents still.
  • (B)>1: Burst Bombs: Throws a bomb in an arc that blows up on impact. Fairly strong and good knockback.
  • (B)>2: Squeak Bomb: Throws a smaller bomb that blows up, creating a small ink pool while tripping anyone hit.
  • (B)>3: Ink Bomb: Throws a stronger bomb that explodes shortly after impact. Is thrown in a lower, but longer arc.
  • (B)v1: Squid Swim: Swims forward in ink as Squid, knocking anyone hit upwards. In the sky, head-dives as Squid, meteor-smashing anyone directly hit.
  • (B)v2: Rough Swim: Swim/dive slower, but hit enemies multiple times and then launch them.
  • (B)v3: Stealth Swim: Swim/Dive quickly while becoming immune as you travel. Has a sweet spot at the end of the move which paralyzes opponents.
  • (B)^1: Squid Jump: Jumps upwards in Squid Form, bashing anyone nearby away, then free-falls in humanoid form.
  • (B) ^2: Inkplosion Jump: Jumps upwards as a humanoid, but blows up before taking off, knocking foes away- enough to KO them but doesn't go as high. Leaves a pool of ink under you.
  • (B)^3: Squid Leap: Jump higher with the cost of no attack at the start. Has more diagonal movement.
  • Final Smash: Release The Kraken: Transform into a powerful Squid that infinitely swims, dealing great damage and knockback to anyone it hits. Can Squid Jump straight upwards to catch airborne foes by jumping and create giant ink pools by pressing B. Once over, all the ink disappears and the Inkling returns to humanoid form.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm very tempted to place frame data on some of these moves. But it's probably too much.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
Me and my sister were talking about this the other night and had some good things in mind - and now I forget most of them. I'll try:

-Jab: Punch first, then kick, then go into weak shots from the Splattershot/Jr..
-Forward Smash: Charger, maybe with more range the more you charge it.
-Down Smash: Brush, with a swipe at each side.
-Up Smash: Splattershot, with about three shots overhead.
-Up Tilt: Swiping the Brush upward.
-Side Tilt: Swiping the Brush to the side.
-Down Tilt: Might as well stick with the Brush theme and while crouching, stick the Brush out straight and pull back almost like Lucina/Marth's.
-Standard Special: Shots with the Splattershot, with a medium to small range. Pushes opponents away like Mario's F.L.U.D.D though with smaller range, and deals a small bit of damage.
-Side Special: Pull out the Roller and run whatever side inputted.
-Up Special: Super Jump, too good to miss out on.
-Down Special: Pull out a grenade, and either carry it or throw it slightly in front of you.

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
I really can't go into what button combinations I would set for the attacks, since I don't really know a whole lot of combinations.

Anyway, I would like to see Inkling use the weapons that are usable in Splatoon. Nothing but weapons. The Splattershot weapon could be used for attacking at a distance, the Roller could be used for when you're on the move. Sort of like Yoshi's mobile egg attack, but with less speed/more control.

As for final smash, perhaps something involving a giant squid, since Inklings can transform into squids. Just a wild thought.

Ness

Full Squid
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
Victory animations could easily be the same ones we have in Splatoon. One with the Roller, Splattershot, and Charger weapons.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think it would probably be a fairly fast/campy character while also being light. I think it could end up being a very technical character that could pay off if you learned them to their potential. :)

Gunster25

Pro Squid
I think a cool mechanic would be that whilst in the Inkling's humanoid form most of your attacks will spray ink around the stage and slowly use up your ink tank, this means that when your supply of ink runs out you are forced to use Down B to transform into a squid and refill, whilst in the ink you will be vulnerable to enemy attacks. It would almost definitely be the character's main weakness to balance it out with others.

Blooper

Inkling
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
Neutral special: Bomb
Side Special: Splat Charger
Down Special: Splat Roller
Up Special: Super Jump
Final Smash: Kracken
I think Judd would appear alongside you during the victory animation.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
I would imagine a major mechanic they would have is covering the stage in Ink to allow faster movement and slow down opponents. Of course opponents that do moves that cover the ground (dsmash / dtilt) would clean off the ink a bit and opposing Inklings can cover enemy Ink with their own color! (Would definitely make them interesting fighters to use in doubles)

Their speed would probably be slower in comparison to other characters that share a similar size and weight to them, as compensation for what the Ink provides for the Inklings.
Their crouch would be turning into a Squid, and crawling would be their way of moving fast when Ink is on the ground.

The general playstyle would be similar to Mega Man, in the way that many of their normals are projectiles as well. FSmash could be a Splat Charger for example, and more attacks than just the neutral special could cover Ink on the stage.
With that in mind, I guess the neutral special could be the Splat Bomb? With the Splattershot being the Jab. The Up Special would have to be the Squid Jump, and the Final Smash being Inkstrike. Though I am currently at a blank for the side and down specials at this current moment.

I don't necessarily have a complete idea on what they would be like, but I see a lot of potential with the ideas that I've played with and seen tossed around.

Last edited:

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
Jab - Splattershot in up to three bursts, similar to Mega Man's

Aerial's/Tilts - I could see the paintbrush being used for these, a bit like with characters who use swords

Smash attacks - An assortment of bombs and mines, like Snake's smashes in Brawl

Neutral B - Similar to Yoshi/Sonic/Jigglypuff's roll. Holding B charges the Roller and on releasing they charge forward for the duration of the move

Side B - Splat Charger, with holding B increasing the range of the shot

Up B - Super Jump, similar in effect to Pit's UpB, solely for recovery and no damaging effect

Final Smash - Killer Wail, similar effect's to Mario's Final Smash, carrying people off-screen

But really, with that many different weapons, the possibilities are endless!

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
Basic (Ground)
Neutral: Splattershot Jr
Side-tilt: Inkbrush jab
Up-tilt: Inkbrush slash (arc)
Down-tilt: Roller swipe
Dash: Roller run

Smash
Note: Smashes leave a short-range burst of ink, if ammo is available
Side: Killer Wail - Short-range, wide hitbox; leaves ink if it hits anything.
Down: Inkzooka - Fires at Inkling's feet
Up: Inkstrike - Similar to Villager's usmash; showers ink over Inkling

Air
Neutral: Inkbrush Strike - Spins around with the inkbrush
Up: Squid Drill - multihit drilling attack
Forward: Splat Charger - long-range attack
Back: Blaster - Powerful short-range burst
Down: Burst Bomb - drops a weak explosive straight down

Throw
Forward: Slaps them across the face with tentacles, sending them forward
Up: Shoots them up in the air with Splattershot Jr
Back: Grabs them with the tentacles and spins rapidly, launching them back.
Down: Straps them to an ink mine, and it explodes.

Specials (default)
Note: Much like Robin, Splatoons have an ammo limit that can recover with time. Specials and smashes drain ink, limiting how much they can get spammed at once. They can either replenish naturally, or more quickly with Squid Mode.
Neutral: Ink Grenade - Throws a grenade in an arc. Leaves a quickly evaporating puddle where it lands. Medium ink use.
Side: Splash Wall - Stationary object drop, stops projectiles and hurts enemies if they pass through. Leaves only a little ink on the ground, heavy ink use.
Up: Super Jump - what it says on the tin; no ink use.
Down: Squid Mode - Turns into a squid, greatly reducing height and weight. Hard to hit normally--except if they're on their ink puddle, greatly increasing their speed and jump distance. Can be canceled out with any attack or jump.

Final Smash
UNLEASH THE KRAAAKKKEEENNNN

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom