• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What's the deal with Japanese players?

bagelcubed

Inkling
NNID
bageltrademark
"OMG I hate the japanese blahblahblah"
"im actually s++++ its just the japanese players bring me down :mad:((((("
"cant they just stop playing splatoon theyre making it all serious :(("
"non of them have fun like theyre all about kills wats their deal they ruined my party???!!!!111"

Which one are you?! Comment down below :D

Okay, all jokes aside, have you guys genuinely ever consistently had issues with Japanese players?

I'm from England, roughly in-between America and Japan (6,826km to USA, 9,195km to Japan. USA to Japan is 10,144km) and I've never had any consistent major issues with either side. Sure, there's the occasional TC game where one player makes the tower go all super saiyan sanic speed on me, but that's about it. Then again, maybe I'm just used to the lag as I get it from both sides, so I've just adapted to it. Who knows. Maybe that 1000 kilometre makes all the difference for you guys?

But anyway.
I play with Japanese players all the time; I usually play in the morning, when all the nerds are asleep in the EU and America, leaving me lobbies full of laggy, hate-fuelled, squid-party-hating, only-in-it-for-the-kills, squids.
Yeah right.
They play just as you and me, and I've had a ton of squid-parties, too. I rarely come across squid-baggers, and they tend to praise good kills AND use nice/booyah to signal enemies. (Not to say all western players don't do this of course, I just wanted to point out many Japanese players do it too)

This is my last point, but I'll put it out more bluntly as a statement than an opinion:
I rank up a ton easier around 8pm GMT+0 (the times lobbies are filled with US players for me) than in the morning or mid-day when ranked and TW are filled with Japanese players.

Well, I sort of just ranted there, but I'd been meaning to get it off my chest.
If you want to add to this with your experiences or opinions, go for it!

Last edited:

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
"OMG I hate the japanese blahblahblah"
"im actually s++++ its just the japanese players bring me down :mad:((((("
"cant they just stop playing splatoon theyre making it all serious :(("
"non of them have fun like theyre all about kills wats their deal they ruined my party???!!!!111"
It's one thing if someone's going to complain about lag, but to complain about Japanese players taking the game too seriously just sounds like a bunch of salt to me. I've been in tons of squid parties where the other seven squid partiers in the lobby were Japanese. I battle in tons of turf wars everyday and see just as many excellent American or Europe/Oceania players as I do Japanese players. It really drives me crazy when people blame their rank on them. Those people need to recognize that their consecutive rank downs are something they're doing wrong. It's not the supposedly out of control Japanese players ranking down. I did just fine on my journey from S to S+ and had just about everyone else in the lobby Japanese (with the exception of one or two other players in the lobby sometimes). Basically, everything negative that others have to say about Japanese players contradicts what I've experienced.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Plus I've said this several times before, but worth mentioning, its not a good idea to assume the nationality of the player and make judgments about them based on that. Non-Japanese people may either 1) live in Japan, 2) own a Japanese Wii U, or 3) copy a Mii with kana to their Wii U.

Obviously the majority of players with kana in their names are Japanese people, but making assumptions about people based on which country you think they're from is kind of not cool.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Some complaints come from the higher average skill level of Japanese players which rightfully intimidates some people. I've seen some AMAZING JP players who have ROFLstomped my teams.The idea of "JP players are srs bsns" or "They don't know the meaning of fun" isn't entirely baseless but harshly criticizing them and even shunning them because of their skill isn't right. I mean really, it's the same as going up to a professional League of Legends player and talking crap to them because they're good. Like, what? Really dude? Are you sure it's them and not your own skill?

I understand lag complaints but if Splatfests have taught me anything it's that lag can also occur by people IN YOUR OWN REGION.

Magnus0

Pro Squid
I live in the Netherlands and mostly play in the mornings, so I almost exclusively play with Japanese players. I never really had problems with it, or thought about it really. I seem to be able to keep with the Japanese just fine, so I never felt that I was different or less dedicated than the Japanese players I usually play with.

I don't think race can determine a maximum skill level. It's not like a Japanese player has more potential than a non-Japanese player.
I feel like everyone can solo to at least S rank if you really want to. Japanese just happen to really want to, more so than Europeans.

Europeans are generally ultra casual. Whenever I walk through Inkopolis to see what rank they are, they're usually at C or B- and they have the crappiest gear. And that's almost every European I come across. I pretty much have to order gear I want from players I just lobbied with, because most Europeans are just too casual to care about good gear. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

CamoFanatic123

Inkster Jr.
I seem to lose because the other team had a Japanese player on it, but I don't know though ._.
I used to be A rank, then went down to A-, now I'm B+ because I kept losing :(

Last edited:

Shorrin

Inkling
NNID
Namieami
I don't mind Japanese players. There's not much you can really do to avoid them, so why not have some fun with them?

Maave

Inkling Commander
I play at night so I almost always play against Japanese players. I don't even know if there's a difference because I don't play enough against Americans to compare it.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
another European who's lobbies are primarily made up of Japanese folk - and i welcome it. i've known from EU and EU/NA splatfests that i.. would MUCH rather play with JPN players, haha. probably the biggest factor for me is that people in NA have terrible internet, which isn't their fault, it's due to the infrastructure, but it's still super annoying. i'll never hold it against them, though, because that's incredibly rude.

i would never fault Japanese players for taking this game so seriously - it's THEIR game! they made it, for themselves, it's very much a Japanese-centric game. it's very western influenced too, but it was obviously primarily intended for a Japanese market, duh. the shooter market isn't that popular in Japan as has been said many times before, while western players prefer more "hardcore" games, Splatoon is exactly what Japanese folk want, so they play it. it's unfair to get mad at them for enjoying their own game, honestly? i cannot stand that attitude at all.

i also engage a lot in the Japanese Splatoon fandom, and they are all really sweet. they may seem ~so hardcore~ but in actuality, the majority of them are all about having a good time, they're very enthusiastic and helpful and love to play with westerners when they get a chance. of course, i imagine they have their fair share of "god i'm sick of playing with westerners they're all so laggy" from time to time :p

also the idea that Japanese players are more skilled is not true. the fact is that there's a disproportionate amount of Japanese players, meaning, in pure numbers, more S/S+ players are Japanese. the ratio/percentage would be about the same of "how many high ranked players are there in Japan vs the west". it's just that you're more likely to see Japanese players filling those ranks. also, especially European players are REALLY casual. you ever tried to find a EU-centric squad? :p

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Im on the 'Japanese players are not an issue' boat. I felt the lag issues and disconnects way more often during north American splatfests.
So happy splatfests are done.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
also the idea that Japanese players are more skilled is not true. the fact is that there's a disproportionate amount of Japanese players, meaning, in pure numbers, more S/S+ players are Japanese. the ratio/percentage would be about the same of "how many high ranked players are there in Japan vs the west". it's just that you're more likely to see Japanese players filling those ranks.:p
Ehhhhhhh... some could argue the whole "JP players are more skilled" point. =/

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
Ehhhhhhh... some could argue the whole "JP players are more skilled" point. =/
and in my opinion, they'd be wrong.

okay, you could say they're more skilled, but that's only because they dedicate more time to this game than we do for reasons I listed. but people try to argue that Japanese players are more skilled just by inherent nature of being Japanese, which is close-minded and not to mention, pretty dismissive of their accomplishments.

basically, Japanese players took the time to git gud. if you do the same, then they're literally equal opponents. that's what it boils down to, more or less.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

okay, you could say they're more skilled, but that's only because they dedicate more time to this game than we do for reasons I listed. but people try to argue that Japanese players are more skilled just by inherent nature of being Japanese, which is close-minded and not to mention, pretty dismissive of their accomplishments.

basically, Japanese players took the time to git gud. if you do the same, then they're literally equal opponents. that's what it boils down to, more or less.
This. There's insanely dedicated players of inhuman skill the world over in all games, not just Splatoon. The dedication and, let's be honest, obsession it takes to be the very best in a given digital arena is kind of a universal concept.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet

That makes sense. This type of mindset is (if you ask me) a result of stereotype that the Japanese are just better at video games in general.
This. There's insanely dedicated players of inhuman skill the world over in all games, not just Splatoon. The dedication and, let's be honest, obsession it takes to be the very best in a given digital arena is kind of a universal concept.
-cough cough- Super Monkey Ball -cough- Sorry, there's a thing going around. XD

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
I have nothing against japanese players, really. They're more fun to play with than american players 99% of the time.
This. I've run into my fair share of god-tier JP players as well, but mostly they come across as just being really fun folks to play with. Even if they're not straight-up squid partying, they'll generally be more polite and forgiving than the majority of the NA (or at least non-JP) players I've dealt with, and the ones with insane skills usually don't just sit there and pursue the easiest targets all match over and over again.

Speaking as an American with shoddy internet (sorry, rest of the world), I love me some JP lobbies :'D

G

girigiriHERO

What is up with Japanese Splatoon players and their obsession with naming themselves after food? That's my only "beef" with them if you will because it's down right strange. I have a LOT of Japanese friends and none of them understand this either, but I would say 75% of the Japanese players I encounter in Splatoon matches have absurd food names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom