1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

What's the deal with Japanese players?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by bagelcubed, Sep 23, 2016.

1. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

I don't see any named after clothing though :p

2. Spiderface

Spiderface Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Spiderface1992
    Exactly!

My time zone is a hour off Japan cause I'm in Australia, and it's not common at all for me to have non Japanese players in my lobby and I really don't care. I don't consider them to be better players. When I play early in the morning my time, there are more non Japanese players about I don't notice a difference. I get a little excited cause I can read all the silly screen names so if someone does something good I can say "DAMN YOU *English screen name*" rather than just "DAMN YOU.....DYNAMO WITH THE UGLY HAT..."

It's such a silly stereotype. Perfect example of confirmation bias and the fundamental attribution error.

No excuses IMO anyway.

3. DynamoCamostar34

DynamoCamostar34 Full Squid

NNID:
    Rhythmkoopa34
    I always get killed by a Japanese... :(

4. CamoFanatic123

CamoFanatic123 Inkster Jr.

Oh :(
    I Splatted Japanese players before ahahah... ;_;

5. Green Waffles

Green Waffles Inkling Fleet Admiral

Some of my best solo queqe teammates and random squid party comrades were japanese guys(or gals) =0

Bad internet is a universal thing... but splatfests taught me the same thing.
    Granted some of my WORST lag moments were outside of splatfests(and some were players with japanese characters for names), NAonly splatfests still consistently gave me bad connection, and at least 50% of my night party splatooneys had teleporting booty shooters >=/

THEY SHOT INK . . .

OUT OF THEIR BUTT!

[​IMG]

Ansible and Mr. 9 like this.
  6. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

I like Dude's videos of the flying Kraken

Green Waffles likes this.
  7. Lindsey Rapisarda

Lindsey Rapisarda Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    invadermarkb
    To be honest Japanese don't annoy me, but the issues Splatoon has makes me hate playing it.

8. 16bitdave

16bitdave Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    16bitdave
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-4349-8419-7001
    If it weren't for Japan then Nintendo may not exist. Thanks Japan. :) Don't hate the player hate the game. It's just a game. I'm American and I welcome all players good or bad.

Sammy and Mr. 9 like this.
  9. Mr. 9

Mr. 9 Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    interesting_deal
    The Japanese players…

Meh, sometimes I splat them, sometimes they splat me. That’s really similar to any game I play. In truth, I think they are probably more dedicated than other regions to this game. That’s OK too. I’m glad for their participation, since lobbies fill up faster.

If they are on the other team, they suck. If they are on my team, they are my best friends! That’s my take. ;)

Spiderface likes this.
  10. Sammy

Sammy Inkling

NNID:
    10sam01
    I'm not really on a particular side from those options.

I love when I go against really great players, makes for a challenge and forces me to strategize more. :) Take losses against other good players as a learning tool, just pay attention to little things they do and see if you could benefit from it also. It would make it more helpful if Splatoon had a spectator feature for this reason.

16bitdave and girigiriHERO like this.
  11. DynamoCamostar34

DynamoCamostar34 Full Squid

NNID:
    Rhythmkoopa34
    Actaully, once there was a whole team of JP players...

12. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

They play the game, and they're from Japan. What else is there to talk about? Saying literally anything else could be considered racist (because it would be).

However, getting put against them can be annoying, simply because of the distance. I have no idea why Nintendo's matchmaking does this...

13. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

due to it being a new IP and having no idea how well it would do, worldwide matchmaking was the only option.

14. Lyn

Premium

That is definitely not how it works. This issue is also present in Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. If anything, doing that is a huge risk since if there is a lot of lag your IP was now just completely killed because nobody can (or wants to) play.

15. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

MK8 has regional play and world wide, I'm not sure with Smash as I've only played it locally.

16. chrisbg99

chrisbg99 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    chrisbg99
    I've never found Japanese players any particularly better than anybody else. I dunno why that ever became a thing.

Lyn likes this.
  17. Lyn

Premium

Likely stereotypes mixed with that if Splatoon is matching you with someone on the other side of the planet (more or less, depending on where you live), they are likely much higher ranked since there was nobody around your level available to connect to.

18. ☆あきら☆

☆あきら☆ Inkling

NNID:
    Kikyo8
    "What's the deal with Japanese players?" Ta loca "what's the deal"!

19. Grflrgl

Grflrgl Inkster Jr.

I don't have a problem with the Japanese players. I've seen some spectacular Japanese players, and spectacular non-Japanese players. I've seen some really bad Japanese players, and bad non-Japanese players. I think most of this comes form the lag, which seems - in general - to be less of a problem for the Japanese players than anyone else.

20. mar¡

mar¡ Inkling

I actually prefer the Japanese players. They tend to squid party more often, respond more to Cmons and Booyahs, and generally teach me neat stuff. I learned flanking and splatdashing from watching and playing with them.

I've noticed there were a lot more American/EU players lately; I assume from getting the game for Christmas. I kind of get frustrated because while I understand Splatoon takes some getting used to, I miss the niche playstyles I get from more experienced players, who just happen to be Japanese.

I don't have any grievances with them at all. I kind of wish I know Japanese just to browse their forums.