• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What's the deal with Japanese players?

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
and in my opinion, they'd be wrong.

okay, you could say they're more skilled, but that's only because they dedicate more time to this game than we do for reasons I listed. but people try to argue that Japanese players are more skilled just by inherent nature of being Japanese, which is close-minded and not to mention, pretty dismissive of their accomplishments.

basically, Japanese players took the time to git gud. if you do the same, then they're literally equal opponents. that's what it boils down to, more or less.
Exactly!

My time zone is a hour off Japan cause I'm in Australia, and it's not common at all for me to have non Japanese players in my lobby and I really don't care. I don't consider them to be better players. When I play early in the morning my time, there are more non Japanese players about I don't notice a difference. I get a little excited cause I can read all the silly screen names so if someone does something good I can say "DAMN YOU *English screen name*" rather than just "DAMN YOU.....DYNAMO WITH THE UGLY HAT..."

It's such a silly stereotype. Perfect example of confirmation bias and the fundamental attribution error.

No excuses IMO anyway.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Some of my best solo queqe teammates and random squid party comrades were japanese guys(or gals) =0

I've known from EU and EU/NA splatfests that I.. would MUCH rather play with JPN players, haha. probably the biggest factor for me is that people in NA have terrible internet
Bad internet is a universal thing... but splatfests taught me the same thing.
Granted some of my WORST lag moments were outside of splatfests(and some were players with japanese characters for names), NAonly splatfests still consistently gave me bad connection, and at least 50% of my night party splatooneys had teleporting booty shooters >=/

THEY SHOT INK . . .

OUT OF THEIR BUTT!

G

girigiriHERO

Some of my best solo queqe teammates and random squid party comrades were japanese guys(or gals) =0

Bad internet is a universal thing... but splatfests taught me the same thing.
Granted some of my WORST lag moments were outside of splatfests(and some were players with japanese characters for names), NAonly splatfests still consistently gave me bad connection, and at least 50% of my night party splatooneys had teleporting booty shooters >=/

THEY SHOT INK . . .

OUT OF THEIR BUTT!

I like Dude's videos of the flying Kraken

16bitdave

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
16bitdave
Switch Friend Code
SW-4349-8419-7001
If it weren't for Japan then Nintendo may not exist. Thanks Japan. :) Don't hate the player hate the game. It's just a game. I'm American and I welcome all players good or bad.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
The Japanese players…

Meh, sometimes I splat them, sometimes they splat me. That’s really similar to any game I play. In truth, I think they are probably more dedicated than other regions to this game. That’s OK too. I’m glad for their participation, since lobbies fill up faster.

If they are on the other team, they suck. If they are on my team, they are my best friends! That’s my take. ;)

Sammy

Inkling
NNID
10sam01
I'm not really on a particular side from those options.

I love when I go against really great players, makes for a challenge and forces me to strategize more. :) Take losses against other good players as a learning tool, just pay attention to little things they do and see if you could benefit from it also. It would make it more helpful if Splatoon had a spectator feature for this reason.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
They play the game, and they're from Japan. What else is there to talk about? Saying literally anything else could be considered racist (because it would be).

However, getting put against them can be annoying, simply because of the distance. I have no idea why Nintendo's matchmaking does this...

G

girigiriHERO

They play the game, and they're from Japan. What else is there to talk about? Saying literally anything else could be considered racist (because it would be).

However, getting put against them can be annoying, simply because of the distance. I have no idea why Nintendo's matchmaking does this...
due to it being a new IP and having no idea how well it would do, worldwide matchmaking was the only option.

Lyn

Premium
due to it being a new IP and having no idea how well it would do, worldwide matchmaking was the only option.
That is definitely not how it works. This issue is also present in Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. If anything, doing that is a huge risk since if there is a lot of lag your IP was now just completely killed because nobody can (or wants to) play.

G

girigiriHERO

That is definitely not how it works. This issue is also present in Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. If anything, doing that is a huge risk since if there is a lot of lag your IP was now just completely killed because nobody can (or wants to) play.
MK8 has regional play and world wide, I'm not sure with Smash as I've only played it locally.

chrisbg99

Inkster Jr.
NNID
chrisbg99
I've never found Japanese players any particularly better than anybody else. I dunno why that ever became a thing.

Reactions: Lyn

Lyn

Premium
I've never found Japanese players any particularly better than anybody else. I dunno why that ever became a thing.
Likely stereotypes mixed with that if Splatoon is matching you with someone on the other side of the planet (more or less, depending on where you live), they are likely much higher ranked since there was nobody around your level available to connect to.

Grflrgl

Inkster Jr.
I don't have a problem with the Japanese players. I've seen some spectacular Japanese players, and spectacular non-Japanese players. I've seen some really bad Japanese players, and bad non-Japanese players. I think most of this comes form the lag, which seems - in general - to be less of a problem for the Japanese players than anyone else.

mar¡

Inkling
I actually prefer the Japanese players. They tend to squid party more often, respond more to Cmons and Booyahs, and generally teach me neat stuff. I learned flanking and splatdashing from watching and playing with them.

I've noticed there were a lot more American/EU players lately; I assume from getting the game for Christmas. I kind of get frustrated because while I understand Splatoon takes some getting used to, I miss the niche playstyles I get from more experienced players, who just happen to be Japanese.

I don't have any grievances with them at all. I kind of wish I know Japanese just to browse their forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom