• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What's with Nintendo's quality control lately?

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ct_in_japan_as_yo-kai_watch_busters_dominates
They didn't buy the game, that week was the most it was sold over there. Baffling, really.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/yoshis_woolly_world_secures_top_10_spot_in_us_npd_charts
We did however. Remember, NPD doesn't track digital sales so it sold even more than that when you include eShop sales. It even outsold the Uncharted Collection for PS4 and Yoshi was released in the middle of the month. Very impressive for Yoshi to manage the top 10 for that month for the Wii U despite what little buzz it got. I even bought it and I'm loving every second of it. Really, best Yoshi game since Island.

I agree with all of your statements. Wooly World is the best Yoshi game I've played since Island and I played Story, Touch and Go, and Island DS since the original Island and none of them were nearly as engaging as Wooly World is. It's extremely confusing to see it sell so poorly over there but BATMAN outsold it on it's launch week in Japan. I'm sorry, but what? I can see Star Wars doing well because there's a surprising amount of fans over there.

I agree, they really need to stop catering to Japan. I'm not saying listen to us all of the time, but try to act like we exist. It's annoying seeing Sakurai just happen to notice what the Japanese want but appear to turn a blind eye to what the westerners want. Also, I have my personal issues with FE Fates due to clearly appealing to a "certain" part of the Japanese FE fanbase with the amount of disgusting fanservice but I'll stop there.
It does make since that a Yo-Kai Watch game sold better than a Yoshi game. I mean, Yo-Kai Watch is huge over at Japan right now compared to Yoshi. Nintendo should've noticed how well Woolly World did everywhere else, but they rather ignore it instead. :/

I'm guessing Japan has different tastes now or something. I'm not too sure how big the Star Wars fanbase is over there, but if it's just as big as Batman's fanbase, then I can understand it. I still find it appalling that an EA game is selling really well over there. EA's one of many companies I sorely hate due to their practices.

Don't forget about Persona x FE next year, but I think it's best we all pretend it doesn't exist. Heck, we haven't heard much about it since E3.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
It does make since that a Yo-Kai Watch game sold better than a Yoshi game. I mean, Yo-Kai Watch is huge over at Japan right now compared to Yoshi. Nintendo should've noticed how well Woolly World did everywhere else, but they rather ignore it instead. :/

I'm guessing Japan has different tastes now or something. I'm not too sure how big the Star Wars fanbase is over there, but if it's just as big as Batman's fanbase, then I can understand it. I still find it appalling that an EA game is selling really well over there. EA's one of many companies I sorely hate due to their practices.

Don't forget about Persona x FE next year, but I think it's best we all pretend it doesn't exist. Heck, we haven't heard much about it since E3.
Genei Ibun Roku #FE... I prefer Persona X FE, I just groaned at the trailer to that. I mean...holy... I'll pretend it didn't exist...it just blows my mind that they'd make something like that... I mean, seriously it just looks awful.

I'm not surprised Yo-Kai Watch was on top. It's the big thing in Japan right now on the handheld gaming front, I can't blame them for that. It's an extremely addictive and fast paced game with gorgeous visuals and an amazing city to explore with a butt ton of monsters to collect. I can totally see the appeal and I'm a fan now. I can't wait to them to release the second game, the Level 5 CEO more or less confirmed it for over here.

It's Batman selling better than Yoshi's launch week that really perplexed me. I know Japan isn't a fan of console games these days (Splatoon being the exception) and they don't care for the Wii U at all (Again, Splatoon being the exception) but Ninty really pushed it in Japan and it didn't sell well. It's really sad because it's such a warm and good feeling (no pun intended) platformer and I want it to do well.

Nintendo pretending that Yoshi didn't do well bums me out, it sold well enough here in America, but since it failed in Europe and Japan they don't say anything. Why can't they forget about amiibo festival and Ultra Bland already?

EA can disappear for all I care. I got burned by them more than once and I'll never throw a penny at them again. Their business practices really make my skin crawl.

Fakevox

Senior Squid
Nintendo pretending that Yoshi didn't do well bums me out, it sold well enough here in America, but since it failed in Europe and Japan they don't say anything. Why can't they forget about amiibo festival and Ultra Bland already?
Only selling "well enough" in a single territory kinda means it didn't do well. Metroid is a great series (one of their best), but that also tends to bomb over in Japan.

And outselling a set of remasters isn't the most impressive feat, especially considering that Uncharted 2 is the only one people care about.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Only selling "well enough" in a single territory kinda means it didn't do well. Metroid is a great series (one of their best), but that also tends to bomb over in Japan.

And outselling a set of remasters isn't the most impressive feat, especially considering that Uncharted 2 is the only one people care about.
For the Wii U, any positive news is good news considering the system's sad fate. And if Yoshi beat out a collection of remasters on a system that sold over three times more than the Wii U and helped contribute to it's demise, I consider that a success.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Aside from Happy Home Academy (which is actually a good game), I have to agree with OP. Sure the games don't have bugs, but that's not all there is to quality control. Each game listed as some sort of awkward flaw design that makes no sense why they have it. Sure single player is great in Zelda, but why have one in a supposed multiplayer only game? Why does Chibi Robo Zip Lash make you play each level, have you spin a roulette to get to each one, let you have the ability to skip nearly every level, and still have grinding for money at the end boss? Why does Mario Tennis not have a tournament mode, or another court for that matter? These are all things simply not thought through, and really shows Nintendo either needs to slow down and wonder why they are making it this way or stop trying to make a game last longer than it actually is.

Course amiibo Festival is garbage because all it's design flaws led back to amiibo cards and figures being the way they are. But as far as I can tell this is the only game that actually suffers because of amiibo.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Genei Ibun Roku #FE... I prefer Persona X FE, I just groaned at the trailer to that. I mean...holy... I'll pretend it didn't exist...it just blows my mind that they'd make something like that... I mean, seriously it just looks awful.

I'm not surprised Yo-Kai Watch was on top. It's the big thing in Japan right now on the handheld gaming front, I can't blame them for that. It's an extremely addictive and fast paced game with gorgeous visuals and an amazing city to explore with a butt ton of monsters to collect. I can totally see the appeal and I'm a fan now. I can't wait to them to release the second game, the Level 5 CEO more or less confirmed it for over here.

It's Batman selling better than Yoshi's launch week that really perplexed me. I know Japan isn't a fan of console games these days (Splatoon being the exception) and they don't care for the Wii U at all (Again, Splatoon being the exception) but Ninty really pushed it in Japan and it didn't sell well. It's really sad because it's such a warm and good feeling (no pun intended) platformer and I want it to do well.

It screams weeaboo bait to me. That's all I have to say about it.

Even though the game originally came out two years ago in Japan, Yo-Kai Watch is probably one of a few good games I liked this year. Heck, I played it more than Tri 'Farce' Heroes. That goes to show you how much I love it.

Me, too. I played more of Woolly World today and I still love it. It's a darn shame it didn't do all that well in Japan. Splatoon's the only Wii U game to do very well and I find it a miracle that it did do well in a country that loves mobile games anymore.

Because both the Amiibo & Mario print money for them now.

CodyMKW

Pro Squid
NNID
CodyMKW
Switch Friend Code
SW-2549-4631-6600
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer is not stripped down version of New Leaf fun and addicting introduces even more new items in the game that are not in New Leaf ;)

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
It screams weeaboo bait to me. That's all I have to say about it.

Even though the game originally came out two years ago in Japan, Yo-Kai Watch is probably one of a few good games I liked this year. Heck, I played it more than Tri 'Farce' Heroes. That goes to show you how much I love it.

Me, too. I played more of Woolly World today and I still love it. It's a darn shame it didn't do all that well in Japan. Splatoon's the only Wii U game to do very well and I find it a miracle that it did do well in a country that loves mobile games anymore.

Because both the Amiibo & Mario print money for them now.
That's what Fire Emblem is becoming from what I'm seeing. People right now are giving Ninty hell for IMO unneeded complaints regarding censoring Fatal Frame and Xenoblade X. I don't know why they need games to get off, but I'll stop there.

Yokai Watch is one of the few games this year I'm playing for more than a week straight. Not a whole lot of games can say that. My brother is also really attached to it and we have to practically fight for the game card. XD

Yoshi's Wooly World is likely one of those games that may get enough sales throughout it's life. Right now, it's not selling well. But as the Wii U fades away, people will start to try and find new games to play on it for collection or wanting to play something new and this game will interest those people. I don't see it going on sale for that reason as well. It's a wonderful game and I'd love to show more people how much fun it is.

That video with "ben" pretty much told me to stay away from Tri 'Farce' Heroes. Though my boss from my group found it hysterical. My brother showed me some youtuber's opinion of the game and the single player is a throw away mode that is tedious and not fun. I wouldn't throw $40 at it.

There isn't a whole lot of games I bought this year, which is great because money has been tight this year. The amount of great games this year is very low. Let's hope they get their heads in place at 2016.

Last edited:

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
That video with "ben" pretty much told me to stay away from Tri 'Farce' Heroes. Though my boss from my group found it hysterical. My brother showed me some youtuber's opinion of the game and the single player is a throw away mode that is tedious and not fun. I wouldn't throw $40 at it.
I said it before, but I'll say it again. Tri 'Farce' Heroes isn't worth the $40. Even the multiplayer isn't all that great due to dealing with constant lag and incompetent players. I'm honestly thinking about getting rid of this game in the future since I really didn't enjoy it all that much.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I said it before, but I'll say it again. Tri 'Farce' Heroes isn't worth the $40. Even the multiplayer isn't all that great due to dealing with constant lag and incompetent players. I'm honestly thinking about getting rid of this game in the future since I really didn't enjoy it all that much.
You did say it depressed you. If you decide to sell it, you'll at least get some money back instead of the game rotting in your shelf. I wouldn't keep games that depresses you, especially laggy games with a chance of idiots. It's definitely not worth the $40 to me. That's a lot of money for my family.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I'm glad I am so far finding Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon great. I have skipped out on Gates to Infinity so I really can't comment on it but I am finding myself struggling and barely surviving in even story related dungeons in PSMD and I tried to go into a "Super Difficult" dungeon not fully prepared hoping my 50+ leveled recruited Pokemon will be sufficient enough but I lost and decided to not go for a rescue or go back to my last save since I fulfilled other quests on my way and did not want to lose out on them and the game really did get rid of all held items and cash when before I believe previous games left some items left. This game is hard and not a pushover.

If you are looking for a solid 3DS game with quality recently released in NA I highly recommend this. I do know Mystery Dungeon games are not for everyone which may lead to some iffy reviews about PSMD but if you like them you can't go wrong with this.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
You did say it depressed you. If you decide to sell it, you'll at least get some money back instead of the game rotting in your shelf. I wouldn't keep games that depresses you, especially laggy games with a chance of idiots. It's definitely not worth the $40 to me. That's a lot of money for my family.
Trust me, the game itself is extremely laggy. Even with really fast internet, it's still gonna be laggy. I mean, I don't get this much lag in Splatoon (every once in a while I do), but it's really awful in TFH. I am indeed thinking of getting rid of it probably sometime early next year. What's the point in playing something you don't enjoy, right?

I'm glad I am so far finding Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon great. I have skipped out on Gates to Infinity so I really can't comment on it but I am finding myself struggling and barely surviving in even story related dungeons in PSMD and I tried to go into a "Super Difficult" dungeon not fully prepared hoping my 50+ leveled recruited Pokemon will be sufficient enough but I lost and decided to not go for a rescue or go back to my last save since I fulfilled other quests on my way and did not want to lose out on them and the game really did get rid of all held items and cash when before I believe previous games left some items left. This game is hard and not a pushover.

If you are looking for a solid 3DS game with quality recently released in NA I highly recommend this. I do know Mystery Dungeon games are not for everyone which may lead to some iffy reviews about PSMD but if you like them you can't go wrong with this.
I'm definitely getting this game for Christmas. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more than a Zelda game that didn't live up to my expectations.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Every time you misspell "amiibo" a nintendo employee loses their wings.
Anyways I think this year for Nintendo was pretty meh when it came to quality. Splatoon has to be the best game they put out this year and if anyone disagrees then BYE...
But I'm sure next year will be even better because Zelda U is coming out... Think that'll make everyone happy! I still think it'll be a Wii U and NX game for some reason...

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Now that I actually look at 2015 titles, I think Nintendo had a good year. I'm glad to see they are giving more attention to projects that aren't their major franchises. I think they realized it's time to diversify: as great as Zelda and Mario games usually are, they can't rely on just a couple of franchises. They'll have to find the right balance so that they don't have a year made up largely of smaller projects and lesser-known titles, but it's honestly a move in the right direction. If it means more original IP from Nintendo, I'm not going to get too worked up just because Star Fox comes out next year. I mean, what if they killed Splatoon to pour resources into Zelda for a 2015 release? 2015 showed they are willing to take bigger risks and tap into more IP originality than they have in a long time. I think it's actually quite encouraging.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Trust me, the game itself is extremely laggy. Even with really fast internet, it's still gonna be laggy. I mean, I don't get this much lag in Splatoon (every once in a while I do), but it's really awful in TFH. I am indeed thinking of getting rid of it probably sometime early next year. What's the point in playing something you don't enjoy, right?
Indeed. There's no reason to keep the game if it's laggy and it depresses you. That's just a headache waiting to happen. You can use the money from selling it to buy a game you might be interested in. Thanks for the warning, the eShop is already slow enough, I can tell it would be a horrible experience.

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
The people making the games are not also in charge of designing and marketing amiibo. Totally different branch of Nintendo.

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
Not sure if it's been said here but the reason for the poor lineup as of late is because all the A+ development is going towards ensuring a good NX launch. I'm sure all the AAA titles are being developed right now for NX. Makes me sad and excited at the same time.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Not sure if it's been said here but the reason for the poor lineup as of late is because all the A+ development is going towards ensuring a good NX launch. I'm sure all the AAA titles are being developed right now for NX. Makes me sad and excited at the same time.
The NX better have good third party support or else I'm giving up on Nintendo entirely. They really shouldn't have treated third party developers like crap over the years and they already got their *** handed to them this generation. Also, their games better be great on the NX. Besides a few, the Wii U is very underwhelming when it comes to its line-up.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Nintendo has been known from many third parties throughout the years to be hard to deal with. Not sure about specifics but some third parties refuse to put their games on Nintendo's system due to events in the past. If the NX ends up like another Wii U, then I'm done. I'll focus on PC and PC alone. Too much money for only 15 games, I need more than that to justify $300+ for the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom